Sign in to follow this  
Mike S KPDX

DF Cardinal Users, What you think of this type of panel...

I always have a hard time reading gauges from most landing panels and have made a number for myself for various aircrafts and was wondering what some of you think of this larger type for the Cardinal? Like I said, it's to help when landing or on taxi and to be able to read the gauges without eye strain! Note: The gauges appear not very round in the screenshot but do look right in FS. And here's the default 177 landing panel on pic 2http://forums.avsim.com/user_files/3142.jpghttp://forums.avsim.com/user_files/3147.jpg[h5]Best Wishes,Randy J. SmithSan Jose Ca[/h5][h3]" A little learning is a dangerous thing"[/h3]AMD [pink]XP[/pink] 2200 |MUNCHKIN 512 DDR RAM |ECS[/b ][i] K7S5A MB[/i] |GF3 64 MEG |WIN XP PRO |MITSUBISHI DIAMOND PLUS 91 19"

Well done...I have always liked a panel that puts you in the drivers seat. Almost all the panels have you sitting way back between the seats. Even ones that state that they give you the 'pilots' perspective, again, just seem to move you to the left a bit. Thank god for VC's.The way I see it with most panels (payware included) it is like driving your car from the middle of the back seat, or the one behind the driver!If this was a driving sim, would you like 'panels' that included so much of the dashboard that you saw the keylock on the glove box??Think about it.Again, great mod

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

Guest Marvel

>Well done...>>I have always liked a panel that puts you in the drivers seat.> Almost all the panels have you sitting way back between the>seats. Even ones that state that they give you the 'pilots'>perspective, again, just seem to move you to the left a bit. >Thank god for VC's.>>The way I see it with most panels (payware included) it is>like driving your car from the middle of the back seat, or the>one behind the driver!>>If this was a driving sim, would you like 'panels' that>included so much of the dashboard that you saw the keylock on>the glove box??>>Think about it.>>Again, great modMaybe FS panels have to be made like this just to compensate a view angle of real humen eyes, which span 180 degree horizontal. In sim you have only a narow monitor which occupy just a small portion of your viewing angle, therefore panels have to be made as viewing from further back and a bit center to depict what a real eye can see in a real cockpit.edit to addand also taking into account the importance of having a 2D cockpit which can display enought important flight instruments that an eye can scan throughout in a glance.

Here is the finished version. I took into account the proper left seat view as the ((center)) of the panel. This does not exclude any panel from the original Cardinal package, but uses the ((add-on cfg entry)), left open for designers from DF. I will ask Lou if this is ok to upload to the forums seeing that it contains no ((original)) DF content, unless one considers a greatly modified BMP original. It also has a handy hidden switch-over gauge.....http://forums.avsim.com/user_files/3183.jpg[h5]Best Wishes,Randy J. SmithSan Jose Ca[/h5][h3]" A little learning is a dangerous thing"[/h3]AMD [pink]XP[/pink] 2200 |MUNCHKIN 512 DDR RAM |ECS[/b ][i] K7S5A MB[/i] |GF3 64 MEG |WIN XP PRO |MITSUBISHI DIAMOND PLUS 91 19"

I'll be surprised if they let you distribute any modifed bitmaps. They're copyrighted by Dreamfleet and they're very protective of their work.-Todd

Well that might be the case but then again one must own the Cardinal to even use it. This of course does not stop one from privately distributing the panel amounst the Cardinal users if it's not allowed to be uploaded to Avsim's library...[h5]Best Wishes,Randy J. SmithSan Jose Ca[/h5][h3]" A little learning is a dangerous thing"[/h3]AMD [pink]XP[/pink] 2200 |MUNCHKIN 512 DDR RAM |ECS[/b ][i] K7S5A MB[/i] |GF3 64 MEG |WIN XP PRO |MITSUBISHI DIAMOND PLUS 91 19"

Well if thats the case, why don't they just hire Randy to make their landing views?????DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Guest cw1011

I don't buy it. Dreamfleet does a good job of putting the important flight instruments dead center in the view and uses pop-ups and undockables to ensure all the necesary info is available. Paul Golding gives users a choice on his excellent 707 panel - a true pilot's perspective and the complete instrument perspective. I have trouble flying planes with jump seat views straight without the MSFS V symbol from the View options menus. Line up is a nightmare. Worst offender is the Dash-8 freeware plane by Frolov. Primary flight instruments are so far to the left that lining up the plane is pretty much impossible. The Ready for Pushback has this problem as well. The back-up artificial horizon is dead center in the panel. Take a look at the picture on their website and tell me if the airplane is pointed down the runway or at the control tower. You can't tell. Give me the primary instruments dead center and pop-ups and undockables for everything else. Colin

Colin, I agree completely. Almost all comercial aircraft designed within the last 15 years have the ADI unit DIRECTLY inline with the yoke and pilots line of sight.One of the worst offenders in the FS world is a commercial package (that I really like - will not mention names) that actually has the yoke in the VC offset to the right placing it almost dirctly next to the throttle quad (touching). This was done, I assume, to make it match the 2d pit. I could not believe it, they even have as part of the package a photo showing the real aircraft panel, and of course the yoke is centered under the ADI.Bad enough with the 2d, but please leave the VC alone. This is a big sore point with me, so enough said. I am off my high horse now, thanks.

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K