Sign in to follow this  
Kwacker

Networking benefit & multi core affinity

Two questions on how to get the best frame rate when running ASA - maybe someone can advise:How much benefit do you get from running networked? - anyone tested running on 1 machine and 2 and measured frame rates? Failing that can anyone comment qualitatively?Second on a quad core system, there may be some benefit from setting ASA to run on the last 3 cores as FSX loads the 1st core most heavily. Anyone tried this - actually I don't know a way to set core affinity permanently - just on each start up using task manager - anyone know a way of doing this?Thanks for any ideas / comments.

Guest ashwath
Two questions on how to get the best frame rate when running ASA - maybe someone can advise:How much benefit do you get from running networked? - anyone tested running on 1 machine and 2 and measured frame rates? Failing that can anyone comment qualitatively?Second on a quad core system, there may be some benefit from setting ASA to run on the last 3 cores as FSX loads the 1st core most heavily. Anyone tried this - actually I don't know a way to set core affinity permanently - just on each start up using task manager - anyone know a way of doing this?Thanks for any ideas / comments.
hi,i previously posted a post regarding core affinity for ASA. running ASA on 1 core alone is more than enough to get good performance. run ASA on core 1 (i.e. 2nd core) of a quad core processor. i've tried this and it has reduced my stutters considerably while flying with unlimited frame rate set in FSX. as far as networking is concerned i've not used it since i have a powerful enough machine to run everything on the same config.regards,

Thanks Ashwath, is there a way to permanently set core affinity for ASA?Setting in task manager each time I start up is tedious....

Guest ashwath
Thanks Ashwath, is there a way to permanently set core affinity for ASA?Setting in task manager each time I start up is tedious....
hi,well i'm not sure but i think it involves adding some entry into the shortcut icon to or may be u have to open dos prompt and enter a command. seriously am not sure. sry abt that. but hitting ctrl-alt-del and just changing affinity isn't so tedious. its just that u might forget it sometimes. anyway try it and lemme know.regards,

Google a program called "Task Assign" and download it. I have it set to put TrackIR and ASA on different cores from FSX.

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

kwacker,I have tested running ASA/ASX networked and locally so I will give you my experience. BTW, I have a Dual Cor Q6600 (2.4ghz) just so you have a reference. While I did not gain any framerate by running ASA/ASX networked, what I did gain was a better overall performance out of both. I know that makes no sense, but hear me out.First off, from an ASA/ASX standpoint, I found that XGauge refreshed quicker. I.E, it loaded new imagery faster. It updated my location quicker. When I would open say the Metar report, it brought that up faster. Overall, XGauge became usable instead of always lagging behind. ASA/ASX was also able to update the weather quicker, like downloading new data and feeding it to FSX.From an FSX standpoint, as I said, I did not gain any framerates (of course mine is locked at 30 so I guess I wouldn't gain any). What did happen though is that ground textures became clearer or didn't take as long to become clear. There was a certain amount of stutter that seemed to go away, even when my fps would drop into the teens. I was able to bump up the amount of generic trees and buildings I could tell FSX to render. Things like that. I imagine those were due to FSX now being able to use both cores to handle FSX related stuff instead of devoting only one core to FSX at times where ASA/ASX was occupying the other (assuming you assigned the afinity that way).Overall, i'd suggest giving it a try. You really have nothing to lose and you might get lucky like I did and have it work out for you. I'm hoping that when I get a better second system to handle ASA/ASX that the experience will improve even a little more. Right now my client machine that houses ASA/ASX is a little old. It's an old Athlon 2700+ (2.17hgz) with only 512mgs of RAM. It works surprisingly well though.

Joe a Q6600 is a Quad core processor, well in truth its 2 dual core processors on one die but you still have 4 cores in total. Are you overclocking the Q6600 at all? If you aren't you are wasting a lot of potential processing power, I get a 25% overclock with my Q6700 just with a simple Zalman 9700 air cooler. That 25% extra power makes all the difference when it comes to FSX.

Cheers, Andy.

Thanks for the input - based on the positive feedback I'll try networking and see how it goes.Thanks for the "Task Assign" suggestion. I'll also try that - every little tweak helps :-)I also have a Q6600 Quad with a 3.25GHz overclock (stock is 2.4GHz), upgraded Zalman fan also. Runs perfectly.Kwacker.

Wish I had the guts and know how to overclock. First off, i'm not sure how. And knowing my luck, i'd end up frying my system.

I'm no expert - but it's really easy with a little research and the right hardware. I've overclocked my last 4 systems with no problem. There's a big difference in FSX performance.Your processor overclocks well, so if you have a good motherboard, add a fan and you are away.