Sign in to follow this  
Guest cloudtops

Runway in use

I need to know in advance,well before I contact ATC,which runway(s) is in use at the destination airport.Is there any website that gives this type of information?Thanks.Carlo Ferrando

Guest cloudtops

Carlo,There are no websites that could give you that information, as the active runway is selected by FS2002 based on surface wind direction/speed. I'm going to quote a previous thread (more specifically, a response of mine) in hopes that it will help you.THE QUESTION (in part):2) When planning for Descent, i have read that you should find out what runway you are landing at before you descend, but ATC only tell me what runway when close to the runway, is there a way to findout before im so close to the airport.RESPONSE (again, in part):2) There are a couple of ways to help yourself here. Depending on the airport, you may be able to tune its ATIS frequency (which will announce the active) through the ATC window - you probably already know that. However, you've likely also found that at many airports, you won't be able to select it in the ATC window until you're in too close to enter the pattern safely or sanely, especially with big iron workloads. You can be proactive, however. The ATIS frequency for your arrival airport is available by clicking on it in map view during the flight planning stage. Having that and many other enroute ATIS frequencies - to check barometric pressures in "real world" weather - will allow you to tune it manually on your COM2 radio. Once you've made it active, you can hear the COM2 radio (desired ATIS) by selecting both com channels as audible (you won't need to transmit on COM2 when it's tuned to ATIS). You can receive your destination airport's ATIS signal from some distance away, giving you plenty of time to adjust your flight plan/path if necessary. You can also download/purchase a flight navigation program to help you with these frequencies and many other tasks (FS Nav (payware), Nav 3.1 (freeware), etc.).http://forums.avsim.com/dcboard.php?az=sho...&topic_id=95270Kevin

Kevin,thank you for your prompt & exhausting reply.I'll try to implement your method.On another site I got a different reply to the same query,i.e.I am advised to get an up-to-date METAR(which I was already doing)and,depending on the wind's direction,apply the airport rule(for example Runway 18 if the wind is coming from 91 to 274 degs,etc.).It's all very well,but is there a website which provides this type of infos?I doubt it.My reason for wanting this is that I like to use as much as possible STARs on arrival but,using FSNavigator,I can only have the flight plan calculated to a point not too close to the airport,in the attept then to update it with the proper STAR(if available)and runaway,if only I can know the runway in use.The ATC information is available when too close to the airport and the aircraft normally cannot blend easily into the STAR.If you know some more clever method to do this...ThanksCarlo Ferrando

Guest cloudtops

Carlo,Assuming you're using real world weather, you can reposition the map available after downloading FS's real world weather to see what FS reports the wind speed/direction to be at your destination. Unless you're using a program that continually updates real weather information, you'll be able to apply the above mentioned "airport rule" to determine the runway in use while remembering that FS uses the longest runway available as determined by the .af* file. Then plug the appropriate STAR into your flightplan.In short, no, I don't know of a website that continually updates the active runway status of real world airports (if I read correctly that this is what you're asking).I recently had the pleasure of visiting the cockpit of a BeechJet 400A between flights, having made the acquaintance of its captain on the tarmac in Manassas, VA. The FO explained to me that he had just input three STARs as possibilities for their destination airport in Kansas City but had filed his FP to use the currently active runway there. As they received information enroute as to which runway was active, he would select the appropriate STAR and inform ATC enroute if that was a change from the FP he had filed. Bear in mind, though, that he was using a pointer pen and a leather-encased, hand-held computer that showed exact copies of the terminal procedures, approach plates, etc. Those 777-type avionics and flightplanning gear simply aren't available to most GA pilots, so I acknowledge that your question remains, to some extent, still unanswered - especially in regards to real life flightplanning. As I am by no means a flightsim expert or even officially pursuing a real world PPL yet, I'm hoping some of the true experts can help you with more info/solutions.Regards,Kevin

Do any of the Garmin type 530s or similar maintain SIDS and STARS in their libraries so you can load them into the GPS and then delete the waypoints you don't want? It saves inputing waypoint by waypoint.You gave me an idea though. I have the Reality-XP Apollo series FLA. If I have for my destination airport the possible STARS in the flight plan folder, I should be able to activate the appropriate STAR enroute. I do not think the FLA requires a departure airport.I also use Radar Contact but while some enroute changes are allowed, it does require loading a full plan. It also allows selecting the IAP and destination runway enroute. Time to reabsorp the manual again.Now, aren't STARS mostly selected by the longer arrival direction, not just the approach area direction and therefore may not be runway specific? I'll have to look at my KMSP TERP maps again.

mmm. interesting thread, ive read the whole thingand thats just what i was thinking. im no r/w pilot but if i recall ( i havent flown sids/stars in over a year) but i was thinking that most of them come to/from a general direction of departure and arrival, etc then dont they come to a certain waypoint that says vectors by atc?, in other words if you look at the dp's for say KLAX, select the one that takes you east/northeast if for example your going to KDEN, then look at the stars for KDEN coming from the westi dont know if this is official but from what i remember allways works for me, i used to fly the pic763ER for a loooong time back in the fs2000 daysciao!Brian S

Ciao!

Guest cloudtops

From sim-only pilot to sim-only pilot, I agree with you, Brian, having done a little research. I pulled out some slightly outdated real world charts a 777 captain/old friend had given to me for reference purposes. Sure enough, the STARs I looked up gave an arrival route approaching the airport from a general direction (West, South, etc.). At the end of each route, an intersection or other marker showed the point at which one could "EXPECT approach clearance or vectors to final approach course" from ATC. I'm pretty new at STARs, DPs, and other terminal procedures - just getting my feet wet.Sorry if I misled anyone, as I didn't intend to suggest that a radically different STAR should be selected simply because a runway reciprocal or perpendicular to the approach course is in use. From using navigation programs, I've seen that could add a ridiculous number of miles to your trip. Choosing to approach KJFK from KIAD using the CAMRN 3/SIE arrival, it looks to be roughly 230 nm. Using the KENNEBUNK 4, it's 650 nm, and PLYMM4/TUSKY is 900nm. I'll get a much better handle on this navigation stuff sooner or later from reading the forums, FS publications, and tutorials, from talking to RW pilots, and from practice, practice, practice.Can't get enough of this FS business,KevinP.S. Now I'm keen to meet that BeechJet cap'n again to have him explain a little more about what his FO was selecting in that whiz-bang computer. Maybe off-duty when he has the time over a pint. Nice guy.