Sign in to follow this  
madtun

PMDG-stands for "Precision Manuals Development Group

I think this company started in business writing and making manuals. Somebody correct me if I am wrong. So would it not make sense for more people to try an take the time to read more of the manual which came with the plane. Also the manuals have been available for free for months now. PMDG I hope I am not out of place for saying this but more than half of the problems listed are from people who did not even glance most of the manuals supplied by your company. Such as the door was open when I started the SIM up with a short turnaround. Cleary stated in the manual the plane is in a quick state ready for another destination. The door should be open. How else would you enter the plane. This is a very complex plane but the operation is very common sense.People please study the manual more. All of them even have table of contents.Carl Perry

Guest Boeing Skunk Works

I was wondering why nearly a third of posts made in the "View New Posts" option at any given time are all in the PMDG support forum. It sounds as though aircraft from this company are not suited to the casual desktop pilot.You can learn a lot about the aircraft by reading the manuals.727-1230.jpg

For those interested, PMDG has an excelent set of printed manuals in very professional looking binders available in their store. In Europe the sales are being done bij Aerosoft Germany.I have done a review in Dutch which you can find here on FSVisionsAt this moment I am working on a English translation of the review and I am looking for a site willing to publish the review in English. I hope to finalize the translation during this week.

MD11FullSetFULL.jpg

I was wondering why nearly a third of posts made in the "View New Posts" option at any given time are all in the PMDG support forum. It sounds as though aircraft from this company are not suited to the casual desktop pilot.You can learn a lot about the aircraft by reading the manuals.
I guess that some people, if not most of them, just find the thousands of pages a bit daunting or too much!? It is much easier to simply post your question and have it explained to you than to try a dig up the answer from one of the 6 manuals, especially so if it is in PDF format and must be read on screen (i.e. it is not convenient). It is basic human nature at work - if there is an easier and quicker option then it will be pursued. End of story.Yes, of course people should read the whole manual. But few ever will read much more than the intro and tutorial, especially for something this complex.Konrad

Konrad

especially so if it is in PDF format and must be read on screen (i.e. it is not convenient).
I love pdf's because you can search them! Surely beats having to turn about 1500 pages to find something specific! To me pdf's are a LOT more convenient than printed manuals.

Well, perhaps I am a strange specimen, but when I made the decision of buying the PMDG-744 (that was more than two years ago):1.- I first downloaded the manuals and the excellent tutorial (EDDF-KSFO) by Holger Seilz.2.- Printed and binded the whole lot.3.- Read twice the complete documentation (hundreds of pages I must say).4.- And after that, only after that, finally, purchased the aircraft.You must be methodical and patience must be one of your virtues I admit... :(

I guess PMDG got its name because when I remember right, the first product they offered was a manual for the Aerowinx PS1 744 simulator - and that was a printed handbook only, no software. Maybe PMDG will consider changing their name a little to e.g. "precision [sim]aircraft development group" or so... ;-)Andreas

For those interested, PMDG has an excelent set of printed manuals in very professional looking binders available in their store. In Europe the sales are being done bij Aerosoft Germany.I have done a review in Dutch which you can find here on FSVisionsAt this moment I am working on a English translation of the review and I am looking for a site willing to publish the review in English. I hope to finalize the translation during this week.
Why not AVSIM? If you would like us to publish your review, we would be happy to review it and put it online if appropriate (as I am sure it would be). If you would like to publish it on AVSIM, please send an email to staff@avsim.com and let them know of your interest, and we'll take it from there.

I love pdf's because you can search them! Surely beats having to turn about 1500 pages to find something specific! To me pdf's are a LOT more convenient than printed manuals.
The problem is that in-flight, where access to manuals is often most necessary (hmmm - what does this mean, why did that just happen, why does this knob apparently not work, why is the ac not doing what I want/expect it to etc etc), it is also often the most difficult. Windowed mode is not a generally viable option due to the FPS hit and running full screen with 2 monitors (especially if different res screens) is a mission. A second pc or laptop is good for referencing manuals in-flight but this is not an option for most. There are some commercial in-flight/cockpit PDF readers for this very reason but again this costs extra money. None of this translates into convenience.Sure, when you're just reading the manual on screen over a cup of coffee then PDF's are great. No argument there.The printed MD-11 manual set, from what I understand, is essentially what real MD-11 pilots would get. This means that a massive amount of time and effort and money has gone into making them as convenient and useable for the pilot as humanly possible. Lives potentially depend on it so it must be done right. All this efforts means it should always be easy to find exactly what you are looking for. But they are very expensive, especially for casual simmers...Konrad
You must be methodical and patience must be one of your virtues I admit... :(
And you must have the time too, lots of time... :( Konrad

Konrad

Windowed mode is not a generally viable option due to the FPS hit
Since I am looking up something in the pdf I am not bothered with low fps on the background. And btw I don't get low fps in windowed mode. I also disabled the option to pause FSX when switching so no time is lost. All I lose is the sound. :( So whenever I do not need to look up something but just want to read the manual during cruise, I use the free PDFKneeboard (look elsewhere on this forum).
All this efforts means it should always be easy to find exactly what you are looking for.
Try to find every instance of (just an example) PFD in the printed manuals. I bet you I will have found them ALL a LOT quicker than anyone with a printed manual. :( No index can beat the pdf search ability.

Guest Raptor05121

As much as I would LOVE to get a copy of all those professionally-printed manuals, for $80 a pop, I dont think so! It would be cool if PMDG offered a raffle or something and the winner got a set of them :DI love printed more than PDF because when im on LOOOONG flights I like to hit the AP and go sit on the john for about 30 mins and get to know the plane better. i must say, just about everything i know about airplanes comes from mostly sitting on the john and reading :D

Why not AVSIM? If you would like us to publish your review, we would be happy to review it and put it online if appropriate (as I am sure it would be). If you would like to publish it on AVSIM, please send an email to staff@avsim.com and let them know of your interest, and we'll take it from there.
Hi Tom,Thanks for the invitation. Review has been send to the address you mentioned. I was thinking about AVSIM, but as I didn't use the format you're publishing your reviews, I had let go the idea. Now it is on the way to you, and please let me know if the format I used, is usuable for you too.