Sign in to follow this  
Guest Captain Barfbag

Recomend cheap 3-axis USB joystick?

I'm on the lookout for just a cheap generic 3-axis USB joystick. I don't want 100s of buttons, switches, or a hat switch. I want to get two of them and remove the guts and build a twin engine GA throttle console. So far all I can find are fany smancy multi-button, hatswitch, ergonomic, twistyrudder type sticks. Just a 3-axis, two button joystick will do. Does anybody make such a thing?

Logitech has one called the "Wingman Attack 2". it was under $20.00 when I got one (about 6 months ago) to rip apart for something similar.

An easier deal is to drop by Radio Shack and pick up one or two of those Game Port to USB converters. You can just wire four 100K pots and four buttons to a DB15 connector like an analog joystick does, then plug it into the converter and you're done.- BobThe StickWorkshttp://www.stickworks.com

Guest RSmith

Have to suggest the plain vanilla MS Sidewinder USB - not the Sidewinder Pro, nor any of their feedback models. The Sidewinder - in our local stores, is less than $35, and although it does include a hat switch (I don't use), the other buttons are the standard minimum (but enough for flaps, spoilers, gear, trim & brakes, etc.). Reason I like it - very simple, adequate for my departure & arrival flying "hands-on", and, very easy to calibrate and setup (FSUIPC or MSFS). Throttle is one of my "sensitive" quality points - and the Sidewinder has that Sidewinder Pro "smoooooth...." feeling to it - will not encourgae a "slam" to full throttle up, or down - just enough resistence ! Seesm to hold minor inputs very well !Anyway.... anothr vote for your consideration........

Too bad it's hidious looking. :)My recommendation does NOT count for this discussion, as I can never recommmend any 'stick other than those produced by CH. Fantastic feeling, long long life, and a good all around experience. Sadly, they are rare in retail shops, as well as more pricy.The Flightstick is a great, quality, no frills joystick. And you can go up from there. :) (hmm, I think it's only two axis though - yet another reason why my recommendations don't count!)

I was actually hoping to find something like a CH flightstick. I still have, and still use my ~10 year old CH flightstick. I use it as a rudder stick since I don't have pedals. I didn't see a USB version of it, do they make one. It is 3 axis, but mine isn't anymore. I used the pot from the throttle to repair a bad pot on my CH Virtual Pilot Pro, which again I still have and still works, but has been retired to my newer CH Flight Sim Yoke USB.Those PC to USB converters look like something to check out. Has anyone actually used one? I could use the parts from my old CH VPP instead of buying two new joysticks. How do they handle multi-buton sticks like the CH VPP? If I could use the 6 buttons and two hat switches, I could fashion up some kind of button panel with the throttle console.

Or... you could pick up a couple of linear slide pots and make twin engine throttles out of them. It's much easier to work out mechanically that way. I made a dual throttle quadrant with two slide pots for throttles plus two more for mixture and prop. You need to have at least one button for calibration and I have it programmed for reverse thrust. You can use a JS to USB adapter or go directly into a JS port if you have one free. It'll work with pots anywhere from 50 to 250 megohms. The only problem is finding the pots. Linears are fairly rare and audio tapers will not work. Some good electronics supply stores have them. Sometimes All Electronics www.allelectronics.com has a fairly good selection of them.Al Wheeler

CH does make a FlightStick USB. Same basic hardware as the analog version but they have an 8-way hat now. They work very well, but at $60 or so they're kind of an expensive stick if all you want is to junk it for the innards.WRT the yoke buttons, etc. have a look at the Gameport->USB converter made by Rockfire. The CH game port stuff that had more than 4 buttons or a hat used chorded buttons to generate the extras since the game port itself only has 4 buttons. You could probably pull the decoding logic out of the old yoke okay, but I don't believe the Radio Shack converter will decode the chorded buttons and it seems to me that the Rockfire unit claims to have that capability.- BobThe StickWorkshttp://www.stickworks.com

>> It'll work with pots anywhere from 50 to 250 megohms. <<50 Megs to 250 Megs is kind of high, most joysticks use pots of around 100K more or less. Are you sure you don't mean 50K to 250K?- BobThe StickWorkshttp://www.stickworks.com

Oh yes, I did mean 50 K to 250 K. A stupid mistake from a guy that was an electronics tech for over 40 years. I'll blame that one on another of my many "senior moments". Arrrggghh.Al Wheeler

Guest Captain Barfbag

I kept my old pre-USB yoke and throttle and just got a Soundblaster card to use as a gameport input. I works just fine, even better than on the old P133. I had to retire the CH Gameport card though- no ISA slots.