Sign in to follow this  

I got the new rig and wanted to share my performance with you

Well I got my new system in yesterday and I am really surprised what a difference it makes!!! Here is the specs, it is a dell dim 4550 with a P4 2.53 ghz cpu, 512 ddr-sdram, 9700 pro video. I have everything on and all sliders maxed. with the df 737 at o'hare i get 25 fps locked all views(i am sure it is more but i locked it at 25) with the meljet 777(it has the pss panel and sounds) it still lock in at 25. The FL1 Meridian is the only one that drops the frames, which can lock in at 19 in all views. For me I will do some more tweaking with the card settings and Fs settings but coming from a P3 833 mhz it is a huge performance increase along with the smoothness and the way everthing looks it is amazing!! The only thing I see that I am trying to figure out is why fs crashes my system when i mim the screen and then try to bring it back up? If anyone knows please let me know.

Thanx Shane, I know I posted awhile back asking what should I get with this system and I just wanted to share now that I have it!!

Sounds great! You're in for a real treat. I just wish I had your 9700..sigh... :-) .Trip

Guest ba747heavy

Sounds great :D

Anybody wana clone a 9700 PRO for me :-hmmm

Guest RSmith

Know the thrill of a new system, especially with FS2002. Just did it myself, from a P3-800, GeF2GTS32meg, 512 ram, up to a P4 2.8, 1 meg PC2700DDR SDram, with ATI 9700 Pro 128meg........ FS came to life ! This is an old topic, hashed over & over.... but this time, the hardware allowed FS to really shine - amazing difference from what I was enjoying. For those of us that waited, boy, what a difference ! I now know what I was missing !Flight last night from KSFO to KMSO, King Air, 17,000 cruise, departure at dusk, real weather (3 cloud decks), and 80% AI, it was amazing. Colors of sunset through the clouds, detail of cities and roads, mountain terrain and lake colors, and the "twinkling" lights of the cities at night. Biggest impression was the "glow" of city lights, from as far out as 20-25-30 miles.... This setup (everyhting maxed except AI @ 80%, vis. set at 70 miles, dynamic set @ 50%) really "tested" the system. Although after a week of flying, I've already come to "expect" the 45-50 + fps at altitude.... but true test was departure from the busy San Fran. airport, at dusk, sunset filtered through all the clouds, skies crowded with AI, and a departure turn just south of the City of San Fran..... fps dropped all the way to 18-20-22 at times, but quickly increased back into the 30's, then 40's & 50's at crusie altitude..... (locked at 52). Using 1024 X 768 X 32 resoultion. Nothing tweaked.I would not even be able to get off the ground before (old system) - I just "black-listed" San Fran - due to inability to push frames through with reasonable level of scenery set.....It's great - ain't it ! Enjoy your system !RonKORL

Guest flightpro08

Congrats on the new rig. :DI remember when I upgraded from an AMD K6-2 533MHz system with onboard graphics system to an Intel Pentium 4 1.3Ghz system with a RADEON 7200 64MB DDR VIVO (AGP) system. At the time, FS2000 was what we had, and it and Counter-Strike looked like different programs with my new rig. I don't think my jaw returned to it's normal position for about a week. :-lolRyan-Flightpro08 :-cool VATSIM Pilot/ControllerZLA ARTCC Senior Controller (C-3)ASRC (Advanced Simulated Radar Client) Beta Testerhttp://vatsim.pilotmedia.fi/statusindicato...tor=OD1&a=a.jpg-----------------------------My "Home Made" System Specs:Intel Pentium 4 2.2GHz ProcessorTurbo Gamer ATX Mid-Tower with 420W Power SupplyEPoX 4G4A Motherboard with Intel 845G ChipsetVisiontek XTASY GeForce4 128MB Ti4600 (Det 42.86 Drivers)512MB PC2100 DDR RAM40GB Matrox 7200RPM Hard DriveWindows XP Home Edition SP1*No CPU or GPU Overclocking*3dMark2001SE Score: 11298-----------------------------Click Here to Download my American Eagle POSKY CRJ-200!

Guest RSmith

Kinda makes you "remember back when" ~ 1985, FS2 (I think - I was running a PC Jr.) when simply lining up with the lines of an imaginary runway was a thrill........ and I was still on the keyboard .....:-beerchug

I kinda have to agree Richard in the fact that if you have a old machine and go to a new one no matter what it will be alot better. I also know that with the sliders almost all the way down to all the slider max make fs seem like alot better game ;-). I knew that I had to get one because fs9 is just around the corner and there is also the PMDG 737NG coming out soon that I really want to get(Had to put a promo in for them :-).

Guest ba747heavy

I agree with the psychological point. The other day I was out on my dads computer, getting Americas Army working for him. I started playing the very first bastic training level, the rifle qualification. It looked horrible. I came in here, fired up AA on my puter, and I realized just how great of a computer I really do have. This thing has never looked so good :D

Guest RSmith

LOL !!! I have to agree..........I fought hardware upgrades through last 2 versions of FS..... kept telling myself - it's fine - I'm having fun...... FS worked....Even found times, over Florida (home base), with clouds looking great - few scattered AI around - could see the outline of the coast below - no need to upgrade hardware........ But then, my system started going bad (longer story - got ripped off by previous builder - mobo delivered was not the model spec'd). And, with the arrival of FS2002, I really bummed out that I could not enjoy airports like SLC, SFO, ATL, PHL, Kennedy, LAX, and often, not even MIA.... got too "choppy"...... for me....... (Stubborn, would not give up on settings to extent system needed for decent frames...)And, frankly, last (2) hardware updates I did, over previous 5 years - were not nearly as impressive, nor as significant, as this last one... Not even close ! Various improvements were seen, of course. But not like this..... I'm stepping forward 3-4 "giant steps"..... so hope there is perspective here....... No bragging..... just a non-pro, basic simmer's impression !No intention at all to present a "boast" of any "special system" capabilities.... Most of the "high-end" guys here report far better performances than my 1-step down system.... It's all a matter of "degree".... and, where you are starting from..... Not near a "pro" status, but I am a licensed P.Pilot, been simming a "long" time, and when I see FS go like this.... I'm excited... I think this is exactly the "fun" we sim for.... the enthusiasm of more realistic "eye candy" flights........... with the continued emphasis on reality flight models and enhanced ATC realism.....I'll admit, this thread is simply a matter of "hooting" ! Certainly not a serious debate. For those of us that never had, at least, a 1-MgHz system to enjoy FS2002 with, to now, having the opportunity to fly a faster system - the expression of joy is to see FS at it's "fuller" potential, ....it's great ! No intention at all of demeaning lesser systems..... it's just a thread acknowledging when you jump 3-4-5 levels in hardware..... hold onto your boots !Now, all that said, I know I'll be looking back 12 mths. from now, FS Century loaded, and saying.... why didn't I wait for that 4 mghz. liquid cooled $200 Intel CPU to run this thing with....... Naaaah...... think I'll just enjoy what I've got....All in good humor ! It's a great hobby !Ron KORL

Hehe. Yes we will have to play sometime together when you raise you "honor" on America's Army! Fantastic game. The ultimate rig of course is to be able to run FS at over 60+ FPS with all sliders at max and a res of 1600x1200 32 bit with antialiasing at 4x and anisotropic filtering at 8x! We are very close to this if not already with some of the extreme CPU speeds I have been seeing. [h5]Best Wishes,Randy J. SmithSan Jose Ca[/h5][h3]" A little learning is a dangerous thing"[/h3]AMD [pink]XP[/pink] 2200 |MUNCHKIN 512 DDR RAM |ECS[/b ][i] K7S5A MB[/i] |GF3 64 MEG |WIN XP PRO |MITSUBISHI DIAMOND PLUS 91 19"

I'll kick all ya'll asses on americas army.