Sign in to follow this  
Bubi42

Running out of disk space.....

Is it possible to simply move FSX in it's entirety to another internal hard-drive without having to reinstall from scratch?I'm using Windows XP.Thanks for any help....Toni

Yes, as long as you use some kind of drive imaging software like Acronis True Image Home.Once you've imaged the FSX installation to the bigger drive, you need to make sure it has the same drive letter as the previous drive, so that all your registry entries and shortcuts are pointing to the right place. You can do this using the Disk Management console in XP.

Guest JimBrown
Yes, as long as you use some kind of drive imaging software like Acronis True Image Home.Once you've imaged the FSX installation to the bigger drive, you need to make sure it has the same drive letter as the previous drive, so that all your registry entries and shortcuts are pointing to the right place. You can do this using the Disk Management console in XP.
The above is true if FSX is currently installed on its own drive, and you are just moving it to a new drive. And if that is the case, disk imaging it not necessary, just copy or move FSX and anything related to FSX to the new drive, then use Windows Disk manager to change the drive letters so that the new drive has the old drives drive letter.If FSX is installed on the OS drive, then its another story. While it is possible to move FSX to another drive, it can get very messy, very fast. Best bet in that situation is to uninstall everything FSX related, then reinstall on the new drive.Even better is a complete system wipe and reinstall.Regards,...jim

In theory yes, but some software store the disk drive serial number. Moving that software will to another driver will cause it to stop working.I just used 'CopyWipe' by http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/index.htm to copy my O/S drive to another larger drive and it worked perfectly. Note that my FSX software was not on the O/S drive.Woops, I should mention that if you change the logical drive letter, what is in the Windows registry, or any other pertient file, will not match; hence the software will not run.