Sign in to follow this  
des182001

FS9 MD-11 Taking the long way to FCP Heading

Hello once again,Ever since the January 9 update my MD-11 does something weird every once in awhile.Today I was departing from KATL on my way to TNCM. I was using RADAR contact with no departure procedures (ATC vectors me onto course). I was given clearance to take off from runway 8R and to fly heading 110 after passing 2000ft ASL; the following occured:1. Pressed "autoflight" and "prof" to arm the autothrottles and vertical profile; I then advanced the throttles to start my takeoff.2. Heard the click to denote takeoff thrust, V1, VR, V2 went by and I was in the air flying manually making sure the flight director was centered correctly.3. After passing 2000ft ASL I turned the aircraft right to heading 110 while maintaing the proper climb pitch.4. ATC directed me to climb to 15,000 and to turn to heading 100. At this time I pressed the "autoflight" button again to enage the auto pilot (vertical profile and FMS speed)5. I turned the heading knob on the FCP to "100" and pulled the knob, instead of making a simple 10 degree turn to the left the MD-11 flew 350 degrees to the right taking the long way to heading 100.This has happened off and on a few times at different airports and I noticed it started happening after I installed the update. I just want to know if anyone else has expereinced this and if it's a bug/something I'm doing wrong. Thanks.Dan Schultz

The AP will turn in the direction that the knob was turned. That's why there's the dotted arc on the display. It shows you the direction of the turn. It can get a little annoying at times, so to avoid what happened to you, I PUSH the knob first, to synch the heading, then select the desired heading and pull.

I didn't think about pushing it first. I'll give a try on my next flight. Thank You.Dan Schultz

The AP will turn in the direction that the knob was turned. That's why there's the dotted arc on the display. It shows you the direction of the turn. It can get a little annoying at times, so to avoid what happened to you, I PUSH the knob first, to synch the heading, then select the desired heading and pull.
That did it, thanks.Dan Schultz