Sign in to follow this  
Krister

Silent captain possible?

Would it be possible to add the option where you leave out everything the captain says. Instead you read the captain's checklist part, the briefing and all that stuff and make the FO respond by klicking the green button. Probably another one of my bad ideas, but they always seem so right when I ask them! :)

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

Guest Boeing Skunk Works

I don't think it's a bad idea at all. You are, after all, supposed to be the Captain. Why shouldn't you be the one reading the appropriate checklist and giving the departure briefing?Nothing like being a passenger on your own flight deck.The DF727 has no checklist reading by the crew, but the crosscheck and start callouts are all made by the FO and FE. You don't hear any imaginary captain saying things you should be saying.Sort of kills the immersion factor.

I don't think it's a bad idea at all. You are, after all, supposed to be the Captain. Why shouldn't you be the one reading the appropriate checklist and giving the departure briefing?Nothing like being a passenger on your own flight deck.The DF727 has no checklist reading by the crew, but the crosscheck and start callouts are all made by the FO and FE. You don't hear any imaginary captain saying things you should be saying.Sort of kills the immersion factor.
I do see your point but I don't fully agree. The FO and other crew's responses are fixed anyway, so in order to make it sound reasonable, you would need to know the FS2Crew captain script by heart. Once we get to the point where FS2Crew actually has AI, then it's a different story :(

I do see your point but I don't fully agree. The FO and other crew's responses are fixed anyway, so in order to make it sound reasonable, you would need to know the FS2Crew captain script by heart. Once we get to the point where FS2Crew actually has AI, then it's a different story :(
Exactly. Now, if you want to strip out the Captain's voice, all you'd need to do is grab any wav editor and open the FS2Crew sound files and just delete the Captain's voice.It'd probably take a few hours of work, but it's do-able.However, you'd then have to memorize everything the Captain says.Granted, that might work for you, but for 99.5 percent of our users, it wouldn't be practical.A lot of people, frankly, don't even have the time to read the manual let alone memorize a complex dialogue.Cheers,

Exactly. Now, if you want to strip out the Captain's voice, all you'd need to do is grab any wav editor and open the FS2Crew sound files and just delete the Captain's voice.It'd probably take a few hours of work, but it's do-able.However, you'd then have to memorize everything the Captain says.Granted, that might work for you, but for 99.5 percent of our users, it wouldn't be practical.A lot of people, frankly, don't even have the time to read the manual let alone memorize a complex dialogue.Cheers,
Indeed, having the WHOLE captain's part of the conversation silent was perhaps not what I had in mind either (now that I had time to think of it...). What I pictured is the part where the captain is going through the checklist - making his voice silent there and instead create a checklist based on what is saying and read that myself. And probably also making the two briefings silent so that the FO can verifiy them as "done". I really love FS2Crew and the immersion factor it brings, but I feel a bit uninvited to the party when those chaps are doing all the talking! Now where did I put my sound editor!?

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

Indeed, having the WHOLE captain's part of the conversation silent was perhaps not what I had in mind either (now that I had time to think of it...). What I pictured is the part where the captain is going through the checklist - making his voice silent there and instead create a checklist based on what is saying and read that myself. And probably also making the two briefings silent so that the FO can verifiy them as "done". I really love FS2Crew and the immersion factor it brings, but I feel a bit uninvited to the party when those chaps are doing all the talking! Now where did I put my sound editor!?
Hi Krister,For a complex custom job like that, indeed, the sound editor is the (only) way to go.Just make sure you back everything up first!Cheers,