Sign in to follow this  
G7USL

"In Real Life"

I really must complain about the use of this phrase, its' used nearly all the time in these forums.WHAT YOU REALLY MEAN IS IN 'REALITY' English is a language you should be proud of. Thank you for reading - Rant over.

Dave Taylor gb.png

Guest UlfB
I really must complain about the use of this phrase, its' used nearly all the time in these forums.WHAT YOU REALLY MEAN IS IN 'REALITY' English is a language you should be proud of. Thank you for reading - Rant over.
I'm from Sweden and I'm very sorry but my native language isn't english. I'm proud of my Swedish. Du kanske skulle ha valt ett annat forum f

Thank you, Dave. For those of us who love language, whether English or any other, and consider its (not its') proper use essential to good communication, the mangling of the language simply demonstrates the failure of the educational system, not any particular fault in people.Perhaps you meant to say that instead of "in real life", one could just write "in life", since life is already real and the phrase is redundant.Of course, the contraction of "it is" should be written "it's" and not "its' ".Dangling prepositions are a common fault; write proudly instead "English is a language of which one should be proud." Even better, avoid the convoluted phrase and write "Be proud of the English language!"On the other hand, language is not written or spoken perfectly anywhere, perhaps because people are not perfect. It is difficult for those of us who love language to accept this, yet accept it we must, if only to avoid constant aggravation.Best regards.Luis

I see no problem with this expression. After all, many people come to the boards here and talk about how they "flew" this and that and here and there.They didn't fly anything or anywhere-they were using a computer. Therefore they are speaking of a "imaginary life" or "simulated life" of flying vs. a real life of flying.Makes sense to me.

I agree with Geofa, that's how I interpret it too. I use the phrase quite often myself.

I am married to a woman who edits medical journals (for spelling an proper english). I, on the other hand can just manage to spell "cat". Modern English is full of forgettable phrases. Remember the "Get Smart" powerhouse "sorry about that". That drove even me nuts. However, I have to give a "big yawn" to Dave's complaint. Sorry about that. As long as we are all using the best English we can, and are getting our point across, I think that is the main thing."BTW", though editors and English teachers lament it, it is now acceptable to end a sentance with a preposition. Visit a journal editors fourm sometime for some real excitment. They talk about things like " dangaling participle". Any one care to "take a stab" at that one?Anyway, I think there are more important things to worry about.Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

'In real life' is a phrase that can be used as an attack in a political or other argument.'In real life, people with families have to pay taxes', meaning, your hare-brained scheme to spend public money on new roads / new schools / new hospitals / replacement weapon systems (delete as appropriate) is a complete waste of money and just shows that you are living in cloud-cuckoo land, not in the real world that the rest of us inhabit.However, because we virtual aviators spend so much time 'flying' imaginary planes over imaginary landscapes that are nevertheless very good approximations of the real thing, we do need reminding that this is not our 'real life'. Our 'real life' has spouses, children, bills, shopping, jobs and other real stuff that we choose not to simulate in our 'virtual life'. So there's more to our 'real life' than just 'reality'; it's about living in reality, and all the mess that entails.

Petraeus

'In real life' is a phrase that can be used as an attack in a political or other argument.'In real life, people with families have to pay taxes', meaning, your hare-brained scheme to spend public money on new roads / new schools / new hospitals / replacement weapon systems (delete as appropriate) is a complete waste of money and just shows that you are living in cloud-cuckoo land, not in the real world that the rest of us inhabit.However, because we virtual aviators spend so much time 'flying' imaginary planes over imaginary landscapes that are nevertheless very good approximations of the real thing, we do need reminding that this is not our 'real life'. Our 'real life' has spouses, children, bills, shopping, jobs and other real stuff that we choose not to simulate in our 'virtual life'. So there's more to our 'real life' than just 'reality'; it's about living in reality, and all the mess that entails.
I don't think anyone is doing any reminding , scolding,or attacking. However, one has to have a way to contrast "simulated life" to "real life".I use this phrase quite often with my children who raised in the internet age often seem to be more in the "imaginary life" than the "real life" or the "real world" and quite often have to remind them to get in the "real world".I just uploaded my mission for flying the Baron here and used the term "real world flying techniques". In a very efficient way this lets a user know that the advice being given comes not from someone only familiar with flight simming, but is based on experience from the (real) world vs. the (simulated) world.When a user comes on for instance who has no familiarity with the "(real) flying" and complains that the air speed indicator reads too low at altitude-if one said "that is how it works in life" I don't think the message would contrast that in a simming world vs. a real world that that is how it works in "real life".Of course some have just shortened this to "get real". I use that one on my kids too. :(I suppose instead of one saying "real life" or "real world" one could say" in the non simulated environment" but in addition to being wordy this strikes me a little like a car dealer calling what used to be a "used car" to a "preowned car".

You're on really shakey ground here. Especially since you don't know how to use an apostrophe properly. Nor do you know that you don't need a capital letter after a hyphen.But I understand what it is to have a bee in the bonnet about something. There are plenty of things that get my goat. Only, this is a flight simming forum, open to people of all nationalities and standards of education. As long as the meaning is clear, perhaps we should just go along with it??Happy simming.Obama

You're on really shakey ground here.
So are you! It's very dangerous to criticise (or 'criticize' in US English) someone else's English in one's own incorrectly spelt English. :(

Petraeus

Guest Alphahawk3

It took me a few seconds to understand the post....a little dense today I guess. Someone once critiqued my English when I asked a question on here a year or so back...my reply was..."I am not going back to English 101 or I believe now it is called English 1010". Yes a slow day. Regards

Guest rdg

Luis,You are such a nice guy! You certainly have attained the art of diplomacy! Diplomacy (spelling may be incorrect) is the art of letting someone else have your way. You certainly have a way to get your point across without hurting someones feelings!RegardsBob G

Thank you, Dave. For those of us who love language, whether English or any other, and consider its (not its') proper use essential to good communication, the mangling of the language simply demonstrates the failure of the educational system, not any particular fault in people.Perhaps you meant to say that instead of "in real life", one could just write "in life", since life is already real and the phrase is redundant.Of course, the contraction of "it is" should be written "it's" and not "its' ".Dangling prepositions are a common fault; write proudly instead "English is a language of which one should be proud." Even better, avoid the convoluted phrase and write "Be proud of the English language!"On the other hand, language is not written or spoken perfectly anywhere, perhaps because people are not perfect. It is difficult for those of us who love language to accept this, yet accept it we must, if only to avoid constant aggravation.Best regards.Luis

So are you! It's very dangerous to criticise (or 'criticize' in US English) someone else's English in one's own incorrectly spelt English. :(
Not so! It's an alternative spelling.. :( And that's the whole point of my post. As long as the meaning's clear, what difference does it make??Note: at least one grammatical/spelling error has been included in this post to exercise the grey matter of those so inclined..Good work on your index by the way...

Luis,You are such a nice guy! You certainly have attained the art of diplomacy! Diplomacy (spelling may be incorrect) is the art of letting someone else have your way. You certainly have a way to get your point across without hurting someones feelings!RegardsBob G
You guys are great..............When somebody say's "How long is a piece of string"?Answer; "Twice as long as half it's length". Have a nice day :(

Dave Taylor gb.png