Sign in to follow this  
Guest PilotBrad

Simconnect (SP2) Won't Install

Guest PilotBrad

I won't go into all the details, but I have an add-on that requires a connection to SimConnect, but for some reason the connection cannot be made. Here is a portion of the error as reported by the Event Viewer in Vista......Dependent Assembly Microsoft.FlightSimulator.SimConnect ,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="67c7c14424d61b5b",type="win32",version="10.0.61259.0" could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.I verified that the correct key and version of SimConnect are installed in the appropriate place, but for some reason the FSX cannot locate it. I've turned off my Firewall (Microsoft), and the error still occurs.After some research I decided that the install of SimConnect must be corrupt or installed incorrectly, so decided to attempt a reinstall. I took ownership of the folder and deleted this particular version of SimConnect (SP2 I believe), leaving me with two other versions (RTM and SP1). When I now try to install or repair SP2, SimConnect v10.0.61259.0 is not installed. I've tried repairing SP2, uninstalling it, reinstalling it, even running a standalone SimConnect installer (.msi) I downloaded, but in all cases the folder and files are not reinstalled. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can attempt to reinstall Simconnect v10.0.61259.0?I read somewhere that installing the SDK (RTM), then SDK SP1a, and SP2 might be the only way to get SimConnect back onto a system. Anyone know if this is true?Thanks!

What directories exactly did you delete? If they were the ones under the SDK install directory, those aren't used at runtime (they are just there to be used when linking your addon).The RunTime files are located in Windows\winsxs (native client) and Windows\assembly (managed client wrapper).I'm going to assume you are using managed code from the client mentioned in the error message, make sure you have changed your build setttings from the "Any CPU" build target to the "x86" build target (the managed client is a wrapper around the 32-bit native library and they have to match bitness).Tim

The FSX SDKs have a program 'ConfigSDK.exe' that needs to be run after the SDK installation... perhaps that was not manually run.Dick

Guest PilotBrad
I'm going to assume you are using managed code from the client mentioned in the error message, make sure you have changed your build setttings from the "Any CPU" build target to the "x86" build target (the managed client is a wrapper around the 32-bit native library and they have to match bitness).Tim
Tim,Thanks, but let me be honest, a lot of what you said is over my head. I am just a lowly user who knows enough to get himself into trouble but not enough to get out. :( I deleted the folders which contain the SimConnect.dlls from within Windows\winsxs. At that point I hadn't installed the SDKs yet. I was trying to fix it by deleting those folders and files and reinstalling simconnect from a standalone .msi installer. After running the installer several times, new folders and simconnect.dll were not created. I then removed a few registry entries for simconnect 10.0.61259.0 and re-ran the installer. This time it worked, it created a new folder and simconnect.dll, however the "simconnect cannot be located" errors still occured.Since that didn't work, I uninstalled SP2, SP1 and repaired the original FSX install. Then I installed SDK-SP1a, SDK-SP2, and SP1 and SP2... still no love... the "Simconnect cannot be located" remained even though it is clearly there.I've tried almost every solution I could find and have completely rebuilt my FSX stack several times now. My latest theory is that it might have something to do with some .NET install changes I made recently.Thanks,

Guest PilotBrad
The FSX SDKs have a program 'ConfigSDK.exe' that needs to be run after the SDK installation... perhaps that was not manually run.
Thanks Dick. I did not manually run it. I'll give it a shot.
Did it work OK before SP2? Sounds a lot like the problem I found and posted the other day;http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=240597
Wow Peter, that is strage. No my problem started after SP2 was already installed. To make a short story long... it was functioning fine until I added UTX and GEX (and possibly made some .NET framework changes), then it stopped working. I've uninstalled/cleaned/reinstalled everything but the errors just won't go away. Oh and BTW, my docs are on C. Thanks.Thanks,

Thanks Dick. I did not manually run it. I'll give it a shot.Wow Peter, that is strage. No my problem started after SP2 was already installed. To make a short story long... it was functioning fine until I added UTX and GEX (and possibly made some .NET framework changes), then it stopped working. I've uninstalled/cleaned/reinstalled everything but the errors just won't go away. Oh and BTW, my docs are on C. Thanks.Thanks,
Brad,Tis strange indeed; a very, very frustrating week over the Xmas break, compounded by such a simple (if not obscure) cause. During the long process of trying to get Simconnect working for me, I did find that, unfortunately, deleting the SxS folders would really break Simconnect (there is a heads up from the FSinsider site - http://www.fsinsider.com/tips/Pages/SA0001.aspx, although I can't guarantee the currency of it, its near 18 months old now). I went with a complete OS reinstall after that, although whether it was a problem with the SxS or the issue later found, I couldn't say. What were the .NET changes? I seem to recall that .NET and Simconnect can not always play nicely together, again, reading a post about that (unable to find it now, though). Have a go at reinstalling .NET, I'm sure that wouldn't do any harm...Leo

Louise

London, UK

If you have an addon that uses simconnect, the SDK is not required or is it any part of the problem with simconnect not functioning.If simconnect was fine a few days ago, Windows restore is probably the best way to go, as it should restore your computer to it's working condition as of the restore date.If restore doesn't work, then...Simconnect is an integral part of FSX. The WINSXS folder should have 3 versions of simconnect ( on for RTM, one for SP1 and one for SP2 ). Thses are installed by the FSX installs... not the SDK installs. So it follows, if these are not present, then you might try uninstalling all versions of FSX and updates ( in reverse order ) to clean the system of FSX. You may need to use a uninstaller 'cleaner' program to assure they are removed, and regisrty entries are removed, and go to the WINSXS folder, and remove the simconnect folders. This may require administrator rights to get to the zero install state of FSX. Then rename the remnants of your FSX program folder.With your system in it's pre-FSX state, you should be able to reinstall ( & register ) FSX in order... RTM, then SP1, then SP2. And your system will then have 3 versions of simconnect in the WINSXS folder.Under no conditions should the WINSXS folders, or simconnect ever be deleted. There would never be a need for that. The sim will look at addons, and properly use the correct version of simconnect to run them... if those addons were made correctly.After reinstall add back addons to your satisfaction. You renamed OLD FSX folder may contain them to simplify reinstallation.the error report: version="10.0.61259.0" indicates Simconnect SP2 is not found.Dick

Guest PilotBrad

Thanks Dick.I understand, but that was my point... several COMPLETE uninstallations, cleaning of files, folders and the registry, then reinstallations have left me with the same problem. The appropriate version of SimConnect (SP2) is installed, and has been reinstalled several times, but nothing seems to have any effect on the error. The ONLY reason I installed the SDKs is because I found a discussion elsewhere where someone with a similar problem who had tried many possible solutions was finally able eliminate the SimConnect cannot be found errors by installing the SDKs. It was a last ditch effort on my part to solve the issue. I didn't work.Unfortunately, I have attempted so many things to resolve this issue that System Restore now does not have a restore point far enough back in time that will allow me to revert to a working state. I should have tried it sooner... lesson learned.About a week ago, I installed .NET 3.5 and I've read discussions where people have theorized about .NETs install/uninstall causing problems with SimConnect. All of it theory, and most have resorted to a complete rebuild of their systems to resolve the issue which is something I am trying to avoid.Thanks,

I'm still not sure what addon you are trying to use, but it's possible that addon is the problem.The SDK SP2 contains smaples of simconnect that I thnk are created with the simconnect version . Try "TextMenu" with the sim running ( in windowed mode ). Just doubleclick TextMenu.exe Crtl-F1 turns on the menu, CTRL-F2 turns it off.It should also tell you the version of simconnect used.Dick

Guest PilotBrad

Sorry Dick, it's an add-on aircraft; the DreamFleet Piper Dakota. However, it's not the A/C itself that's having the problems, it's the RealityXP gauge stack that it uses. If I delete the .DLLs for the guages, the Dakota loads and flies fine, albeit with no gauges or avionics. I've been on their support forums as well, and they have suggested as you have, uninstall/clean/reinstall the FSX stack.Just to be clear too, FSX works just fine for all stock A/C. It's only the Dakota that I am having problems with, but it's also the Dakota that is the only A/C I care about.I do have a week-old back-up I could revert to, however I don't really see it as an option as what if something goes awry in the restoration process. Then I have no primary hard disk and potentially no workable back-up. I'll try the TextMenu thing you mentioned.Thanks,

Guest PilotBrad

Dick, your comments triggered a thought.So far all of the errors I have been receiving reference the SP2 version of SimConnect. I am wondering what would happen if I removed SP2, and ran the A/C on SP1. If the error still occurs but now calls another version of SimConnect, then my issues would seem to be larger in scope. If the A/C loads, then it might point more or less to SimConnect v SP2.The A/C is compatible with SP1, so in theory it should work.Hmmmmmmm.

Guest JeanLuc_

The issue has been exhibited with the Reality XP gauges included with the Dakota. They use a late/dynamic binding system to "hook" with SimConnect, like documented in this old thread (complete source code included):http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=224140&hl=It is pretty much the same way Pete Dowson is doing as well (at least, at the time of the post). The peculiar issue is that this technique works for all customers, since the first RXP products for FSX were released.This most likely is an issue with the system, like another group of users found out with Crisis (the game) having similar issues with another sxs assembly for the game. Other reports show that this might be a Vista bug of some sort.If anyone has a solution for this sxs issue, it is most welcomed. This will save the OP to reformat the drive to reinstall the faulty OS.

Guest PilotBrad

Thanks for commenting here Jean-Luc.For those that might be following this, I am throwing in the towel. Last night I gave it one last try by uninstalling everything FSX related, cleaning the HDD and registry and reinstalling FSX and SP1 only. My hopes were that I could get the Dakota flying on just SP1, but it didn't work.I ended up with the same simconnect errors referencing SP2 (10.0.61259.0) that I had before despite the fact that i had removed all SimConnect SP2 files from the HDD and entries from the registry. I think it is clear, that as Jean-Luc has pointed out, I have larger issues.That being said, I am moving on to plan B. I have in my pocession a brand new larger hard drive which I will be transferring my current Vista install to. Once that is complete, I will partition the free space and create a dual-boot system with a XP installed on the other partition. The XP install will be dedicated to FSX and related add-ons.Thank you for your help. Over and out!