Sign in to follow this  

Rumor Mill: Microsoft bought out FSFlightMax?

I've read this on a couple of other forums, has anyone else heard the same thing? Are we looking at a FS2004 pre-release add-on that will be released now as freeware?FS2004 will have an all new dynamic weather engine but thus far no one has ever released a working weather radar for Flight Simulator until FSFlightMax. Did Redmond actually do something smart and reach out to a third part developer for software technology it did not have in-house?Who else would buy up a private company and then give away it's only product for free, hmmmmmm. The screenshots of the new FS2004 GPS system look at lot like FSFlightMax's too but maybe my imagination is running away from me. Then again, maybe not.Inquiring minds want to know!

Guest progrmr

I think this is certainly possible. If M$ had similar technology they developed in FS2004 and Sim Systems had it trademarked/copyrighted then M$ would have to buy them out to prevent any infingement lawsuits.Reality XP is the one getting shafted here - now that FlightMax and the Garmin are going to be made freeware.

Hummm....That is the type of link and information that make you goHummmmmmmmSee ya,Kathy.Born to Fly.

It's one scenario that would explain the freeware offering. MS wouldn't be affected at all by the current products being widely available. And MS certainly didn't write the GPS code for FS2004 themselves. But if that's the case, they will either have to dumbdown the Garmin 530 a bit or fix the remaining bugs. I've always thought that MS would release a less-than-fully-functional GPS. I guess we'll know for sure, one way or the other, in a few months.Trip

Guest sbdwag

Doesnt explain why MS did not buy out Reality XP's Garmin Line which is more functional.But does explain why Reality Xp is moving on and releaseing new gauge designs instead of putting their eggs in one basketDennis

Guest pagotan

Hi,As far as I know the company was not purchased only the three applications and their codes. What may give some credits to this rumor is the fact that SimSystems, which as I said still exists as an entity, cannot put any new flight simulation application on the market for the next 12 months. Who else than Microsoft would insist on such a clause. Any other potential owner would have limited this clause to a narrow field of the flight simulation market. But again this is only speculation we have not heard a word from the new owners.By the way Eric, can you point us to the other forums where you read about FSFlightMax and FSGarmin. Have a look at another thread here where we try to build something like an unofficial support forum. It would be interesting to know if other users are trying to do something similar somewhere else on planet web.Michael

Guest Milamber

Only the specific implementation could be copyrighted and not the concept of a weather radar in general. And Sim Systems does not own the trademark 'Garmin' and its pretty obvious that MS already obtained the right to use that trademark in its upcoming product. So MS would be safe from any lawsuits by Sim Systems. Doesn't mean that they didn't buy the products but it would be for another reason if they did.

Guest progrmr

eh, sounds reasonable. :)

Guest Pardue802

So, if they did buy FS Flight Max out, does this mean that we'll see working weather radar in Flight Sim? This isn't mentioned on the FS specs page.

Doubtfull its Microsoft.MS clearly had a deal in place for their Garmin GPS for some time. Sim systems indicated they were finally free to disclose this information. Which to me means they had only recently finalized the deal.Which rules out MS who early on had announced the Garmin unit would be part of CoF. Also its unlikely MS would have allowed the existing software to be made freeware. When has MS ever given a complete product away, except when trying to run a competitor out of business ?But check out this clause in the press release."The new owners are eager to enhance their existing product base by value adding the above products..."This indicates the new owner is an existing 3rd party vendor. I think the reason it is to be freeware is that the new owners don't want the FlightMax products. The new owners only want the technology to use in other future FlightSim add-ons.Regards.Ernie.

ea_avsim_sig.jpg

Guest tcable

Not to mention the NDA of the transaction.I also noticed that we'll get a more tdetailed KPAE in fs2004 as well.Tim

Hi,Give me one good reason why the developpers of FS2004 themselves need to buy technology which they already own/created?I mean if they are smart enough to develop FS2004, why can't they develop a weather radar/GPS? I'm wondering also who bought FSFlightMax, but it certainly won't be Microsoft.My 2 (well...make it 3) Euro centsEgbertBTW: I think that if MS would buy technology, they would buy a product/technology like Radar Contact.

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

Well, they don't create the scenery or the new FS2004 clouds - they buy both from outside parties. I don't see why it should be different with the GPS coding.Trip