Sign in to follow this  
Guest GERUNIMO

Picking PMDG's Brain about the MD-11

Guest GERUNIMO

Hi PMDG,Well before I go any farther I have long enjoyed all of your products and really enjoy your your newest creation the MD-11! I just had a few questions for you, I hope you do not take them as me picking on your product, that was not my intention.First question is; why did you decide to go with the cool fancy electronic standby gauge instead of the older analog gauges?I was curious because in your early photo's you released you could see the analog gauges in the cockpit. So I'm just curious what spurred the change.Second question is; is there a way to get the same level of detail and animations that are in the FSX VC into the FS9 VC? Such as the window shades, headsets, and flashlights etc.?I'm sure you have a completely understandable reason for doing this, I'm sure it has something to do with the limitations of FS9, but as I recall the 744 for FS9 had said tidbits.I know this is all silly eye candy and has no effect on the operation of the aircraft, but when I'm sitting on the ramp at KORD during rush hour its fun to fiddle with window shades while I wait for the 6-10 aircraft in front of me to depart. :( Oh yeah one more question before I forget, why does the compass fold away? Is it for improved visibility? Anyway, thanks for an AMAZING MD-11 product I really hope you don't take my questions as criticism. The MD-11 has a special place in my heart I've flown with World Airways quite frequently since I am in the army and always enjoy poking my head in the cockpit and bugging the flight crew, much the same way I'm bugging you now. :( Thanks for taking your time to read this,Sincerely , Jerry Hlinsky

Jerry,Thanks for your kind words, we are glad to hear you are enjoyinh our MD-11.

First question is; why did you decide to go with the cool fancy electronic standby gauge instead of the older analog gauges?I was curious because in your early photo's you released you could see the analog gauges in the cockpit. So I'm just curious what spurred the change.
This was one of the last things added and at this stage it was easier for us to do the digital version and we didn't want to delay the release for that. In a future update we might consider providing an option for an analog version as well (the analog gauges you noticed in early photos ware just not functioning bitmaps)
Second question is; is there a way to get the same level of detail and animations that are in the FSX VC into the FS9 VC? Such as the window shades, headsets, and flashlights etc.?
No way at all. We have reached the internal FS limit for the number of total polygons in the VC and we had to take out some less important stuff to stay within limits. This eye candy was the first to go. In the 747 there was room for all that, but in the MD-11 there are more switches, buttons etc.This is also the reason (among other FS9 limitations) that VC lighting is simplified missing the variable intensity effect.
Oh yeah one more question before I forget, why does the compass fold away? Is it for improved visibility?
Actually this is considered a sort of an emergency equipment, so it is always stowed in normal operatiopn. It is unfolded only when needed.

Michael Frantzeskakis
Precision Manuals Development Group
http://www.precisionmanuals.com

devteam.jpg

Guest GERUNIMO

Michael Frantzeskakis,Thanks for responding to my post. I appreciate your taking the time to answer silly questions. Anyway, you gentlemen are true artisans of this craft and deserve bowls full of accolades for the work you accomplish.I continue to enjoy your current/past work and look forward to your future products.Thanks again,Jerry Hlinsky

Actually this is considered a sort of an emergency equipment, so it is always stowed in normal operatiopn. It is unfolded only when needed.
In that case... is it possible to stow it by default?