Sign in to follow this  
PhilTaylor

Sad but true

From CNET News "Microsoft cutting jobs, but not products"http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10148168-56.html

Although Microsoft is cutting jobs, the software maker apparently isn't axing any major products as part of its cost-cutting moves.On a conference call with analysts Thursday, though, CEO Steve Ballmer defended the company's decision to stick by all of its businesses, even as it looks to cut up to 5,000 jobs."I like our portfolio," Ballmer said on the conference call. "The board likes our portfolio," he said, before moving on to the next question.As for the scale of the job cuts, it was less than some analysts had been projecting and far less than those seen at other big-name firms. The Seattle Times' Brier Dudley summed it up well."Today's cuts aren't a radical transformation of Microsoft," he wrote. "It's a little inpatient liposuction, so the company will fit into the smaller pants it has to wear for a while."
Please read the full article at the link above...

Dean Mountford
Ultimate VFR

If I'm Michael Dell, or Intel ... I'd start counting the end of days. There is no other software out there that, for the last 10 years, has caused me to upgrade my hardware. It has ONLY been Microsoft Flight Simulator.
Incredibly poingnant and something I totally relate to. I too have planned every upgrade in the last 10-15 years AROUND releases of MSFS - no more. Sadly, while most people who know better realize the value that MSFS presents as a simulator, our collective cries amount to a gnat shouting into a hurricane.As others have stated, I woke up feeling empty and very very sad to see the immense collective talent of ACES vanish in a flash. This is giving me pause to reflect on just how important this hobby has been to me and realize the time and money I've poured into it.I don't think MS will admit to dropping the franchise as they want to give themselves the opportunity to revive it. Sadly, we've seen other companies sit on IP for years and eventually strangle the life out of the title. I NEVER EVER EVER thought Flight Simulator would die - I considered just as much a staple of the PC environment has Windows itselt is.They traded this in for? what? Zune? (give me a break, it is ALREADY a footnote) Search? Ditto, they are tilting at windmills if they think they are going to break into and dominate "search." No, what we have is a final signal that PC gaming is kaput in MS' eyes and the console is the way forward. Count me out of that - no thank you.Also, sadly, XPlane is just NOT a viable alternative in constrast to FSX. I agree with everyone that we can milk another 3-5 years out of FSX (look at the long legs of FS9).I regret the terrible disruption to the lives of those on the team, however, they possess so much talent that, in the long run, they will be snapped up. MS is letting this institutional knowledge go and, unless they attempt to hire some of these guys back (If they'll even go back), any new version may be substandard or overly "gamey" and we'll never really have our legacy/dynasty back.My love for flightsim and this hobby is making this news very hard to take - as ever, the future is uncertain.I am rooting for the ACES folks and strongly desire that they land on their feet in a situation where they can continue to use the skills they've developed.GOD! 25+ years of institutional knowledge GONE!

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

Like everyone here has stated, my prayers go out to everyone at Ace's affected by this.I don't think removal of the validation servers will happen, without the keys unlocked. As every valid user is legally licensed, and to do so would subject them to legal action for breach of contract. What I think we may lose is the sub functions like online weather, and maybe multiplayer through GameSpy.
Jeppesen may offer, a la Navigraph, a for-pay measure to keep the feed open.

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

Sad day indeed. Thoughts are with all the Aces crew. With the talents and abilities there, I have no doubt you guys will be back.

It wasn't that unexpected.It's sad indeed, let's hope it's temporary, but if it isn't, we still have fsX, wonderful add-ons, and if it's confirmed to be effectively the last version of FS on the "bright" side, in a few years we all have screaming machines to run in in it's full glory, maxed out, blasting fast, with wonderful add-ons.

From CNET News "Microsoft cutting jobs, but not products"http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10148168-56.htmlPlease read the full article at the link above...
You assume that our cherished Flight Simulator is a "major product." I think MSFS has cultural mindshare, but the world is not going to uproar over MSFS. We've been told, numerous times, that those of us who are part of the "community" consistute a low percentage of the overall number of customers who buy MSFS.Frankly, I've be HAPPY to continue as a customer if they "graduated" MSFS from an entertainment title to a "professional" title with the sort of pricetag that accompanies such a title. I would pay 10 times what I paid for FSX to see MSFS live.

Jeff Bea

I assumed nothing I posted a link to a CNET article, please don't make false statements or accusations like that, they're really not polite nor appreciated thank you!

Dean Mountford
Ultimate VFR

I wonder how long it will take MS to officially tell us, the paying customers, what is going on.

Just because they are laying off the US based developers doesn't necessarily mean that a new Flight Sim won't come out from MS. If they follow the pattern of many other US companies, they'll just outsource the jobs to India and save a bundle of money. I hear the next version is going to have really detailed elephant animations.

Guest aafuss

Some more articles regarding the closure:http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/44...Studio-Closurehttp://news.cnet.com/8301-10797_3-10...orsPicksArea.0Seems MS remains comitted to FS despite closing ACES Studios.Some more articles regarding the closure:http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/44...Studio-Closurehttp://news.cnet.com/8301-10797_3-10...orsPicksArea.0Seems MS remains comitted to FS despite closing ACES Studios.

Phil just posted this link http://www.futuregpu.org/2009/01/end-of-er...flight-sim.html over at this thread http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=241688

There is some word that a much smaller group ( as low as 20 people ) may get started in the future to do something with the FS name, but we will have to see what that means as there are no details yet. Some small ray of hope, perhaps.ESP may also continue outside of MGS, albeit at a much reduced scale. That also we will have to wait on details.

Dean Mountford
Ultimate VFR

This is terrible. I am deeply saddened. My sympathy is with each of the 5,000 workers that got laid off at MS.I hope, one day, that ACES will get reinstated. I just wanted to tell them that FSX and FS2004 were some of the finest products, and no matter how old they get, they will still be incredibly fun to play and to toy with. This is one of the finest franchises in gaming history...it won't be forgotten anytime soon.That said, I'm really anxious to hear the answer to these two questions:WILL ACES BE REINSTATED AND WILL THERE BE AN FS11 AND/OR TS2?andIS THERE A POSSIBILITY THAT ACES WILL BE REINSTATED?Again, sympathies to all.

Regards,

BoeingGuy

customer.jpg

ASUS P5E X38 | Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.2 GHz on 1600 MHz FSB (400x8) | 4 GB DDR2-800 RAM | EVGA GeForce 8800 GT Superclocked @ 679/979 | 320 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 RPM HD

Guest CaptMichael

I cant remember where I read it but arent they still keeping the ESP platform alive and its developers?Nevermind: its been posted above. Always too quick to jump.