Sign in to follow this  
bobbyjoh

Blurriies

Hi Bob try GEFORCE TWEAKER in the system tab at the bottom experimental Enable 256 burst I enabled this and found a distinct improvement. BLASTER 4200TI DET 43.45 DX9A. JOHN

Are you sure that works? It says:"GTU 3.2 is not compatible with the 29.60 (or newer) drivers."Maybe it works with the 43.45 drivers.. I really dunno!

John, Jerry is correct that tweaker file on the site says not for drivers newer than 29.60. Since I run 30.82's and many folks are at the new nVidia driver 4XXX drivers that utility won't work.On a different subject. How many folks have tried to run at 16 bit resolution to see if the texture issue remains at any resolution but at 16 bit instead of 32. What do you all think is the main differnce in runnin 16 vs. 32.When you do experience blurry ground textures do you also have problems with aircraft textures loading very slow or not at all.Comments appreciated.CheersBob

Guest kilo_sierra17

The dreaded blurries, I have managed to get my system tweaked and not have to many blurries, one thing that helped was changing some settings in the FS2002.cfg file [TERRAIN]TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=1.000000TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=19TERRAIN_TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=8TERRAIN_AUTOGEN_DENSITY=2TERRAIN_USE_GRADIENT_MAP=1TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES=1TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=40.000000TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=60.000000TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=3The most important part is this: TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=40.000000TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=60.000000I have experimented with different numbers and these have given me the best luck for the blurries, I have tried my FS on 16 BIT and the blurries were still there, My experience with blurries is after longers flights around 1+ hours, as I start my decent the textures take longer to get displayed correctly, I don't have any problems with Aircraft blurries, I run the 43.45 drivers with Direct X 9.0A

Guest PaulL01

>John, Jerry is correct that tweaker file on the site says not>for drivers newer than 29.60. Since I run 30.82's and many>folks are at the new nVidia driver 4XXX drivers that utility>won't work.>>On a different subject. How many folks have tried to run at>16 bit resolution to see if the texture issue remains at any>resolution but at 16 bit instead of 32. What do you all think>is the main differnce in runnin 16 vs. 32.>>When you do experience blurry ground textures do you also have>problems with aircraft textures loading very slow or not at>all.>>Comments appreciated.>>Cheers>>BobThe problem is really not the video card at all as the problem is directly related to the LOD detail of the mesh that the textures get drawn to, the whole process seems to be waiting for the CPU to compute the instructions for the mesh as you may notice even the autogen is delayed.The more you can relieve your CPU (or get a more powerful one) as John has pointed out the less this is a problem, and yes the memory subsystem contributes but mainly it is a cpu issue.

Poof,I find it hard to believe that a PIV 1.7ghz system is not capable of running FS2K2. I think this is pure hog wash. I don't have a low end system. This problem with Blurry textures is due to some factor that we are all searching for. As you know, MS does monitor these forums. This issue is just a puzzle to me, I am looking to anyone for advice, but this is just a dumb problem. I did not have these problems a month ago and now here comes the blurries. We need to all look for some root cause of the problem.Lets pull together to look for a solution. More to followCheersBob

Guest PaulL01

>Poof,>>I find it hard to believe that a PIV 1.7ghz system is not>capable of running FS2K2. I think this is pure hog wash. I>don't have a low end system. This problem with Blurry>textures is due to some factor that we are all searching for. >As you know, MS does monitor these forums. >>This issue is just a puzzle to me, I am looking to anyone for>advice, but this is just a dumb problem. I did not have these>problems a month ago and now here comes the blurries. We need>to all look for some root cause of the problem.>>Lets pull together to look for a solution. More to follow>>Cheers>>BobYou know Bob; I personally wouldn't give you an answer like that if I was guessing, but if you don't like the answer that

"The more powerful a CPU you have combined with a faster memory subsystem and the more you can dedicate all of your system to just run FS2k2 the less likely you are to encounter the dreaded blurries (well and of course the more you turn details down

Guest tascaso

Hi Paul,This is one dead ... smelly horse. I know that I love to learn the hard way! I think that you have done a spectacular job of documenting this problem and I thank you for all the help. It has reduced a lot furstration on my part and allowed me to enjoy MSFS for what it is. I like to fly and try to stay away from the tweaking...although many times that is what I end up doing. Anyway,FS2004 is right around the corner and I am sure that it will also be a challenge in its own way. This go around I may stick with FS2002 for another year. I do not think I have the time or energy to do all this tweaking.Well thats all from the land of no blurries.Tony Ascaso RN

Guest Funky D

I have a 2.53GHz machine and still get the blurries every now and then. Of course all of the 38m mesh probably doesn't help much! I usually just stick with slower planes...I still search the forum archives every now and then to look up the research you and others have contributed to the blurry texture issue. I think this would be a great addition to the new tips & tricks forum, even if it's just a list of links to past discussions.Thanks for all of that research Paul... I have one of your conclusive posts saved to my hard drive somewhere!Paul

Indeed, Bob... Paul is right on the money with his analysis here. I'm sure it is hard for you to believe that your P4 1.7 is the culprit, but there's a lot you'd probably not like to believe about a P4 pre-2.4GHz levels.John's comments are right on as well: there are ways to minimize the dyna-blurry problem with judicious use of FS features and system setup, thus relieving the CPU for texture updates. If you want and desire "standard" FS use (high mesh, lots of autogen, lots of AI, etc, etc), your cpu indeed becomes the culprit of your dyna-blurry problems.Its simply a fact - well researched by many here: Paul one of the most.Good luck,Elrond---MS Flight Simulator Tips and TricksEnthused AVSIM Peon - with minor Bucket and Mop duties (they only let me roam near the AVSIM toilets!)

Paul,I did not mean to sound like I did not believe you, I am just frustrated. My apology for such harsh words :-(My system used to run just perfect as John C stated in his post, and now all of a sudden the blurries came out of no where and nothing I do seems to get rid of them.Just for the sake of it, I am going to reset everything in FS to the default settings and make a flight right now from KDEN to KLAX and see if I can get it to make it without any blurries.I hate to say this, but this has been one bummer. As I said Paul, please excuse me while I rant and rave to myself. I really do appreciate all the help you guys have posted and I am trying everything.I will post again this evening when I land at KLAX.CheersBob

Hi Elrond,Belive me, I can respect what both Paul and John had to say. The entire issue as someone put it on this thread that we are beating an old horse to death. But it continrues to bother so many people including me of late. I have taken all my high mesh numbers down to below 30, AI is also down to 50%, Autogen is down to less than 30. Reading a post from my good buddy Mitch Robbins, I took a clue about something I am curious if you guys agree with. I reduced the resoltuion back down from 1280/1024/32 to 1024/768/32. When I used to run at this res I had no problems. Now I can up the refresh rate of my system from 85hz to 120hz. Sure makes reading this AVSIM forum a lot easier :-)It would help Elrond, if you have some good tips on this issue to put it into your tips section, I am sure I am not the only one going though the hell of Blurries.Thanks for all the support, I appreciate it.Bob

Just to make you all feel better, I've got a P4 3.06, 1Gb of RAM and a GeForce Ti4600 with 128Mb of RAM on it - yes, I get blurries all the time. ALL the time. It's not something that happenes every now and then. Every single flight. The only time textures are not blurred is when I "look" straight down.

Hi Mack,If you haven't already done so you really ought to experiment with the Texture Anisotropic and MipMapping LOD bias settings using RivaTuner. I have fiddled plus plus over the past few months but have always come back to the settings as detailed below. Yes, there is a bit of a frame rate hit with the higher Aniso settings but I only really notice an occasional dynamic blurry problem while flying more complex and fast a/c. This has been illustrated recently by the superb PSS Vulcan B2 XH558 - this is a wonderful creation with an ear boggling accurate sound set by Mike Hambly. Even then it doesn't usually take long for the textures to 'snap into focus'. You certainly should experience very little delay in texture updating on your system.My System Spec:Gigabyte GA-8IRXP MoBo (FSB 400Mhz)Intel Pentium 4 2.4GHz512MB Crucial PC2100 DDR Ram3D Blaster4 Ti4400 (Creative's 41.80 driver variants tweaked with RivaTuner LOD -0.1 and Anisotropy forced level 8)Sony Multiscan G200 17" Monitor (1280x960x32)SB Audigy Player (Drivers version 5.12.01.0253 Signed)Deskstar 120GXP UDMA100 HDs x 2 (60 and 40 Gig)CH Products USB Yoke, Pedals and FighterstickPlantronics Headset and Mike comboPlexWriter 40/12/40APioneer DVD-106SWindows XP Home Edition (SP1)DirectX 9.0AGP Aperture = 128MBNo overclocking of CPU or GPU3DMark 2001SE : 10464 ( with anisotropy and FSAA set to defaults) - this score appears to be about average for my spec.FS2002 Terrain settings in FS2002.cfg :(TERRAIN)TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=3.470000TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=19TERRAIN_TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=8TERRAIN_AUTOGEN_DENSITY=2TERRAIN_USE_GRADIENT_MAP=1TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES=1 ;) by those stalwarts like Paul and Elrond who really do know what they are talking about.Mike :-wave