Sign in to follow this  

Hi al. Does anyone know how to fix the shimmering/flickering of runway/taxiway intersections? dx10 is gorgeous but this is really annoying. I have a brand new 9800GT XXX for XFX and it copes really well with FSX but is this a card problem or dx10/fsx problem?

As far as i know, it's an FSX bug. There's nothing you can do about it. Better use DX9.Cheers.

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

As far as i know, it's an FSX bug. There's nothing you can do about it. Better use DX9.Cheers.
If you are using an NVIDIA card, download the newest drivers, I am not experiencing any of that on my GTX 280 OCX on DX10 mode...

Guest firehawk44
Hi al. Does anyone know how to fix the shimmering/flickering of runway/taxiway intersections? dx10 is gorgeous but this is really annoying. I have a brand new 9800GT XXX for XFX and it copes really well with FSX but is this a card problem or dx10/fsx problem?
According to Phil Taylor, the former lead developer over on the now defunct Microsoft Aces Development Team, this is a video card driver problem and he advised the video card makers of the issue. This was a year or so ago. I, plus many other forum members have sent many bug reports to Nvidia. You might go to their site and fill out a report too assuming you have an Nvidia card. I personally have sent 5 reports. Nvidia does not recognize this as an issue with their drivers, at least not in their Release Notes. ATI video card users report the same problem. The shimmering is a result of problems with z-buffering according to Microsoft. This was explained on the FS Insider website but I can no longer find the article. It does not occur at every airport but it is definitely prevalent at Friday's Harbor KFHR and many others. I am beginning to think Phil Taylor was wrong and his tech people gave him some wrong information and it is a problem with FSX. DX10 will give you better frame rates and some shadowing effects in the cockpit but that's about it. You state DX10 is "gorgeous" and I assume you are talking about the shadowing effects in the cockpit? I have the latest Nvidia drivers installed (181.22) and they did not fix the problem. (I have 2 GTX8800 cards installed in SLI config). I have read several reports on the AVSIM forums that the latest video cards do not fix the problem either but note one individual in this thread reports they were fixed. I think he is looking at airports where the problem does not exist. I doubt they will ever be fixed. I was hoping for a fix in FS11 but that's not going to happen anytime in the distant future.Best regards,Jim

Guest firehawk44
The shimmering is a result of problems with z-buffering according to Microsoft. This was explained on the FS Insider website but I can no longer find the article.
Okay. I found the article regarding z-buffering: http://www.fsinsider.com/tips/Pages/SA0002.aspx. As the last para suggests, this shimmering may be fixed by using the SDK.Best regards,Jim

This isn't just limited to Nvidia cards I get the same flickering on runways/taxiways and I use Ati. I guess given the current situation it might never get fixed. RojanTrojan

The problem is strange since it happens in some airports but in others it doesn't happen. Noticed that that afcad changed by Traffic X didn't have the problem, so I made a small experience, picked up Airport Design Editor and changed a problematic taxiway in LPPT from asphalt to concrete. The flickering went away on that taxiway. Maybe by only changing afcad the problem could be solved. Jos

Guest firehawk44
The problem is strange since it happens in some airports but in others it doesn't happen. Noticed that that afcad changed by Traffic X didn't have the problem, so I made a small experience, picked up Airport Design Editor and changed a problematic taxiway in LPPT from asphalt to concrete. The flickering went away on that taxiway. Maybe by only changing afcad the problem could be solved. Jos

Evidently it works if you did it. I never had any such luck as I have had 3 different AFCADs for Friday's Harbor and the flickering continues. Do you see the taxiway arrows when you turn them on to get to a gate? That's another problem with DX10 preview. Although DX10 provides much better performance, I've decided to keep it turned off.Jim
The mystery is even greater. You said that there are problems in Friday harbor, so I did a new afcad. The only change was every concrete changed to Bituminous. At least over here, no more flicker. Try it and say something.Jos

Something else to think about.With the rig below, if I turn screen reolution to max (1920x1440), and AA and AS to max (16), taxiway issues are gone for the first time ever for me. I don't know how much I will use these settings because there is a bit of a performance hit because I max scenery sliders also.Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

Guest firehawk44
The mystery is even greater. You said that there are problems in Friday harbor, so I did a new afcad. The only change was every concrete changed to Bituminous. At least over here, no more flicker. Try it and say something.Jos