Sign in to follow this  
PhilTaylor

Sad but true

Hopefully they will be able to resume the development of FS11. Damn, that really sucks! I wish the best for all who lost their jobs today and pray that it will lead them to bigger and better things to come. I bet if MS didnt mess up so bad with Vista that the company would not be in as bad of shape they are today!

Jim Wenham

Guest ArtieLange
i was very sad to hear that Aces is taking a majority of the cuts here,
What ? They are laying off 5 THOUSAND people, how many of those work for Aces ?I'm as bummed as anybody, but Aces is a flea on an elephant in the scope of the number of people loosing jobs.

What ? They are laying off 5 THOUSAND people, how many of those work for Aces ?I'm as bummed as anybody, but Aces is a flea on an elephant in the scope of the number of people loosing jobs.
Of course you are right (I have at least three friends who are newish MS employees and I worry for them), however, ACES produces what is, by far, the most widely used (and in my opinion, best) of the desktop flight simulation software packages. This is going to set us ALL back significantly, ESPECIALLY those talented people who showed considerable grace under pressure in recent years.There is ample sadness to go around.

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

Guest ArtieLange
Of course you are right (I have at least three friends who are newish MS employees and I worry for them), however, ACES produces what is, by far, the most widely used (and in my opinion, best) of the desktop flight simulation software packages. This is going to set us ALL back significantly, ESPECIALLY those talented people who showed considerable grace under pressure in recent years.There is ample sadness to go around.
If they would just end the free soda, we could have FS11 http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/microso...asp?source=mypi

I dont' get it34,000 employees ... only 1400 cut today ... and ACES has major cuts? How can Microsoft eviscerate its franchise players? I hope this news is misreported.

Guest ArtieLange
I dont' get it34,000 employees ... only 1400 cut today ... and ACES has major cuts? How can Microsoft eviscerate its franchise players? I hope this news is misreported.
Catering: $12 millioniCup (Starbucks hot beverage program): $1 millionFood subsidy: $8 millionFree beverages: $20 millionCompostables: $1 million

I've been trying to contact people but this is just awful.They've basically ripped the heart out of ACES.

Guest Nick_N
I hope this news is misreported.
No, its not misreported.. it is true however they may sub out the work or reorganize but there is nothing at this point reported that FS11 or Trains is delayed and/or removed from MS developmentThat may change or be announced tomorrow or the next day.. who knowsbut until then we dont know know the status of future product and I dont think there should be any rumors about it until a confirmation on the products in question are defined from a official source

This is disgusting news. I am so disgusted with corporate America right now. I myself work for the largest producer of smokeless tobacco in the United States, UST (US Smokeless Tobacco Co) ie, Copenhagen/Skoal and we were just purchased by Altria/Phiip Morris ie Marlboro and am facing the possibility of being layed off. What really gets my goat is when these big companies face a downturn in the economy or sales, and go straight to job cuts, all the while the CEO'S, COO's, CFO's, Board Members, etc. continue to pull in outragous salaries and bonus themselves more money than most of us will ever make in a lifetime. Then they have the nerve to say they are so sorry and congratulate us on all the years of hard work, we hope you well. This stuff makes me SO mad.Now, on the side I am an active trader and I can see where these publically traded companies make these decisions to satisfy shareholders and investors, but at the same time my heart goes out to those that are cut at Microsoft who have families to fee, mortgages to pay pay, etc. Although I have never owned MS stock, even if I did as a shareholder and trader of other companies I never agree with these decisisions just to make me a quick buck on a trade. It's almost as if the fat cats at the top have no heart at all and treat employees like live stock. They have so much money these people, that they have no idea what they are doing to peoples lives, especially in an economy like this. For once, just once, I would love to see a CEO step up to that table and say that he/she is going to either take a pay cut, refuse the mulitmillion dollar bonus that way the company can skip the layoffs. I doubt that this will ever happen considering that these huge companies are loaded with greedy CEO's and boards, but it would be nice to see for a change that we are all on the same team and in it together.I hope Phil is safe over at Intel. They are under a lot of pressure as well and I wouldn't doubt if we see them taking cuts over there as well. Hard to believe that Steve Jobs and Apple are blowing there earings out of the water and I hope Steve recovers from his most recent temporary departure with whatever is aling him.Sorry for the rant and probable spelling errors, but I am really fed up with this stuff and was typing really fast.Regards :(

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I was just shocked when I saw the article for the first time.I think Microsoft is making a major mistake this time. Microsoft Flight Simulator is one of the most popular and profitable pieces of software in existence and the great producers worked too hard to make it happen to deserve this.I hope Microsoft changes their mind. FS is really developed as-is but it could definitely be made better. I don't want it to die out like Microsoft Train Simulator.Yet no matter what happens the communities and interests will stay strong. Long live Microsoft Flight Simulator.

Guest Alphahawk3

Not that it has anything to do with FSX but Electronic Arts made cuts today also. Cuts from products that while they were not to my liking....sold many more copies than MSFS. Well we can only wait and see.....and as the saying goes...hopefully..."When one door closes another one opens". Regards

Flightsim is like rock'n roll. Can't kill it. Right now, there are tons of new tracks opened right and left and something will come out of this. Disruption in business-as-usual often helps...

Reports are coming in from Washington State that MSFT have laid off 5% of employees but are planning on hiring 15%, so we'll see what develops...

Dean Mountford
Ultimate VFR

Guest bekfreak

Need for Speed is in the same situation as FS now. These are hard times now alas. :( We'll see what Microsoft does in the future of both Train Sim and FSXI. I guess they figure there's more money for them with what comes out of Xbox and OS sales.