Sign in to follow this  
PhilTaylor

Sad but true

Also if any ACES members are reading this thread and either want a vacation in the Philippines with free accomodation or even needing a place to stay while they regroup, my place is open, just PM me or email me....I might also be able to offer employment or at least contract work...

Dean Mountford
Ultimate VFR

I am still incredibly shocked... this is the biggest news in our community most likely ever. Many of us have assumed the existence the franchise to go onwards indefinately. The FSX was somewhat controversial, I hope the negativity surrounding it didn't assist the nail in the coffin. I so very very sad over this.

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

MS is after profits to impress Wall Street after the latest numbers came out today which were bad for them. Flight Simulator has a limited base to draw on for potential profits, while console gaming and MP3 provide exponetial base compared to FS. Sombody will probably buy the FS franchise and continue to run with it. I'm sure they had one of those meetings recently where the execs came out with the proclamation that they must focus on their core products (the OS and Office) and expand into areas where they will find increased profitability (consoles and music). Which is why the money losing Zune will go on (have to compete with Apple). ACES is a casuality of bean counters trimming the so called "fat" in MS. I'm sure there was a lot of "fat" trimmed in other divisions, other MS products curtailed or cut (at least 5000 jobs, probably more as MS "refocuses"). I am sorry that people lost their jobs but with consumers pulling back and not purchasing like they used to its the beginning of a vicious cycle. People cut back, buisiness cuts back with layoffs and consumers cut back further and business responds in kind with further layoffs so they can post decent numbers for the Street.

Four Fatal Words..."All Things Must Pass ..."From Hal Bryan's last blog entry:http://halbryan.spaces.live.com/?_c11_Blog...%26ayear%3d2009I continue to live in the hope that someday, MS will either sell or revive the franchise.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest christian

Hate to say it, but why would they fire the team and then sell? I think they would have sold the whole team to some 3rd party, that would have been more value anyway. I suspect they kept a core team around ESP and while ESP is alive MS is not going to sell anything... Well, hopefully we know what's really going on within the next few hours.

Guest Padesatka
Flightsim is like rock'n roll. Can't kill it. Right now, there are tons of new tracks opened right and left and something will come out of this. Disruption in business-as-usual often helps...
I'm inclined to agree, even as I commiserate with those who feel sidelined in changing times. If Microsoft forsakes ESP along with FS for very long, they will certainly be shooting themselves somewhere painful. And if they do, of course it's an opportunity for overdue competition.I'm a newcomer to this "hobby" but I realize that it has its rock stars. They need to get their own label, and the fans will eagerly follow. I'm ready to fully divert my own $500-per-annum flight-software expenditures -probably more, as things gets more exciting. Among the keenest core of flight simmers, there seems to be a sizeable pool of pilots who would pay it forward, revel, and rejoice in decorporatization, and cheer on lean entrepeneurial spirit, just like most consumers are going to do in the times ahead. US and probably world affinity for massive megacorporations is another big bubble ready to go "pop". Here's to poking and hoping.Flight Simulator is Dead! Long Live Flight Simulator!

Guest Ospif1
Need for Speed is in the same situation as FS now. These are hard times now alas. :( We'll see what Microsoft does in the future of both Train Sim and FSXI. I guess they figure there's more money for them with what comes out of Xbox and OS sales.
The NFS situation is a good thing though, franchise has become a bad joke.Sucks for us FS lovers, but in saying that I think you will find this was the safest and least obtrusive direction for MS to take at this time. FSX has the ability to last many years to come, its graphical potential is high, flying model is great and community support is second to none. Hopefully when this whole economic situation has resolved itself in say 4 years or so MS will be in a situation to once again get the franchise back on its feet.

very sad news.. the only reason I keep a high end windows pc in the house is for flight simulator... This was a very stupid move. Makes me glad I purchased that new macbook pro.Andrew

Shesh the forums are hard to get in to this morn. :( Until MS comes out with word that FS series has been put to bed its just speculation. MS could sit on FS for awhile to send it off to another developer, etc. It's kind of like what has happened with MSTS, although not with the bad economy wrinkle.

... that they must focus on their core products (the OS and Office) ...
I am only one, but in my case this back-fires on them. No new FS, no new PC, therefore no new MS operating-system, no new MS applications. I can live with my current PC easily another 5 years. It was only FS that drove the upgrade cycle for me.Maybe they will sell the title to Apple and then we will all run FS on windfall computers :( Sadly,Siggy

Siggy Schwarz

Guest Alphahawk3
I am only one, but in my case this back-fires on them. No new FS, no new PC, therefore no new MS operating-system, no new MS applications. I can live with my current PC easily another 5 years. It was only FS that drove the upgrade cycle for me.Maybe they will sell the title to Apple and then we will all run FS on windfall computers :( Sadly,Siggy
It really is one big circle. Electronic Arts gave their Black Box department the axe today...Madden and Need for Speed. Sony Entertainment cut some gaming today....console of course...but you are right. I don't need this i7 for the NET. While I am sure all games will not come to an end the Madden and Need for Speed crowd is far larger than MSFS...same with Quake...Crysis...I think I have them right. The point is spot on with what you say. The PC...my old P4 is more than capable of handling any task I want done or would want done for many years...except for gaming or simming. If you check out the game forums they all have their favorites that they play and like us simmers they upgrade with the next version as it needs more power. I realize FSX will still be pushing rigs made 3 years down the road but the software should have made the program that much better for those who do use it to upgrade. It was a good business model. Do you remember when we had to upgrade..not for MSFS but because of the term software bloat? The software coming out could not be run on our current PC's and so we upgraded a lot. Then we hit the level of speed with the CPU that it was not so fast an upgrade anymore. I know for years the cycle was 6 months or so and your machine was old. That has not been the case for several years now except for gaming. None of the major business in my small town here have gone to Vista....no need. MS Office is running fine on XP. Unless MS makes the new Office that has to have Win 7...and I am sure they will.... they are perfectly happy to stay with what they have. I don't aim to be doom and gloom as it will get worked out...but when? This whole thing is or could turn into a snowball effect going down hill. The makers of GPU's...CPU's...and so on. They will not stop but sure could have one heck of a slow down. Interesting times. Bring on the add-ons.

I am only one, but in my case this back-fires on them. No new FS, no new PC, therefore no new MS operating-system, no new MS applications. I can live with my current PC easily another 5 years. It was only FS that drove the upgrade cycle for me.Sadly,Siggy
Same here...I am completely stunned by this development. I do think that the FS franchise only contributed a very small part to the total result of MS, but there's also something called customer satisfaction and customer loyalty. And I do believe a large part of the long-time FS users are loyal to MS. We critisize them, but at the same time are loyal to them.I truelly hope MS picks it up again, because I'm not yet sure if it would be a good thing if another developer continues it. Look at what happened to ProPilot, FLY!, Flight Unlimited and ATP. They were all axed after 1 or 2 versions because they were not able to create the customer-base MS could count on with MSFS.Pffff.... A black day in the FS community... :( :( :(

Regards,

Frank van der Werff

Banner_FS2Crew_Line_Pilot.jpg