Sign in to follow this  
Art_P

Number of ASA Software Activations?

After much stress getting networking to work, I have ASA working on my laptop with FSX on the desktop and am trying to analyze what benefits this creates, if any. After activating ASA on the laptop, I find it must be reactivated on the desktop to use it there for comparison. If I keep reactivating when I switch back and forth, will I use up a limited number of software activations?My initial impression on networking is that it has absolutely no affect on framerates, but it may reduce stuttering. Is this what I should expect?

Art

Hi Art,Yes, you are going to need to decide which machine you are going to run ASA on. Some see a performance gain. Some like the second screen for ASA. Some see a performance gain with X Gauge.Thanks,

Hi Art,Yes, you are going to need to decide which machine you are going to run ASA on.
Thanks Jim. When you say yes, I assume that you are replying to my last question and not about limitations on software activations. I read the license agreement and determined that I (as a single user) can have the software on two computers as long as I don't try to use them both at the same time, and no one is counting activations in order to terminate my right to the software (as is the case with some downloaded software).Regarding running ASA on a separate computer networked with FSX, I have not yet noticed any difference from running it on the same computer, nor have I noticed any difference running FSX with and without ASA running. It seems obvious, however, that not using the FSX computer's memory and CPU cycles to operate the software will allieviate some issues down the road. With a properly configured quad-core CPU and a 64 bit operating system with lots of RAM, I would expect the networking with a second computer to be a waste of time (and electricity).

Art

I have ASA running in network too, just because I love to have the wx map function visible and fly full screen too. I use ASA for both FS9 ans FSX. Both sims are running on my desktop, and ASA on my laptop. I am very sattisfied about this way of working. For FS9 I use also Ground Environment Pro too, and also on the network. It is working great.I haven't noticed any difference in fps between running ASA on a WideFS computer and running it on the same computer FS is running on. A well done piece of programming!

Hi Art,You are going to need to make a choice as to which machine ASA is going to run on in Online Mode.The License states that you can have 2 installs, one for Online Mode and one for Offline Mode.Yes, the server is counting activations and at some point you will use these up. At that point you will need a new license from us or not be able to use ASA.So to experiment is fine, but you will need to make a choice in the near future as to what machine ASA will run on.Thanks,

Hi Art,You are going to need to make a choice as to which machine ASA is going to run on in Online Mode.The License states that you can have 2 installs, one for Online Mode and one for Offline Mode.Yes, the server is counting activations and at some point you will use these up. At that point you will need a new license from us or not be able to use ASA.So to experiment is fine, but you will need to make a choice in the near future as to what machine ASA will run on.Thanks,
That's really pretty crappy. Where/where was I notified of this limitation? When I start ASA on the server computer, it tells me that it is not activated, and the only option is to click on OK wherein it proceeds to reactivate (thereby deactivating on the client computer), and visa-versa. I see no available option to use it in "Offline Mode" at startup.

Art

Yes, the server is counting activations and at some point you will use these up. At that point you will need a new license from us or not be able to use ASA.
Hi Jim,How could we get a new license for ASA? Should we send the order info and license key to your support email? Best, :(

Pedro Lima
"The sky is the home of birds... we are just guests... guests of honor" Peter Besenyei
"...redundancy is very important in aviation; that is why airplanes have 2 wings instead of 1!" M.S.A.Q.
My videos

That's really pretty crappy. Where/where was I notified of this limitation? When I start ASA on the server computer, it tells me that it is not activated, and the only option is to click on OK wherein it proceeds to reactivate (thereby deactivating on the client computer), and visa-versa. I see no available option to use it in "Offline Mode" at startup.
You weren't notified and like you, I think it's a joke that you can't have multiple installs in the same household.
How could we get a new license for ASA? Should we send the order info and license key to your support email?
The only way to get an additional license is to buy another copy of ASA. And don't bother complaining or asking about why it's setup this way because it will fall on deaf ears. I did so last week and Jim conviently avoided responding. They really don't care about this being an issue for some people or coming up with a way to resolve it.

I experienced the same problem:Asking about the possibility for a second key to use "ASA" on my weekend house flightsim computer as well, I got the short answer: Buy a second license!Even Microsoft Flight Simulator can be used in several instances! In my understanding I have to be informed about this kind of license key limitation BEFORE I buy the product !!! I understand the concerns of software developers about piracy, but I have already bought the product! I am a HIFI customer since the first "Active Sky" version and this kind of rude behaviour is not what I expected.Not forget to mention: If you read this forum you will get the impression, that "ASA" is NOT a fully developed and tested program. We have bought a beta version, working as beta testers and are still waiting for an official patch to correct all the issues ...

I experienced the same problem:Asking about the possibility for a second key to use "ASA" on my weekend house flightsim computer as well, I got the short answer: Buy a second license!Even Microsoft Flight Simulator can be used in several instances! In my understanding I have to be informed about this kind of license key limitation BEFORE I buy the product !!! I understand the concerns of software developers about piracy, but I have already bought the product! I am a HIFI customer since the first "Active Sky" version and this kind of rude behaviour is not what I expected.Not forget to mention: If you read this forum you will get the impression, that "ASA" is NOT a fully developed and tested program. We have bought a beta version, working as beta testers and are still waiting for an official patch to correct all the issues ...
Is that true? Someone of HiFisim please confirm this. I paid 50USD for ASA and I'm not interested in buy it again! :( Best,

Pedro Lima
"The sky is the home of birds... we are just guests... guests of honor" Peter Besenyei
"...redundancy is very important in aviation; that is why airplanes have 2 wings instead of 1!" M.S.A.Q.
My videos

I'm changing my PC configuration almost every 6 months, so I'm also proceeding with new Windows instalation. So, please, tell me, how many re-installation attempts for ASA I have?And please (again), don't tell me, that I can reinstall ASA by 3 (for example) times and after that I need to buy a new license for 50$.Thanks.Michal (proud HiFi Sim customer since first Active Sky).

The following are the first paragraphs of the license agreement:----------------------------------------------------------------Active Sky Advanced License Agreement© 2008 HiFi FlightwareYour use of this software indicates your acceptance of this license agreement. One copy of Active Sky Advanced may either be used by a single person who uses the software personally on one or more computers, or installed on a single workstation used non-simultaneously by multiple people, but not both. Online features including weather data downloads require singular use on a single PC. Verification of valid license status is performed at each online feature process. DO NOT SHARE YOUR LICENSE KEY, AS YOUR ONLINE FEATURES WILL BE DISABLED WHEN MULTIPLE USAGE IS DETECTED.-------------------------------------------------------------------I guess the last paragraph could indicate that I am not allowed to switch back and forth between computers for use of online features. What I don't understand is how one can use this software on more than one computer (as allowed above) and not violate the online usage limitation (for reasons I previously stated).

Art

Hi All,I will attempt to address all in one thread:1. We will make this fact clearer on our product information pages, just as it is in our license.2. Sorry, there has been no avoidance of this issue on my part. I have answered multiple threads about this and will continue to do so. However, the message will still be the same. As someone has pointed out this is a piracy safeguard, no different then XP activation, Vista activation, Office activation, or other activations. We have done much research into the number of locations where past products are being pirated and the numbers would shock you. Now you are going to say: "Well, the honest user is being punished." No, they are not, if they follow the license. If you install on one machine and activate one time, you will never have an issue. If you reinstall on the same machine multiple times it will take some time before you need a new license and this will be FREE! If you reinstall Windows every 6 months it will take many years until you need a new license and this will be FREE!3. Yes, to get a new license all you need to do is write us. I fill those requests as quickly as I can, usually in less than 24 hours.4. If you are unsatisified with this license agreement, or this product, please write me directly for a full refund. We want users to be satisfied.5. To switch to Offline Mode you need to start ASA and on the General Options tab, uncheck the Automatic Downloads box. Then click on the Save and Apply Icon. From that point forward, that copy of ASA will run in Offline mode and will never use an activation.6. Yes, you can install FSX on two different machines, just as you can install ASA on two different machines, one for Online Mode and one for Offline Mode, all using the same purchase and license.7. You will never need to repurchase ASA to get a new key, if you follow the license agreement.Thanks,

I'm affraid you are wrong about that. If you bought the product I'm sure you will get support as I did. :( Best regards,

Pedro Lima
My videos