Sign in to follow this  
PhilTaylor

Sad but true

Guest firehawk44
Hi Phil,Wow! This is major! I figured something like a small cut in the Aces team would happen but not the whole FS team! This is not good for the Flight Sim community. Thanks for the heads up!Jim Young

This is sad news indeed, not just because I enjoy the hobby. It seems even Microsoft subscribes to the mentality of "cut cut cut" to cope with the times. Sooner or later employers have to realize that they feed the cycle of recession by putting their employees, who in the end are consumers, out of work. I feel Microsoft should consider selling the team to an entity that specializes in entertainment software--there is still a market and always will be, I believe. Many of us are in our third decade of simming now and our children and grandchildren will pick up our passion and look to the "virtual skies"...Regards,John

This is Bad news, but not totally unexpected considering the bad economy. I Guess we will have to wait a lot longer for the next version.I feel horrible for those that got laid off. I hope Microsoft re-thinks this. Rob

I've long felt that MS have really outdone themselves with FSX. It represents a truly outstanding technical achievement, and I've suspected that, sooner or later, the corporate planners would reconsider the future of the franchise. After all, what do you do with yourself when you've achieved near perfection.I feel confident that FSX represents a major achievement for MS because, frankly, I've got a new dual graphics card rig with a Core i7 chip, and FXS looks great on it. I've got an amazing VC view of the richly populated FSX world streched over three widescreen monitors, and man! What a picture to behold!I remember not so long ago, when FSX was anounced in January '06, I was feeling kinda disappointed with FS9, and was really encouraged by the screenshots released by the studio. FSX was a great leap forward compared with previous versions of the sim, so I'm not surprised to hear that the planners are going to consolidate their gains and think about striving toward new horizons, whatever they may be.I hope they don't axe the upcoming Train Sim. I'm looking forward to seeing another view of the FSX world.

Mike Beckwith

That's crappy...What does this mean for the future of FS?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Sad to see Phil but not unexpected given the current economic conditions.You, Hal, Z, Singer, and the rest of the guys at the Studio have done an outstanding job on your outreach to developers and the community.Thanks for all of your efforts and let's hope there is a turnaround at some point in the future.Meantime, Team Eaglesoft will continue to develop for both FS9 and FSX Platforms as they are the only game in town at this point :(

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

That's crappy...What does this mean for the future of FS?
At least 4 options1. FS franchise goes into long term holding pattern (3-4 years for next version)2. MS concentrates on PC business and OS software ditches PC entertainment software to cut costs. Sells FS franchise3. EXP coming to shelf near you for 49.95 to recoup investment loses for MS 4. We all now eagerly await the next iteration of X-Plane since they're the only one left standing (ducks)

What does this mean for the future of FS?
Frankly, I doubt that MS will abandon the development of the sim entirely. I expect that the development cycle will simply slow to a more managable financial pace. I look at FSX every day, and I can't ignore the affection which senior management must feel towards it, it has such an inspiring technical quality. After all, it's a microcosm of the world in which we live, so I doubt any one of us, management included, can ignore the affinity we feel for the world we love so dearly when flying over it.

Mike Beckwith

i was very sad to hear that Aces is taking a majority of the cuts here, obviously these are tough times for the economy and for employment but let go of the team that created minesweeper and hearts and keep the team that created such a huge staple for Microsoft. Vsita flawed? keep that team but FS, cut them. :( obvously this is going to put FS11 on hold for who knows how long, maybe train sim as well, not that i was looking forward to TS but wanted to see the new archetecure that FS11 may inherit. Phil Taylor made the jump at a good time, hopefully Intel doesnt follow suit.

W O W!I feel numb.

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

I expect that the development cycle will simply slow to a more managable financial pace.
I don't think there will be any 'pace' to speak of if virtually the whole team was disbanded. MS may change their mind when better time return but then it may be hard to get the same talent back. Obviously nothing is impossible in long run but if the above news is true it would probably mean no more work on FS in the next say 5 years.I feel for the folks who lost their jobs - they are the ones who truly lost.