Sign in to follow this  
Slick9

FS9 OOM questions 64 bit or 32 bit?

Hello, as implied I am having OOM issues, my issues are with the 744 in FS9. I know it's not a PMDG problem and I understand the issue is with the 2gb limit in memory usage that 32bit applications allow. So I built a new PC with XP 64 bit and i still had a CTD flying KBFI to KORD (FS Dreamteam). It happened on the downwind leg overflying KORD. I found two AFCADs for the KORD scenery and deleted one, but before further testing I want to make sure my system is "clean" I installed Process Exlporer to take a detailed look at memory usage, but I am not sure which columns I should be paying attention to so I added Private Byte, Virtual Memory (VM), and Peak Working Set. After loading the PMDG 744 at KORD under Private Byte I have 818K, VM 1.2GB, and Peak Working Set 846K, are these good or bad, and which ones are important when trying to solve the OOM issue. Aslo I downloaded and ran this program to set the FS9 exe to largeaddressaware. (http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php) I recieved the successful message afterwards, however, I just noticed this when I ran FS9 and looked in the Windows Task Manager: "Flight Simulator *32", does this mean I have not successfully enabled FS9 to use more than 2 gigs of memory? I am also wondering why eventhough I have 4gigs of ram, when I run DXDIAG it shows me only having 3.264GB of RAM? And final question, should I go to DirectX 10?My Sys:Win XP Pro 64BitIntel Quad Core 6600 @ 2.454 GB of RAM 6400 DDR2 @ 800Mhz9800 GTX (512MB)Thnx for the help as usual!!!!

Please sign your name to your posts per forum rules.1. Check and make sure that your BIOS is actually reporting the correct amount of RAM - that's really odd that you see the 3.2xGB in 64-bit.2. Those memory numbers you're seeing don't seem very indicative of an OOM to me - the OOM happens when you exceed 2GB of User Virtual Address Space under a 32-bit OS. That shouldn't even be an issue in x64, and if the crash is happening at 1.2GB virtual, that's not the issue.3. The *32 in the Task Manager process list simply means that it's a 32-bit application and not a native 64-bit one. You should be good after running the patch thing...I'm almost positive the problem is being caused by something in that scenery you mentioned - I would uninstall/disable that and see if the problem goes away, then reinstall/reenable and see if it reappears.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Hi Ryan,Thanks for the response. After reading your post I rebooted my machine and ran DXDiag again and much to my suprise I was only showing 2GB of RAM. Then I turned the machine off and checked the RAM sticks and sure enough one of the clips was sticking out slightly, so I put the stick back in and booted up and now I'm showing 3.264GB of RAM again. I will check the BIOS when I get home this evening. I strongly suspect that the RAM had slipped out before my OOM flight because the system crashed right after I booted up for the flight and then it gave me a message about recovering from a serious error. So I was probably only flying with 2GB of RAM active. Anyway, long story short, I will check RAM and refly this weekend and see what happens. Thanks for the help!!!!!!!Richard

The value of interest is the VM value... when that reaches 2Gb for a 32bit application with no /3Gb switch, bam... apparently, it can also happen before 2Gb is reached...On the few occasions I have had OOMs (2 or 3 actual OOM recognizable issues, 2 or 3 EventID 1000 errors) I have not seen VM to be at 2Gb...I have the 32 bit version of XP Pro, with 4Gb in (of which Windows actually gets to "see" 3.25Gb because of Windows' address space reservation requirements...)Andrew

Hello, as implied I am having OOM issues, my issues are with the 744 in FS9. I know it's not a PMDG problem and I understand the issue is with the 2gb limit in memory usage that 32bit applications allow. So I built a new PC with XP 64 bit and i still had a CTD flying KBFI to KORD (FS Dreamteam). It happened on the downwind leg overflying KORD. I found two AFCADs for the KORD scenery and deleted one, but before further testing I want to make sure my system is "clean" I installed Process Exlporer to take a detailed look at memory usage, but I am not sure which columns I should be paying attention to so I added Private Byte, Virtual Memory (VM), and Peak Working Set. After loading the PMDG 744 at KORD under Private Byte I have 818K, VM 1.2GB, and Peak Working Set 846K, are these good or bad, and which ones are important when trying to solve the OOM issue. Aslo I downloaded and ran this program to set the FS9 exe to largeaddressaware. (http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php) I recieved the successful message afterwards, however, I just noticed this when I ran FS9 and looked in the Windows Task Manager: "Flight Simulator *32", does this mean I have not successfully enabled FS9 to use more than 2 gigs of memory? I am also wondering why eventhough I have 4gigs of ram, when I run DXDIAG it shows me only having 3.264GB of RAM? And final question, should I go to DirectX 10?My Sys:Win XP Pro 64BitIntel Quad Core 6600 @ 2.454 GB of RAM 6400 DDR2 @ 800Mhz9800 GTX (512MB)Thnx for the help as usual!!!!
Oh gosh, this feels like singing already. I repeated these things so many times already.Anyway:In PE, you need only two columns, Virtual Size and Working Set.For checking if your fs9.exe is hi-mem enabled, you need CFF Explorer http://www.ntcore.com/exsuite.php - File Header / Click Here / App can handle >2GB... checkedYou need to be running 64bit OS (Vista or XP)If you have 4GB of phsyical RAM installed, it should show 4GB in Control Panel / System. If it doesn't, something's wrong. You might check in your BIOS if Memory Remap is activated. If it's not, that is the probable cause. (ASUS calls this function memory remapping, other boards may vary).Run your flight. You can use windowed, keep monitoring the VS. If it goes over 2GB, all is ok. If it goes over 4GB, it'll crash. If it stays well below 2GB, and you did everything before this, then your FS is not OOMing, and the reason is your scenery or AI.Good luck!!