Sign in to follow this  
mtbparker

Help - ASA (Beta355) System.UnauthorizedAccessException

Guest tmetzinger
Hi,For sure that is the reason because AS doesn't need to ask because it uses the registry entries!
Suggestion - never let the installer ASSUME anything - have it read the registry if it wishes and prompt the user for confirmation. Since folks have widely differing configurations (including oddball ones like Tom's with FSX on two machines), it's really the only way to insure you give the users every possible chance of a good install.

Hi,For sure that is the reason because AS doesn't need to ask because it uses the registry entries!
Hi Jim,As always, thanks for the help. I went ahead last night and un-installed my FlightSim from the remote computer. I then followed up by completely cleaning out the registry of any FlightSim variables and HiFi variables. Everything left some residual stuff in the registry. I verified that the AppData folders for both FlightSim and all HiFi programs were removed and I verified that the flightSim folders were removed from "My Documents". In other words, I tried to clean up the computer as best as I knew how before reinstalling Active Sky X and ASA. I re-installed ASX. It works fine. I installed the ASA (Build 316). It worked fine. I upgraded to Build 355 beta, and once again it crashed. Same symptoms as before. Absolutely NOTHING was changed between Build 316 and Build 355 except that I ran Build 316 once to see that it worked. During the installs this time, however, both ASX and ASA did ask me for the locations of FSX and the AppData folder. I pointed them to the remote drives. At this point, I've gotta mention that your previous response does make me curious. What's the point of setting the registry variables if Active Sky (or parts of Active Sky) choose to ignore them? And further, I would agree with Tim. Always give me a chance to choose the paths during install even if it is just to confirm.In any case, after having Build 355 crash again, I deleted and readded the Microsoft Firewall entries for ASA. I deleted and re-added the "Port 500" exceptions to the firewall for SimConnect. (I didn't really need to do that. SimConnect was already working fine. But I did it anyway.) I also started the PC up in Safe Mode and once again got the same results.Once again.. I'm at a complete loss. Tom

Hi Tom,I can only suggest that you run B316 for now. At this time your machine is the only one experiencing this issue.You were asked to supply paths because we cannot search across a network for those locations.Thanks,

Hi Tom,I can only suggest that you run B316 for now. At this time your machine is the only one experiencing this issue.You were asked to supply paths because we cannot search across a network for those locations.Thanks,
Jim, I'm back to B316 due to the same error. My WinXP firewalls are disabled both on Client and Main PC. B316 works just fine. Forgot to mention I got a very similar setup like the original poster. Dirk98.

Hi All,Have we tried right mouse clicking on the ASA icon and running As Administrator?Thanks,

Hi Tom,For now just run B316 and I will tag this for the team.Thanks for your patience with this.

Hi Tom,For now just run B316 and I will tag this for the team.Thanks for your patience with this.
And thank you for keeping me on the radar. I appreciate the help.Tom

And thank you for keeping me on the radar. I appreciate the help.Tom
Hi Tom, all,There appears to be some strange issues going on here, likely related to the mapping of the paths. Please write me at damianc AT hifisim.com, I would like to troubleshoot this directly with you. I could use some specific information on what your 'drives' are mapped to. FWIW we recommend UNC vs. drive mapping, and based on the error message, it may be related to write access being improperly set. But first lets look at those paths. Thanks!

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Hi Tom, all,There appears to be some strange issues going on here, likely related to the mapping of the paths. Please write me at damianc AT hifisim.com, I would like to troubleshoot this directly with you. I could use some specific information on what your 'drives' are mapped to. FWIW we recommend UNC vs. drive mapping, and based on the error message, it may be related to write access being improperly set. But first lets look at those paths. Thanks!
Email sent. You should have my reply in your inbox. Looking forward to working with you.Tom

I'd like to publicly thank both Jim Skorna and Damian Clark for their assistance in this problem. After several email exchanges, Damian and his team were able to isolate the problem. You have one very happy customer.Tom