Sign in to follow this  
ahinterl

MD-11: Manuals disappoint me a bit

First, please don't get me wrong, the MD-11 and all the material that comes with it are "superb" and a real masterpiece (though I guess the product will see a service pack ;-) ) and I purchased it immediately and are now a proud MD-11 student.Where much light is, there's always a little shadow as well, and while studying the plane, I regard the manuals to be a little disappointing for at least my taste, regardless of the volume they have:In the first place, I miss a much more complete description of all the possible symbols on the EIS screens, and I wish there were more flow diagrams for systems like fuel and the like. I have the impression that the collected information published in the manuals was not chosen very "luckily", there are e.g. tons of information about what a specific computer is able to control in terms of other systems (which in many cases aren't under the pilot's direct influence) but when it comes to "practical" themes like what this and that symbol on the PFD wants to tell the pilot the manuals are completely quiet.I know that publishing information like the one that comes with the MD-11 is a problematic issue. On the other hand, I'd wish a manual as good as the product itself. Maybe someone has an original set of manuals in pdf format ;-)) to share with us???Again, a heartful thank you PMDG for the MD-11!Andreas

When I get the chance to Visit my Parents I always have a read through my fathers 744 and A330/340 operations manuals and it looks like PMDG are trying to create a carbon copy of the real thing (which is not a bad thing). The Problem here is real world flightcrew don't just get handed 1400 pages of documention and a Level D simulator to figure it out for themselves. So It's good thing that we can share our knowledge on these forums and look forward to reading Type rating courses etc.Rob

Rob Prest

but when it comes to "practical" themes like what this and that symbol on the PFD wants to tell the pilot the manuals are completely quiet.
Completely quiet, you say... Try the SYSTEMS.pdf, starting at page 149: a very practical explanation of all symbols on the PFD. I also missed it during my first 'read' of the manuals and someone here had to show me the way. ;) Manuals not good? I think they are TOO good. :( But I have to say (and I already posted this some time ago) that I am having problems putting all the information to practical use. Right now I strictly fly 'the tutorial-way', and I think I will do so until the advanced tutorial is there. And after that I will probably strictly fly the advanced tutorial way. ;) But I don't think I can blame the manuals for that: it's just me: I just don't understand it all... As rjprest already said: real pilots don't just get a book: they are trained. For quite some time too. So it isn't that strange that we need training too, which comes in the form of tutorial for us simpilots.

Hi simmers,first, i'm mighty impressed by the MD11. I buy it, taste it and read the books. After them, i was so energized and start a flight. I searched for a route and began the flight planning. But after 2 min i stoped the flight planning, because i haven't the tables and charts. I searched in the manuals again, and again, and again, but i couldn't find a page about flight planning...now i was angry. I know about all systems, procedures, techniques, etc..., sitting in the flight deck and can't start a flight, because i don't know how much fuel i need for the flight. It's like a burger without mett. It dosen't taste.I use the B737 and the B744 by PMDG and was satisfied from the beginning of use. I found the needed manuals for system,flight planning and so on.ok, i know there is a function in the FMS. But this is not realistic. I can't belive, that the FMS know about the wind on cruise level, or about the runway conditions like the length, hight, slope...I would like to depart from Quito or St. Martin with the MD11, but i can't do this without tables where i can determine the correct masses. And what about the FF in cruise for checks, or inflight planning. What about the correct values for step climb and weight adjustments for fuelburn and so on...I notice that there exist 14 pages for needed landing distance. But where are the rest???I hope so this is a mistake and PMDG release flight planning chartsMfG

Guest JaredA

I agree the systems part was fine, but we need the performance stuff like we got with the 744 in order to get everything right.

I have the original Precision Manuals 757 manual that I purchased in 1999 and while the MD11 manuals are bigger in size, in function they do not come close, in my opinion. How many copies of page 2-6 (in the 757 manual), the fuel planning schematic, were printed by the many purchasers of the 757 manual? I'd like to reproduce a sentence from the introduction to that manualYou can now have true to life performance data for a multitude of different FS98 transport category aircraft!By Robert S RandazzoDon't get me wrong, the MD11 is wonderful product and I am enjoying it immensely, perhaps the 2nd tutorial will be more revealing of performance data.

Scott
Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Guest Gurra
I hope so this is a mistake and PMDG release flight planning charts
AgreeGustav

Guest pegase
Manuals not good? I think they are TOO good.
It is also my feeling ;)For this, I will not say: "there is no information about..." but rather "I did not find the information about..."I just bought the beauty this week end and completed the tutorial flight. must admit it is the BEST tutorial I have ever seen and hardly wait for the promised advanced tutorial.Why did I like this tutorial so much?- Because I could fly my new toy immediately :( - Because the important action in preparation are not lost ammongs tons of checks, very usefull to enhance our knowlege and skill but useless or even confusing in the "getting started" stage.- Good illustration making quick and easy to locate the items on the panels.- It is not just a "to-do list" but also explain why.- Indication where in the operating manuals to find more details about some of the systems and actionThe remarks about the difference between real operating manuals for real pilots and manuals for simmers also make sense.The very first time a real pilot comes in an airliner cockpit, (s)he is already a skilled professionnal and is however driven by instructors following a learning cursus.The simmer, even experienced like most of those going to fly with PMDG products are a bit lost when they have to find where in all this library is the information necessary to complete the current step of his flight.

must admit it is the BEST tutorial I have ever seen and hardly wait for the promised advanced tutorial.
Amen! I wouldn't mind though if the advanced tutorial would be VC-only. :( A lot of steps in the basic tutorial are about getting there using 2D clickspots... :( But apart from that it's indeed the best tutorial I've ever flown. (Not the first time I post this, but it's the truth! :( )

Guest Mower
A second, more detailed tutorial it

Guest Matthias1975
...What about the correct values for step climb and weight adjustments for fuelburn and so on...
You don