Sign in to follow this  
Kennair

v5 pronounciations

I guess I can help you in v5 with Italian and Spanish words, but rather than giving you a phonetic written word I'll make a record of them all directly. Easier and faster. :( Fede

I'm flying over central Italy and Brindisi control is being enunciated as Brine-die-Sea rather than Brin-dih-Sea. Perhaps Federico can confirm please.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Found some others when flying over Scandinavia - both Malmo and Stavanger were mispronounced by some pilots and controllers. I had a MAL-a-mo and STA-ven-jer. Don't know how you would handle this; I realize this is a huge project. But perhaps a pronunciation guide or demo would be helpful for those who have volunteered their time and resources to provide voices for RC5.I'm a European Canuck; I still talk KEY-lo-meeters instead of kil-LOH-mitters. I know what kilo means and what a meter is, but I don't know what a kil-LOH is nor what a mitter is.Just a little cultural ethnocentricity for my adopted North America :( .Bill

Found some others when flying over Scandinavia - both Malmo and Stavanger were mispronounced by some pilots and controllers. I had a MAL-a-mo and STA-ven-jer. Don't know how you would handle this; I realize this is a huge project. But perhaps a pronunciation guide or demo would be helpful for those who have volunteered their time and resources to provide voices for RC5.I'm a European Canuck; I still talk KEY-lo-meeters instead of kil-LOH-mitters. I know what kilo means and what a meter is, but I don't know what a kil-LOH is nor what a mitter is.Just a little cultural ethnocentricity for my adopted North America :( .Bill
Hi Bill,Pronunciations are always tough ones. If we get everyone to record the same, some users say diversity is better. On the other hand, other users like to hear RC voice words exactly as they are used to in their own area. We've started collecting the pronunciation suggestions from this thread and logging them though.Incidently, you mentioned Stavanger and Malmo but didn't provide a suggestion as to how it should be pronounced? :(Subs

Incidently, you mentioned Stavanger and Malmo but didn't provide a suggestion as to how it should be pronounced? :(Subs
I didn't really know how to pronounce those myself! I realize our tendency is to add our own linguistic twist to foreign names, and I think we need to celebrate diversity rather than trying to enforce uniformity. I've been as guilty as everyone else of murdering place names in my travels. RC gives us the opportunity to fly all over the world without leaving the comfort of our own homes. I've used it for more than three years and have flown more than 2500 hrs all over the world with my virtual airline. Small refinements over the course of time will make a big difference in the realism factor.Sites like http://dictionary.reference.com/ or http://forvo.com can help out with pronunciations, even if we hang an English/American/Canuck/Brit/Oz/Kiwi accent on them :( .BillP.S. I just heard Reykjavik getting twisted

This is a good idea; I'm sure I made a few mispronunciations on my voice sets for v4 on some of the more exotic airlines, centers, etc.JD, let me know when you'll be recording voice sets for v5.Hi to all on the beta team!Cheers,Mike T.

My pet bother is Wien (German version of Vienna). Should be VEE-en. Usually comes out as WEEEEN

Guest annasarad

Speaking about Malm