Sign in to follow this  
Murf7413

MD-11 FSX Stab Trim

I have having a serious problem with the stab trim staying set. I will set the stab trim, and as soon as I stop where it needs to be it goes right back to FULL nose up!!!!! :( Obviously, this makes it entirely unflyable!!! I have slightly the same issue with the Levl D 767 FSX... but at least on that one, once set, it will STAY set for a while. It is not staying set at all on the MD-11.... I have absolutley NO issue with it on the 747 though!!!! :( I am running Vista Ultimate 64-bit4MB RAM

Brian Murphy

I have having a serious problem with the stab trim staying set. I will set the stab trim, and as soon as I stop where it needs to be it goes right back to FULL nose up!!!!! :( Obviously, this makes it entirely unflyable!!! I have slightly the same issue with the Levl D 767 FSX... but at least on that one, once set, it will STAY set for a while. It is not staying set at all on the MD-11.... I have absolutley NO issue with it on the 747 though!!!! :( I am running Vista Ultimate 64-bit4MB RAM
Please sign your posts with your name. It is a forum rules requirement. How are you physically setting trim? Are you using keyboard commands, or have you set any button/axis on your joystick/yoke?

Michael Frantzeskakis
Precision Manuals Development Group
http://www.precisionmanuals.com

devteam.jpg

Please sign your posts with your name. It is a forum rules requirement. How are you physically setting trim? Are you using keyboard commands, or have you set any button/axis on your joystick/yoke?
I am using a Saitek Cyborg EVO joystick and have the trim setting mapped to the #3 button.... I have tried to use the heybord to set it as well.... even the trim handle in the cockpit..... but as soon as I release the control it goes right back to full nose up setting.

Brian Murphy

Ok... I just took out the Joystick commands for the stab trim.... made no difference... even when taking out all the mapped commands both keyboard AND joystick, and using just the trim wheel..... as soon as I let loose of the trim wheel the stab pops right back to full nose up!!!

Brian Murphy

That sounds like a spike in the trim axis...IF you use FSUIPC, you should configure the axes accordingly, there is also a fairly well documented setting (which I cannot remember right now, sorry) that removes spikes from controllers...I have seen this behaviour before, check out some of the other fora on avsim (FS2004, or hardware perhaps...). I am sure you will find an answer.I believe this has nothing to do with the MD11, particularly as you said that the LDS 763 has a similar issue...Andrew

That sounds like a spike in the trim axis...IF you use FSUIPC, you should configure the axes accordingly, there is also a fairly well documented setting (which I cannot remember right now, sorry) that removes spikes from controllers...I have seen this behaviour before, check out some of the other fora on avsim (FS2004, or hardware perhaps...). I am sure you will find an answer.I believe this has nothing to do with the MD11, particularly as you said that the LDS 763 has a similar issue...Andrew
Andrew, Note that trim control should not be assigned to an "axis"!As in the real aircraft trim is handled by trim switches. As long as you keep the switch pressed trim is increasing/descreasing. When you release the switch no more trim commands are send. This is close to reality and also eliminates any spike problems.Brian,Is this happening on the ground, or during flight?

Michael Frantzeskakis
Precision Manuals Development Group
http://www.precisionmanuals.com

devteam.jpg

Also be advised that the trim handle in the VC cockpit returns to center normally. Is this what you are seeing?

Dan Downs KCRP

Andrew, Note that trim control should not be assigned to an "axis"!As in the real aircraft trim is handled by trim switches. As long as you keep the switch pressed trim is increasing/descreasing. When you release the switch no more trim commands are send. This is close to reality and also eliminates any spike problems.Brian,Is this happening on the ground, or during flight?Also be advised that the trim handle in the VC cockpit returns to center normally. Is this what you are seeing?
Agrred Dan... yes, trim IS done by switchs in the "modern" A/C.... right now it is happenen ing on the ground at the gate. Since I can't get the trim to stay set, I haven't even pushed back from the gate yet!! No sense taxiing to take off if I can't get the trim to set.... so I don't know if it does it in the air.What happens with the Level D, is after I have set trim it wil stay set for a while... for example if I set it at the gate during taxi to the runway at some point I will need to set it again.... and usually again once I get on the runway. But I have yet to need to reset it during the take off roll, or after takeoff till the point where the auto pilot is engaged.... once the auto pilot is engaged it stays set or is automatically adjusted by the auto pilot. Then on approach, Out of a little over 100 hours in the 767 for FSX... I have only had to monkey with the trim once on final.... and I ALWAYS hand fly the final approach if it is CAT I conditions or above. Note, that I have had an issue in FS9 with either PMDG or Level D A/C.UPDATE: Ok... I lied.... I JUST tried to go do a flight in the Level D 767.... and it is doing it now too!!!! I can't set stab trim on it at all now either!!! And I don't have the registered version of FSUIPC, so there isn't anything for me to adjust there.

Brian Murphy

Does this also happen if you unplug or disable your hardware yoke or joystick?Regards,Markus

Markus Burkhard

Does this also happen if you unplug or disable your hardware yoke or joystick?Regards,Markus
You know Markus.... I haven't tried that!!But what I DID doo was uninstall FSX and reinstalled it... Did a quick trial run, and so far it is looking promising, since I am on my 4 day rotation I won't get a chance to do a more detailed test until Saturday.... but as it stands now the intial installation of FSX was the culprit. :(

Brian Murphy