Sign in to follow this  

Windows 2000 or XP?

Hey fellaz,Quick question about W2K. I hear good things and bad things about ths operating system. Is it stable?.It must be better than Windows ME!.I also heard that XP is crap for MSFS2K?.How true is that? I am currently building a system but dont know if i should go with XP or W2k...This machine i am building is just for gaming btw.Thanx in advance for your great words of wisdom! :D

I have expirence with both of these OS's. I need to say that XP is alot better than 2000, as far as visuals, but basically XP is just a beefed up 2000, I am running XP on my system now, btw.

I use Windows XP (Pro) with FS and it works just fine - frames are pretty good - usually in the upper 30s to low 40s. I've never used Win2k before with FS....Hope that helps!Cpudan80 :) :+

Guest RichardL

Just last week I changed from ME to XP Home on my FS2002 server. I did the full install not an upgrade.It took awhile loading XP, FS2002, and all the addons, but I'm very happy with the results.I also run Project Magenta over a network:C1 Sim Server: XP Home and FS2002C2: ME, PM Primary Flight Display, Nav Display, and FCU (autopilot) C3: ME, PM ECAM Display and MCDU.Mixing ME and XP over the network took a little time to work out, but overall FS2002 is rock steady with frames locked at 24fps.Richard

I use XP (Home) on my machine. It's on 24/7 for almost a year now and has never crashed.Brad

I have Win2000 now, but also had WinXP. I cannot decide which is better. Regarding ease of use and makeup XP is better. For me DirectX used to be a big issue until DX9 was out, on XP. Also the SP1 for XPwas a big mistake for me, everything slowed down, and began crashing.I might have had some lame version of SP1?! So because of that I moved back to Win2000. But I guess I recommend you to get XP, it has more hardware support and more advanced. Memory consumption and speed should be quite same for both.

Guest FPSFREAK

Having experience with Win2KPro, server 2KPro and XP pro I can say this. XPPro is really nothing more than 2000Pro with a pretty gui and better hardware support. Perhaps the most stable of all Windows OS's, 2000 has the added benfit of using much less memory than XP does. If your running a system that is on the low side for memory (Generally anything under 512 Megs) 2000 can be a very enjoyable choice.XP does have it's bright side. I, like some other people have had nothing but problems running SP1 for XP. Went back to a clean install and manually installing the updates as I needed them. It is nice to look at, and does a good job of memory management and disk management although if you know 2000 you can have it accomplish all that XP does. As far as visuals go I have not seen any difference between the two and you really shouldn't. They both share the same core of the OS and utilize DX the same ways.Either way you can't go wrong.Bobby

Hey my Friend Bobby!I have not had any noticable (hehe) problems with XP Pro and SP1. I went from 2000 Pro because I like the looks of XP alot better, I saw it on a computer in the store and said "Boy I have to get that".

Guest ba747heavy

I would go with XP, if only because it is newer. 2000 is nice, but it is getting older now. XP, even with SP1, is a decent OS. SP1 does slow the puter down, but I would rather have the patches for security rather than a bit of speed.In any case, FS2K2 doesn't suffer from any slowdowns going from 2K to XP.

I run Windows XP Pro 24/7 and have never had a crash either. It runs my FS2002 just about perfect. My choice of WinXP over Win2000 is driver support, and better GUI. MS main focus is on WinXP, from that standpoint the support seems to be much better with XP.I don't know where this rumor has come from about FS2002 not runnion well on XP, I have run XP with FS2002 from the start along with all my FS associates and they all have well behaved and running systems.My advice for a new system build, put Windows XP on your system, you won't go wrong.Bob

Guest seev_39

Nothing but WIN-XP.Don't forget that both FS2002 and WIN-XP are MS products and if the company is still as good as they were, then some body there thought about Compatibility.One big advantage of WIN-XP is the "restore" option, especially after a lousy download.Seev

Guest Bill Kunert

Another advantage that I have noticed with XP is that it doesn't load up with junk like WIN95/98 did. I used to have to reinstall about every 6 months because my system would slow down. I have my original install of XP Home and I got it right after it came out about a year and a half ago. It basically has the stability of the newer versions of NT with better driver support.Bill

Guest hefy_jefy

I have used Win2000 with FS for about years, it works fine. I guess XP would be similar (the actual core system is the same) either is far better than 95/98/ME. You need the hardware to run these systems though, 64Megs of ram and a 266Mhz MMX won't cut it!Geoff

Guest imemyself

I have XP home and its pretty good. The only complaint I have is that it doesn't work to wonderfully w/ some older games (like Fleet Command, USAF).