Sign in to follow this  
Vulcan

Just don't know how??????

Hi there all Simmers,I was just looking at a couple off screenies of some guys flying at Vatsim, but i have just got no idea how to make it work to fly (MP) flightsI have just downloaded R.W./Pro Controller and Squawkbox and installed it.Is it possible for someone to help me to understand how to make some flight at Vatsim?????Want to try some realistic flights :) for onesRegards,L.JimHotmail => little_jim@hotmail.com

Guest Macs

LJim, It'd be my pleasure to help! Ok,the following steps will just become second nature,they arent difficult and they are all worth it;)1) Setup FS,your aircraft etc at the ramp(NOT on a runway!)2)In FS,select FS->MULTIPLAYER->CONNECT3)Type in your aircrafts callsign in the PLAYERS NAME box,select TCP/IP(should already be set as that) and Click HOST. One more box should appear,name your session-whatever you like and select max pilots to 16.4)Start->Programs->Squawkbox for 2002->Squawkbox host for 2002(A grey window should appear5)Start->Programs->Squawkbox for 2002->Main Squawkbox program6)It should then open a small dialog box called the squawkbox multiplayer,simply enter the word "Squawkbox" into the Players name box. Select the first option(think its default) which says internet tcp/ip for directplay. then OK Nearly there man,and remember I've gone into this as comprehensively as I can,the above steps are easy to implement and most of your settings remain the same when you log on.7) Another Box,click search. It should ask you for an IP address,just leave that blank and press ok. You should see the MP seession you setup earlier,highlight and select by pressing join.8)So thats the Software side setup! You will need a Vatsim PID available at www.vatsim.netThere are loads of tutorials and information that will let you know what to expect when flying in this type of enviroment.The above steps are usually where most people fail,they just dont even try,and they really dont know what they are missing!Some Must Have software:Roger Wilco Mk3D(For ATC with voice)Any questions and I'll be glad to help. In fact I control EINN(Shannon,Ireland). If you are interested,I could arrange to be online and could help you out on your first online flight(always the hardest). If interested, free_it_now@hotmail.comRegardsJohn Mc Avinuehttp://www.bavirtual.co.ukP 2.53 GHZ512 RAMWINXPGFORCE 4 128MB Ti4600http://vatsim.pilotmedia.fi/statusindicato...tor=OD1&a=a.jpg

Hi John,Wauw that's what I call Help. wauwie. Thanks for your instructions i will try I out later on the day, if I have any questions I will add you to MSN oke.Many thanks,L.Jim

Guest Macs

No problem, I still remember my first flight(Meigs to O'hare),and believe me when I say it was not as daunting as it is today but that just proves how far Vatsim has come!Every flight I make these days is on Vatsim. I have never completed a flight using the Defualt ATC and before we got ADSL our phonebills were HUGE thanks to Vatsim ;)RegardsJohn Mc Avinuehttp://www.bavirtual.co.ukP 2.53 GHZ512 RAMWINXPGFORCE 4 128MB Ti4600http://vatsim.pilotmedia.fi/statusindicato...tor=OD1&a=a.jpg

Guest pagotan

Hi John,Well done! This is the best set of instructions I have ever read. Straight to the point and clear. One question however, I have been flying both VATSIM and IVAO. Is there any credible reason for many to prefer VATSIM?. When looking at both on Servinfo you can see that the number of pilots and controllers is roughly the same depending on the time of the day. VATSIM seems to have more members in the US and Canada while IVAO seems to have more emphasis in Europe. Surely there are some other reasons for people to prefer VATSIM. What is your opinion on this?Michael

Hi guys,John one question left is, this is in your article but i have no idea what it means => You will need a Vatsim PID available at www.vatsim.netIt's the Vatsim PID????????Is that the ID what is needed.Oke well I will be hearing it from you, i have also added you to my MSN oke.Regards,L.Jim

PMFJI,The 'PID' is your Vatsim ID (Pilot ID) issued when you register with Vatsim. If you haven't got this far you need to register with Vatsim before you can use the service.HTH

Guest Macs

Michael, Glad I could be of Help! The general concensus is that Vatsim tends to be more serious and there is a BIG emphasis on reality(charts,SIDS,STARTS) which is "right up my alley" so to say! I am in no means taking away from IVAO,I just never used it. Been through Satco and stuck with them during the trasition to Vatsim and never once thought about using IVAO-probably the status quo!All in all michael,you're best bet is to do 3 flights each on vatsim and then IVAO,ensure they are the same to get a fair comparison...the reason I say 3 is that controllers vary as does traffic and all,so basically you want an impression of an average flight on each network,Either service and you will enjoy it I'm sure!Any Questions-swing em my way;)John

Guest pagotan

Hi John,Thanks for your comments. I have flown both Vatsim and Ivao over the past 18 months (since I retired). I agree Vatsim is somewhat closer to reality in terms of procedures, charts etc. As a former pilot I also prefer Vatsim. I guess my point was more directed to a new comer like L. Jim who initiated this thread. It seems to me that for a first flight on line Ivao is somewhat easier. Another aspect is the world coverage of both Vatsim and Ivao. It looks like Vatsim is more "US based" and Ivao more "European based". Unfortunately we, the poor guys located in South East Asia and Autralia, are not as well represented. Put it this way: it is easier to fly KDFW-KLGA or KMIA-EDDF with manned ATC's than to fly any route in Asia/Pacific. Only time zone constraints limit our fun.Don't know why but your name sound familiar to me. Have you contributed in any addon or chart/map conversion before?CheersMichael

Guest Macs

Michael, That could well be a good idea!(Flying on IVAO first). To be honest,I fly mainly around Ireland(my home country),Britian and continental Europe and the hours I fly usually tend to coincide with that of the Vatsim controllers,by that I mean that I usually fly at around 1800+GMT and controllers are usually online...for that reason,and maybe a few more, I have never tried IVAO. The UK controllers really do have their act togethere,particularly around London and Manchester. The atc is always a joy,and you can be guaranteed a realistic flight as I beleive their ATC rating restrictions are quite tough,My two cents ;)RegardsJohn Mc Avinuehttp://www.bavirtual.co.ukP 2.53 GHZ512 RAMWINXPGFORCE 4 128MB Ti4600http://vatsim.pilotmedia.fi/statusindicato...tor=OD1&a=a.jpg

Just one comment on time zones if I may.Most of assume that controllers are local to the area they control and most of time that is true. However there are areas which have non-local controllers so time zone restrictions do not apply.I found this some years ago when participating in a round the World flight and helping to organise ATC for the various legs; often I would be told GMT time was no problem as some of the controllers were in the UTC time zone.So pilots from outside the FIR time zone just check if ATC is available at a time to suit you, and FIR's, consider acepting non-local controllers.OTOH You could always go for a 'Red-eye' special :D Rgds