Sign in to follow this  
strider

MD-11 tutorial1 completed...now the questions.

I've just completed the tutorial1 flight and everything worked as advertised. The PMDG MD-11 is, so far, a very well done simulation. Granted, I have not flown at night so I have yet to check out the lighting...a big problem for me with the PMDG 737's. The other thing I've noticed, and which is clearly stated in the documentation, is how completely alien to me the auto-flight controls are. Maybe I'm just used to Boeing's way, but, so far, I'm not a big fan of how MD does it...1. I find I have much less control over the various AP modes. Heck, I can't even find an AP button to turn it on or off! LOL!2. How do you fly a VOR radial? Granted, that's only available below 18,000 ft. but the manuals I've read are a bit unclear on this point. If you're below FL180, and want to fly a radial...how do you do that without invoking the FMS flightplan?3. The tutorial1 flight was informative...but I will never fly the MD-11 this way. I use FS9 ATC (with all it's faults) so my entire procedure will be different from that described in the tutorial1 flight. I will fly runway heading as an AP setting and follow vectors until I am cleared to resume my own navigation. I have no real idea how to enable "heading" mode only, how to then go back to the FMS FP once cleared to resume my own navigation, how to enable VNAV (or whatever MD call their equivalent) only.4. The manual mentions LSAS and CWS (Control Wheel Steering). What, exactly, does LSAS accomplish? How do you use the CWS in the MD-11? Does CWS work anything like a Boeing's...will it hold a pitch as well as a roll attitude? How do you enter CWS mode? Those questions all deal with the realities of how different the MD auto-flight system is integrated. As far as the PMDG aircraft, why oh why wasn't a 2D only model included? Having the ability to turn off the VC was a big plus in the 737's. Having the VC running, when you don't use it, is a big factor in the "stutters". When you taxi around a busy airport, like Heathrow, and turn, causing new scenery and AI textures to load, the VC causes lots of stutters because it's taking resources that would normally be used elsewhere. It also causes delays in terrain texture loading when airborne and going to different views (Left, Rear Left, etc.). Using the VC for 2D side views is terrible for those of us using 2D. I can definitely tell the difference between my PMDG 737's in 2D only mode, and the MD-11 without that option...way more texture loading delays in the MD-11 in the exact same situation. As a 2D only user, in anything larger than an acrobatic aircraft, I'm going to miss this im the MD-11. Hopefully the more detailed tutorial, which is upcoming, will answer many of my questions. As it is I'm going to try a FedEx flight, my way, and see if I can't figure it out.I know...RTFM. I am working on it...all 1559 pages of them! :( Victor Buck

1. I find I have much less control over the various AP modes. Heck, I can't even find an AP button to turn it on or off! LOL!2. How do you fly a VOR radial? Granted, that's only available below 18,000 ft. but the manuals I've read are a bit unclear on this point. If you're below FL180, and want to fly a radial...how do you do that without invoking the FMS flightplan?3. The tutorial1 flight was informative...but I will never fly the MD-11 this way. I use FS9 ATC (with all it's faults) so my entire procedure will be different from that described in the tutorial1 flight. I will fly runway heading as an AP setting and follow vectors until I am cleared to resume my own navigation. I have no real idea how to enable "heading" mode only, how to then go back to the FMS FP once cleared to resume my own navigation, how to enable VNAV (or whatever MD call their equivalent) only.4. The manual mentions LSAS and CWS (Control Wheel Steering). What, exactly, does LSAS accomplish? How do you use the CWS in the MD-11? Does CWS work anything like a Boeing's...will it hold a pitch as well as a roll attitude? How do you enter CWS mode?
1. You turn the AP on by clicking the large Autoflight button. You turn it off by pressing the little yellow button on the yoke (or by pressing Z on the keyboard): you have to do this twice (once to turn off the AP and once more to turn off the warning).2. Don't know (only know how to do this using the FMS).3. Heading mode is enabled by pushing or pulling the HDG knob. (Pushing holds the current heading and pulling sets the dialed heading). To go back to the FMS plan, press the NAV button underneath the HDG knob (you will see --- in the HDG window). The same goed for VNAV which is called PROF: push the knob to hold current alt, pull it to go to the dialed alt and press PROF underneath the ALT knob to get back the FMS profile.4. CWS (don't know about LSAS) is not a mode you can enter while flying: it's an airliner option. You can disable or enable it using the PMDG menu in FSX.

Guest cfgarrod

Normally you would fly a VOR radial by using the FMS.IN NAV RAD on the MCDU enter the ident and course, arm the VOR and intercept the radial in heading select/hold.If you really want to be old fashioned you could press the VOR mode select switch on the EIS control panel to get VOR mode displayed on the ND and again fly it in heading. You can only setup the desired VOR radial in the MCDU.Chris GThe LSAS has many functions and one of them is pitch hold.The other functions areStall and overspeed protectionPitch attitude limitingPitch attitude protectionAutomatic pitch trimPitch rate dampingPositive nose lowering during landingIt's all because the MD11's tailplane is way too small...Chris G

Guest cfgarrod

Roll control wheel steering is permanently engaged. You get it any time you are flying without autopilot.It's not normal that the aircraft is ever flown without LSAS, CWS and autothrottle.Chris G

Thanks for the answers...I'm starting to get a better understanding. I still have some question regarding the LSAS/CWS however. It sounds as if there is no REAL way to hand fly the aircraft if you have the "RCWS" option set in the PMDG menu? What I mean is...releasing the yoke to centered position will not cause the MD-11 to return to level flight...it will continue on at the roll and/or pitch you set using the yoke. To return to level flight you would have to apply an opposite amount of roll and/or pitch, to the yoke. Once at level flight you would then release the yoke and the aircraft would maintain. Am I even close? :( And, so I'm clear, from reading the manuals...RCWS does not maintain pitch, only roll. Is that correct? Some part of the LSAS would maintain pitch...and LSAS can't be turned off, ever? One last. I'm assuming that when climbing and I have a pitch set while "hand flying" and I release the yoke, this pitch will be maintained. As long as my airspeed remains the same, my vertical speed should remain the same. If my airspeed changes then so will my vertical speed, even though my actual pitch is being held by LSAS. Again...am I getting warm?? :( Thanks again! Victor Buck

Guest cfgarrod

Yes RCWS only maintains roll attitude in space.Similarly LSAS maintains pitch attitude in space, nothing to do with speed or vertical speed, they will vary.You put pressure on the yoke to place the aircraft where you want in space then let go, it will carry on in that attitude. It's useful for flying in the circuit as you know the aircraft isn't going to fall away from you, also for a non-precision approach using flight path vector.You can switch off all four LSAS channels on the overhead panel. If you knock off both autoflight latches on the glare panel you will have disabled roll CWS. You are now into test pilot territory...Chris G

Excellent...thanks guys. I'm off to try it as I would normally fly with FS9 ATC. Victor Buck

Well, a few questions. Things went fairly well flying with FS9 ATC. I did have an issue with the FMA showing "THRUST" instead of "PITCH" and climbing "locked in" at a VS of +800? I was in PROF mode so...don't know what I did to get into THRUST mode? Anywho...I clicked on the VS knob (which was blank), entered +2000, once the aircraft was climbing smartly I hit "PROF" and it acted as advertised in the tutorial1. Not sure what I fat-fingered there. The flight went well until I OOM'ed outside of KMEM at 6,000 feet heading for the ILS on ATC vectors. Found a few duplicate textures (see the latest OOM thread) and renamed. I'll try again...my OOM's have ALWAYS been scenery related, always because of duplicate textures and, once the problem is corrected, they never repeat. Hopefully that will hold true again. I'm trying to figure out how to capture and have AP fly the ILS/GS. Since I'm not using a STAR but following ATC direction, Tutorial1 isn't very helpful in this regard. I see where an ILS freq/heading can be entered in the MCDU at the NAV RAD page, and I entered it. This is as far I got before the OOM. I will be flying in HEADING mode as I approach the ILS. What do I have to do to enable capture and following of the ILS once I'm there? Will the aircraft still perform an autoland doing it this way? I'm looking forward to some more detailed tutorials, but until then I have not been able to find a concise procedure in the manuals for this. If I've missed it can you point me to it? Thanks! Victor Buck

Hey Victor,Just wanted to mention you don't need to have a STAR for the Aircraft to Autotune the ILS just select the runway, arm approach when you are within range and fly it like any other aircraft.Regarding ATC FS9 and FSX is very very poor I would suggest Vatsim as it is 1000 times better, however I know it's not for everyone so if you want to stick with default ATC there is a little trick you can use to enable you to fly SIDS and STARSWhenever ATC hands you off to another freq tune it but dont contact them, your flightplan will not be cancelled and once your out of the SID and direct to your first waypoint you can call them and they will act like nothing ever happened. From what I can remember you could fly your whole route like this and ATC will silently hand you over to the next freq until your ready to talk to someone.Rob

Rob Prest

Hey Victor,Just wanted to mention you don't need to have a STAR for the Aircraft to Autotune the ILS just select the runway, arm approach when you are within range and fly it like any other aircraft.Rob
Select the runway? Not trying to be dense, Rob, but...how is that done? Do you just not select a STAR, at the LAT REV page for the last waypoint and just select a runway? That would be easy! What, then, is the ILS entry area on the NAV RAD page for, or is this simply a way to manually enter the ILS instead of the auto tune method you mentioned? I am reading the FMS manual, as we speak but, it's hard to find "what I want to do" and translate that into a place to look. Thanks! Vic

Thing sounds a lot like an older mixed with newer Airbus, with a bit of md8x thrown in :) I've yet to see any fms equipped airplane that did not somehow use the same principles, if not methods of execution:Pilot flies the fms flies the a/p flies the airplane orPilot flies the a/p flies the airplane orPilot flies the airplaneplus maybe a bit of overlapping where applicable.Similarly pneumatics, hydraulics, electrical, fuel - all basically fulfilling the same functions, just a matter of learning the particular aircraft.MD11 looks and sounds wonderful (literally), but I have to face reality - just don't want it enough, and won't spend nearly a hundred bucks just to satisfy my curiosity. Have fun you guys, catch you when the NGX is delivered :(

Regards,

Mark

I'm not at home right now so hopefully someone else can confirm the runway selection. I use the NAVRAD page to manually tune the ILS on departure for a quick return for whatever reason and also when I am flying circuits with no flightplan loaded.Rob

Rob Prest

I'm not at home right now so hopefully someone else can confirm the runway selection. I use the NAVRAD page to manually tune the ILS on departure for a quick return for whatever reason and also when I am flying circuits with no flightplan loaded.Rob
It' s very well possible to select an approach procedure to a runway, and *insert it, without selecting a STAR as well.ICO an ILS / LOC approach it will autotune.Regards,Harry

Select the runway? Not trying to be dense, Rob, but...how is that done? Do you just not select a STAR, at the LAT REV page for the last waypoint and just select a runway? That would be easy! What, then, is the ILS entry area on the NAV RAD page for, or is this simply a way to manually enter the ILS instead of the auto tune method you mentioned? I am reading the FMS manual, as we speak but, it's hard to find "what I want to do" and translate that into a place to look. Thanks! Vic
You can indeed only choose a runway and skip the STAR and TRANS. Easy as that. Click on the LSK left of the last waypoint before the destination and only select a runway. You will end up with some waypoints right in front of the runway. The ILS freq will be entered automatically on the NAV RAD page. You can indeed enter a manual freq if you want to (font will be bigger in that case: small means it's automatic). So if you want to skip the FMS and flightplan part and follow FS ATC, just enter the ILS freq on the NAV RAD page, follow instructions and press APPR/LAND as soon as you are nearing the airfield at a nice angle.

You can indeed only choose a runway and skip the STAR and TRANS. Easy as that. Click on the LSK left of the last waypoint before the destination and only select a runway. You will end up with some waypoints right in front of the runway. The ILS freq will be entered automatically on the NAV RAD page. You can indeed enter a manual freq if you want to (font will be bigger in that case: small means it's automatic). So if you want to skip the FMS and flightplan part and follow FS ATC, just enter the ILS freq on the NAV RAD page, follow instructions and press APPR/LAND as soon as you are nearing the airfield at a nice angle.
Sweet! Thank you, Jeroen. Vic