Sign in to follow this  
ahinterl

MD-11 (FS9): Which TO flaps?

I must be dumb somehow, but how do I determine what TO flaps setting I should put into dial-a-flap?Andreas

Call a random person and ask them kindly to pick a number between 10 and 25. Other than that theres no way to determine as there are no performance tables. OR you could just pick 1 flap setting and always use that. Some airlines use 15, 22 or 25.

One of our beta team members from an airline said they always use 22. That is what I go with.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest jacojaco

Hi, in Martinair they use always flap 25 on all takeoff, except durig special airports in which best climb perfomance is require like Quito!On high weight takeoff also flaps 28 is used, but remember when you use 28, you need to use full thrust on the engine ( 62K)

Call a random person and ask them kindly to pick a number between 10 and 25. Other than that theres no way to determine as there are no performance tables. OR you could just pick 1 flap setting and always use that. Some airlines use 15, 22 or 25.
Any chance we can get such performance tables?Andreas

Guest cfgarrod

In the airline I flew for standard flap setting for take-off was 22deg.If performance allowed, 60k reduced (flex) thrust was used and flaps 22 was the only configuration certified for flex thrust.Graphs were published for all scheduled runways and the appropriate flex was calculated for each case.Special graphs were published for airports and runways where performance was known to be critical. 62k thrust was used with an optimum (dial-a-flap) flap setting. It usually worked out that the optimum flap setting was typically around 18deg with corresponding higher v speeds. The calculation is quite complicated and involves many factors but it shouldn't be too difficult for a computer programmer with some knowledge of aircraft performance to produce a general solution. Sorry I don't have that expertise...Chris G