Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest onurozdi

Landing Angle

Hi. Maybe my question is so stupid but I just want to ask.I'm using FSX with Wilco's products. In real life, I realized that while landing the aircraft touches the runway with a very low angle. A soft touch I mean. Moreover, last month my flight has delayed for 2,5 hours in Ankara Esenboga Airport. And I watched lots of landings during that time. All planes touched the ground very gently. In FSX, I made lots of ILS landings with default and Wilco's aircrafts. All approaches are good but the landing seems so harsh when compared with real life touches. Aircraft does not crash but just a harsh landing. Now my question: Is there a landing/touching angle control to set in FSX?If that's a very simple question for forum im so sorry.Thank's in advance.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Your goal is to land at an acceptable sink rate. Actual angle does not matter, as it would change with speed.-400+:Hard landing-300: Acceptable-200: Smooth-100: Greaser

Your goal is to land at an acceptable sink rate. Actual angle does not matter, as it would change with speed.-400+:Hard landing-300: Acceptable-200: Smooth-100: Greaser
Thanks for the answer. Am I able to set that values to the AP before landing. I think you say Vertical Speeds. Can I set that from vertical speed selector?

The autopilot doesn't land the planes the pilots do. There are very few aircraft that have autoland capability. One aircraft that does it well is the LDS 767.

The autopilot doesn't land the planes the pilots do. There are very few aircraft that have autoland capability. One aircraft that does it well is the LDS 767.
Oh. Thanks for answer. I think 300 or 200 before landing, pilots take control of the plane, don't they? That means I must buy a flight controller for smooth landings. :( I tried setting VS selector to -200 just before landing but nothing happened in Wilco's PIC 737-400. Thanks anyway.

Oh. Thanks for answer. I think 300 or 200 before landing, pilots take control of the plane, don't they? That means I must buy a flight controller for smooth landings. :( I tried setting VS selector to -200 just before landing but nothing happened in Wilco's PIC 737-400. Thanks anyway.
You cant use V/S to land the aircraft because the A/T will increase the throttle to keep up with the MCP speed making it the loooooongest flare of your life. Instead, disconnect the A/P at the MDH and hand fly her in.

Yes. Good controls are helpful in landing. A good joystick or yoke with a good throttle (either part of the joystick or yoke, or separate unit) are, in my opinion, essential equipment for flight simulator. All take-offs and nearly all landings are performed without auto-pilot. In the real-world, auto-pilot landings require an aircraft with the proper equipment and certification, a pilot with the proper training and certification, and an airport with the proper equipment and certification. Without all three of these, an auto-land cannot be performed.The Wilco/fT 737PIC will do auto-lands provided it is set-up correctly. It requires properly setting up the FMC, knowing the approach speed, having the ILS frequency in both Nav1 and Nav2, and both autopilots to be engaged (CMD A and CMD :(. To be honest, of all the hours I've spent with the Wilco and PMDG 737s, I've only performed a handful of auto-landings. A few for training and currency in the VA I flew with, and the rest when the weather dictated it.

Ok, let me put it like this... (Mis-)Using the autopilot for "learning" how to land aircraft is not exactly a very great approach to achieve the goal to grease it. I'd take a small prop and learn fly and land first, simply ignoring the A/P. The neccessary experience to master landing doesn't really come from twisting the thumb wheel of the V/S part of the A/P. But for that you definately should get some decent flight control hardware. There's no way around it, the keyboard simply does not work. Period. :(Good luck!Etienne

It should probably be added that jets don't normally "grease it" as you do not want them floating long distances down the runway in flare and possibly ballooning up for a stall. A 10 foot drop to the runway in a 4-seat Piper Cherokee will break the wing spar and leave the impressions from the bolts on top of the nose gear in the skin under the fuselage and it only ways around 1500 pounds. You can imagine what a jet weighting tens of thousands of pounds will do if it stalls only a few feet above the runway.

It should probably be added that jets don't normally "grease it" as you do not want them floating long distances down the runway in flare and possibly ballooning up for a stall. A 10 foot drop to the runway in a 4-seat Piper Cherokee will break the wing spar and leave the impressions from the bolts on top of the nose gear in the skin under the fuselage and it only ways around 1500 pounds. You can imagine what a jet weighting tens of thousands of pounds will do if it stalls only a few feet above the runway.
Ok now to that I can add something in return again :(. The 'better' jet landings are the firm ones, no matter what the pax say. You are correct that you absolutely do not want to stall a jet before touchdown. The landing techniques for jets and props differ somewhat. You really flare the prop out, pull, pull, and just pull even a little more... You might stall the prop (not too early LOL) just before touchdown. Then again, you might not really stall aerodynamically but just hear the stall warning. I've done it numerous times in real life and some of these landings were the smoothest I have ever had, I guess not only because of the really low touchdown speed. Ok you really do not want to do that in a jet, so you don't flare the jet out like a prop. The one reason for that John already gave, the other one is that you want to make positive contact with the ground, because you first want the tires to get a good grip quick and not rub for too long on the runway surface, second you need that positive landing to activate quite a few systems, for example automatic spoiler deployment, automatic braking, and to be able to unlock the reversers.Be advised that in real life, especially with wet runways, greased landings can get a little dangerous. First of all, there is something called rubber reversion hydroplaning, which is not exactly something you are looking for in order to get your aircraft slowed down. Next is that your gear struts might not get compressed enough. There is an air-ground sensor inside that checks if the plane is on the ground, but in case the struts are not compressed enough the logic won't switch to 'ground' state and won't activate the above mentioned systems. Also not really helpful.So yes, the jets will retard their thrust at, say, 30 to 20 feet above ground and pull back on the yoke/stick to initiate a slight flare, then just let it settle down in the TDZ. Recently I was told that a touchdown speed of around 180 FPM was optimum. You can say that is not exactly a greased landing. But it will do the job. And that's what counts. :(

In case you're all wondering, the mention of the wing spar is from an incident at our flight school just before I entered in. It had to be flown, with special permission, back to Grand Forks, North Dakota for repair with the wing spar (thick metal support beam that runs from wingtip to wingtip) pretty well in two pieces. The damage was caught by the next student afterward who noticed that the wings did not appear right, as they had a slight anhedral instead of the pronounced dihedral a Cherokee has.

In case you're all wondering, the mention of the wing spar is from an incident at our flight school just before I entered in. It had to be flown, with special permission, back to Grand Forks, North Dakota for repair with the wing spar (thick metal support beam that runs from wingtip to wingtip) pretty well in two pieces. The damage was caught by the next student afterward who noticed that the wings did not appear right, as they had a slight anhedral instead of the pronounced dihedral a Cherokee has.
It had an anhedral and they still flew it?! They must have been desperate for flight hours!

It had an anhedral and they still flew it?! They must have been desperate for flight hours!
Maybe they thought the strut was just compressed.... :( L.Adamson

Maybe they thought the strut was just compressed.... :( L.Adamson
Haha! Quite the opposite for those Pipers. It always seems to be stuck extended from flight. You know you had a good landing when the two mains would be stuck fully extended and then you go around a corner and they would pop back in place!