Sign in to follow this  
Guest crashing_pilot

Is Milton Shupe's Dash-7's Perfomance Realistic?

Guest enave

I'm a newbie here but I've been flying in MSFS for a while. Please correct me if I'm wrong: Milton Shupe's Dash 7 is really great, but it can be stopped after landing in under two plane lengths. That requires autospoilers, prop reversers, standing on the breaks, full flaps to ensure you land at under 80 knts. It's impressive, but it seems a little bit unrealistic. The specs say it requires 380m of runway to land, but it only seems to need about 100m. Is the performance unrealistic or are the specs overstated? http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID...acrp&DLID=22864

The Dash 7 is an STOL so it should be able to stop in a very short distance. Especially if you are landing at the slowest possible speed. It doesn't seem to far fetched to me.... But that is my non-expert opinion. I have flown and reviewed many planes, but the Dash 7 I have not personal experience with....

Guest Milton

We were fortunate to have 2-Dash 7 pilots involved in this project and worked hard to meet their specs.I am attaching here an excerpt from a pilot report that you may find interesting. Written by Captain Kevin Jones."The runway was close now. I could see the flapping windsock clearly and the dull reflections of the runway lights on the wet tarmac. Then I asked for full flap. As the flaps travelled from 25 to 45 degrees with surprising rapidity the aircraft tried to balloon upwards, but I held it with a slight push forward on the control column. Speed! I willed the speed back to 85 knots, just five knots above my Vat (threshold speed), and as the threshold slid beneath the nose I let the aircraft sink towards the numbers. Then everything happened at once. I leaned the left wing down and pushed in enough right rudder to point the nose straight down the centre-Iine. As the runway rose towards me I chopped all four power-Ievers to idle and flared in one rapid backward movement. The left wheel squeaked satisfyingly on to the tarmac, followed a second later by the right, I relaxed the back pressure to let the nose-wheel make contact, not hard, but firmly enough as my right hand began pulling the power levers through the gate into reverse, and my toes squeezed the brakes. Yet there was nothing dramatic about our roll-out. I did not need to use full reverse thrust, and the braking was moderate, nothing more. Even so. we did not use much runway. "Locks!" The co-pilot leaned across to pull UD the substantial bar just ahead of the power levers, and the control column became solid and immovable. But my left hand was now on the ground steering control abeam my knee as i swung the aircraft on to the cramped apron. We were at Unst in the Shetland Island, landing distance available 2,001 feet. I had just landed a four-engined fifty-one seat airliner on that runway using barely half that distance something that could not be done in many light twins. We had on board forty passengers and four crew; landing weight 40,350 pounds. If that seems impossible, then you obviously don't know the Dash 7." There are plenty of reports around about the Dash 7 landing in less than 400 feet and using the first turnoff.I have not piloted the Dash 7, and I don't know how real my Dash 7 FD's are. I can only design to try to hit the numbers and to please the real life pilots who beta test for us. They were exceeding pleased with what we were able to do here. I hope you continue to enjoy the Dash 7.Milton

Guest Tim W

As has been mentioned previously. This is an STOL aircraft. Don't use the STOL characteristics unless you have too!I never use full flap and the reverse etc unless I'm landing somewhere like Emma Field and believe me I've done that a few times!RegardsTimDash 7 Beta team

Guest enave

Thanks Milton. I read that in the FAQ and I don't doubt it. One of the reasons I asked here rather than email you is that, since you put that question in the FAQ, I guess that means you get asked it a lot. I suppose what I was wondering is if other amateurs were as surprised as I was.I'm sure you can understand how incredible it seems when you actually see it stop like that in the flight simulator. I downloaded the Dash-7 this weekend and after a few touch and go's I went to a tiny strip that used to really challenge me in a DHC6. I was actually able to land with enough runway ahead of me to take off again without turning around. I just couldn't believe it. I don't know, maybe the Twin Otter that I was flying wasn't so realistic. At any rate, I don't think there's any runway anywhere in the FS world that this plane can't land on.I am enjoying the Dash-7 quite a bit and I appreciate your hard work. The Commanders are excellent also.

Guest crashing_pilot

hi,as you,i do enjoy this aircraft...and i think it is realistic....the one thing i like about this plane is that you can put her down nearly everywhere,as long as you keep the numbers...i think Milton and his team made a real winner here...:-)Tim...thanks for testing her mate!!!