Sign in to follow this  
bojote

BUG: Incorrect winds aloft in FSBuild

I guess a lot of users have reported this.the problem seems to be the multiple layers that are now reported in ASA vs the ones FSBuild expect.The reported FSBuild winds do closely match the lower wind aloft layers, so my guess is that FSBuild is ca;culating winds aloft for say, FL370 when it really corresponds to 7000ft can the developers check this?Thanks,

Hi,Where have a lot people reported this?In the ASA weather file we are reporting winds just as we have for ASv6.5 and ASX so nothing has changed there, I believe.It will be up to Earnie to update FSB if need be, but he has gone in a different programming direction so I don't know about this.Please direct me to the other posts to help me out!Thanks!

Please direct me to the other posts to help me out!Thanks!
How about I point out the exact bug?Create a FS2004 flight plan in FSBuild using this route:RPLL OLI2A OLIVA W16 AVMUP A461 NOMAN VHHXthen, open up ASA and import the created flight plan.in the ASA briefing screen you'll see the WAYPOINTS and the reported Wind alofts for each waypointNow, check the FSBuild Navlog. You will see 5 WxStations used for Winds Aloft calculations for the 10 waypoints in the routehowever, if you check the textual briefing in ASA there are only 3 (and not 5) WxStations used by the same 10 waypoints in the route!! the only weather station in common used by both FSBuild and ASA is RPLC which is very close to the origin airport (Manila)ASA is using FEWER stations than FSBuild to determine the winds aloft, the end result is inconsistent values for aloft winds in FSBuild.The bug is that ASA is creating a 'current_wx_snapshot' file for FSBuild that is useless!! FSBuild determines the winds aloft based on the closest station to the waypoint, but ASA does NOT uses the closest station to the waypoint but the ones that will keep the weather 'consistent' along the route and ASA will apply this data to the Weather engine inside the sim. My guess, is that this only happens in low density WxStation areasyou supply to FSBuild two files: a list of weather stations to use and the conditions reported by those stations. How do you expect FSBuild to report correct aloft winds along the route if ASA 'injects' the FS weather engine with data from other stations? Proposed solution? apply aloft winds based on the CLOSEST station to the waypoint and have ASA or FSUIPC smooth wind changes between stationsWhy AS6.5 does not have this problem? probably because the way you determined what weather to use in certain area was using the CLOSEST station to the waypoint, which is consistent with the way FSBuild will do its own calculations.Hope this helps..

Hi,I just want to confirm, that I have already posted this fact in this topic.I used the combination FSBuild and ASV6.5 a long time and winds aloft always did correspond between the two programs. With ASA and by only changing the location setting of the directory in the FBuild config file to the new snapshot directory the winds aloft in the ASA NavLog and the FSBuild NavLog are now totally different. In FSBuild you have the option to show the station, where the weather is taken from, instead of the ETA column. With ASV6.5 this perfectly fits but with the ASA snapshot it takes completely wrong stations as base for the NavLog. And therefore the winds aloft are wrong.So by the fact, that FSBuild has not changed there must be the difference in the snapshot file/directory and in the way how FSBuild finds the nearest weatherstation for the waypoints in the flightplan out of this data file.I use FS9.1, ASV6.5 (or ASA) in the lates version.And btw I VERY appreciate your support, which is outstanding in the flightsim scene!RgdsReinhard

Reinhard,FSBuild is doing the calculations correctly based on the 'current_wx_snapshot' file. The reason this so called 'bug' is hard to see is because (as Jim correctly stated) the format of the 'current_wx_snapshot' has not changed!!! what changed is the way weather is depicted in ASA!! so the winds you see in FSBuild are TOTALLY correct!!! YES they are correct :)ASA will not inject the same data (winds aloft) sent to FSBuild into the weather engine, and this is evident when you see the ASA brefing NavLog, which matches the wind aloft conditions you encounter along the route.The problem is that ASA determines the aloft winds from the Wx Stations used for weather interpolation rather than the WxStations closer to the specific waypoint where Aloft winds are reported. This is indeed a bug because Winds Aloft should not be 'interpolated' but rather 'smoothed out' between stations. Whats the point of exporting a 'current_wx_snapshot' file with aloft winds info for specfific waypoints if ASA is not using them?

Hi All,Please try with DWC off and see what happens.Thanks,

Hi,One additional information: The format of the wx_station_list.txt file HAS changed. See also my longer posting at the FSBuild forum. There are also problems with the regional settings (decimal point vs. comma) as ASA works here different compared to ASv6.I will give the DWC setting a try.RgdsReinhard

Hi,The current_weather_snapshot.txt file has not changed and this is what FSB reads.Yes, stations have been added, especially in FSX.Thanks,

Hi,The current_weather_snapshot.txt file has not changed and this is what FSB reads.Yes, stations have been added, especially in FSX.Thanks,
Hi Jim,disabling DWC did make ALL winds calculations diferent: FSBuild stays the same, The ASA Navlog stays the same, but the in-sim weather does not match FSBuild or ASA, so better leave DWC on.The problem is pretty obvious to me, I don't know why is so hard to understand and I agree, the current_weather_snapshot has not changed, and adding new Wx Stations is not the problem either, FSBuild Aloft winds are CORRECTLY reported for the corresponding stations(nearest), it is ASA which uses WxStations that do NOT correspond to the waypoint you are overflying. As I said, whats the point on exporting current_weather_snapshot to FSBuild if you do not depict the the aloft winds according to the stations you are overflying? it makes sense to keep clouds and visibility constant along the route, but aloft winds? DWC should smooth them out, but not interpolate them!

Hi,But that is what DWC does, it creates a global situation with all the data.Thanks,