Sign in to follow this  
Guest pete1_leeds

New Card for my I7 system

Guest pete1_leeds

First batch of new bits for my I7 build due to arrive this morningI7 920ASUS P6T Deluxe6GB Corsair DDR1600mhzWant to upgrade my existing 8600GT card, whats the best bang for buck at the mo, i dont use my pc for any 'gaming' except FS9 & FSX and dont want to waste money on a card thats over the top and not doing much under FS9/FSX. I note 8800Ultras are going at less than

Guest pete1_leeds

sorry running on my 19inch 1600x900x32but also wanna try hooking up to my 1920x1080i 42incherreading down the posts, 9800GTX+ seems to be a popular choice

What is your budget for it?BTW I would be wary about using that ASUS motherboard, I have had an ASUS board that fried my i7.

Guest Alphahawk3
What is your budget for it?BTW I would be wary about using that ASUS motherboard, I have had an ASUS board that fried my i7.
To Pete..I would get at least an 260 video card. I have the same M/B...Ram....and CPU as you. I have an 9600GT and it is the bottle neck of my system. I have done a lot of reading on this one and a 260 will handle all the 920 can throw at it. I have FTX YMML installed for FSX and while sitting on the runway the whole 512Meg of video ram is saturated. That is the only place that happens but the 920 is giving it more than it can handle there...imho.....plus it is just not a good card otherwise for the 920. Now Plainplane...you are the 2nd person I know who's memory was fried by the P6...I guess your's was an P6. The other guy did not upgrade his bios...he was 3 updates out....and according to Asus that was why....plus the upgrade bios was done to keep from frying more than 6 Gig.....he had 12 installed..Ouch. They replaced his board and I think the memory was a lifetime warranty. That scares me. Do you know what your boards problem was? Regards

Guest pete1_leeds

thanks for replies, sorry not had chance to get on here for a few days, seems as though the forums were down over the weekend.yeah i have decided to go with the GTX260, im looking to put in order in the next few days for an EVGA GTX260 Superclocked version. Im generally very impressed with the I7 i havent started dabbling with much overclocking yet as im waiting for the new GPU as its clear that the 8600GT is bottlenecking my system, though im still getting what many would class as excellent framerates..i forgot about upgrading the bios, i will do that tonight, been monitoring temps not had an issues as yet.. thanks for replies

Guest Alphahawk3
thanks for replies, sorry not had chance to get on here for a few days, seems as though the forums were down over the weekend.yeah i have decided to go with the GTX260, im looking to put in order in the next few days for an EVGA GTX260 Superclocked version. Im generally very impressed with the I7 i havent started dabbling with much overclocking yet as im waiting for the new GPU as its clear that the 8600GT is bottlenecking my system, though im still getting what many would class as excellent framerates..i forgot about upgrading the bios, i will do that tonight, been monitoring temps not had an issues as yet.. thanks for replies
Pete, When you get your rig going read the post in the hardware forum about Hyper Threading and using Affinity Mask....read my post as I did not use HT but the Afinity Mask made a world of difference for me...just some ideas for you with the i7. Regards

Guest pete1_leeds
Pete,When you get your rig going read the post in the hardware forum about Hyper Threading and using Affinity Mask....read my post as I did not use HT but the Afinity Mask made a world of difference for me...just some ideas for you with the i7.Regards
yes i have glanced at that thread prior, i will definately be giving it a go, just not been a priority until i get the new graphics card.. hopefully should have that by the weekend and will post some feedback for anyone else in similar situations.. im looking forward to some serious tinkering with the I7 over the next few weeks.. thanks for the valuable info on HT and will indeed post my findings on that thread alsoregards

Now Plainplane...you are the 2nd person I know who's memory was fried by the P6...I guess your's was an P6. The other guy did not upgrade his bios...he was 3 updates out....and according to Asus that was why....plus the upgrade bios was done to keep from frying more than 6 Gig.....he had 12 installed..Ouch. They replaced his board and I think the memory was a lifetime warranty. That scares me. Do you know what your boards problem was?
Negative. It was a Rampage II Extreme.The i7 itself was fried, and Intel replaced it under warranty. Also a cooling fan was fried as well, and Newegg replaced it.My RAM was intact.The problem was a known design flaw that existed with the original Rampage Extreme,
from someone who helped me troubleshoot.

Guest Alphahawk3
Negative. It was a Rampage II Extreme.The i7 itself was fried, and Intel replaced it under warranty. Also a cooling fan was fried as well, and Newegg replaced it.My RAM was intact.The problem was a known design flaw that existed with the original Rampage Extreme,
Did Intel replace an i7 that you had over clocked??? A build is better...cheaper...but when something goes wrong it can be a mess. I hope my stuff holds up.

Did Intel replace an i7 that you had over clocked??? A build is better...cheaper...but when something goes wrong it can be a mess. I hope my stuff holds up.
It wasn't overclocked. I don't overclock.

First batch of new bits for my I7 build due to arrive this morningI7 920ASUS P6T Deluxe6GB Corsair DDR1600mhzWant to upgrade my existing 8600GT card, whats the best bang for buck at the mo, i dont use my pc for any 'gaming' except FS9 & FSX and dont want to waste money on a card thats over the top and not doing much under FS9/FSX. I note 8800Ultras are going at less than

Guest pete1_leeds

just for the record in case anyone in a similar situation, I am VERY impressed with performance from the EVGA 260GTX Superclocked Edition, now getting locked 60fps out of most places except KLAX tested on my 1920x1080p 42inch tv no hit in framerates, FSX looks absolutely blinding at this resolution on a massive tv with GEX & REX installedFS9 smoother than a babys bottom at locked 60fps, max sliders, out of aerosofts heathrow with 100% traffic (WOAI) and the PMDG MD11Happy days, worth everypenny, cant wait for the next batch of I7 chips theres some serious mileage in the overclocking potential.. think im going to look at watercooling and take the 920 up to 4.5ghz shortly, though i am more than happy with what i got at the moment, rock solid 3.8ghz and nice temps

Guest pete1_leeds

even though its freezing here in the uk at the moment i didnt need to put my heating on in my room this weekend the GTX260 chucks some serious heat out of the exhaust thoughgreat performance on FS and cheap household heating, comes fully recommended!!

Guest Alphahawk3
even though its freezing here in the uk at the moment i didnt need to put my heating on in my room this weekend the GTX260 chucks some serious heat out of the exhaust thoughgreat performance on FS and cheap household heating, comes fully recommended!!
Pete, Glad to hear about the GTX 260. I am looking for an GPU myslef...my 9600GT is slowing me down. I too am happy with the 920. A word of caution to be on the lookout for the on-board sound on your Asus P6 M/B. There is an issue with it. I just put a sound card in and turned the HD audio off. You may or may not get the problem. It evidently does not show up in every board but it is a problem and is starting to show up in different forums. Asus tech support has been close for the Chinese new Year but I will be contacting them soon. Regards

If there is a desing flaw in this motherboard, why does mine work perfectly?