Sign in to follow this  
bobbyjoh

Blurriies

Hey Bob,I can certainly sympathize with what you are seeing and trying to avoid - and the frustration you feel while doing so. In your case, its even worse when it hasn't been too much of a problem to date, but suddenly surfaces as a real one.I would more than love to help you fix it, but in this case, you're mostly asking the wrong person. I merely moderate the Tips and Tricks forum as all of the great information there will absolutely come from the entire community: its not "my section" at all... Its the communities. I simply strive to become its biggest cheerleader, so to speak :-). When I have tips of my own to add, I will indeed do so... But, I'm working more at the moment to encourage those with experience and their own tips to get in the habit of contributing them there, precisely because I don't want the resource to be seen as "mine" in the least - since it most certainly is not.Back to your dyna-blurry problem though: The two people I can think of as possibly the most experienced and whom you should seek out are Chris Wright and Paul above. Chris did some extensive testing back when the issue first surfaced and developed a few good "tricks" to help minimize the dyna-blurries. Paul fits that description perfectly as well. If you create another thread and specifically seek those two among others for their best advice (and encourage them to post any tips they have to the Tips and Tricks forum), I have no doubt either would be more than willing to help where they can. I'm sure there are other experienced people as well since those early days when the issue was heatedly discussed (such as John above) that have further ideas and probably their own tips to add.In the end however, the real "solution" to the problem became clear: more CPU power or a "fix" from Microsoft that never came (we're still hoping that CoF will include a user adjustable "terrain priority" slider to address the problem). If the dyna-blurries are so severe that even the few sacrifices in settings and the like don't alleviate them, the only solid solution I personally know of to date is a CPU upgrade. Hard to hear, I'm aware, but more than proven unfortunately.The reason for the dyna-blurries was a conscious decision by Microsoft to keep the sim fluid on all hardware - they were perfectly well aware of its consequences. In a nutshell, they basically allow terrain closer to the aircraft to use lower mips until the system can catch up and bump the textures through the mip range all the way up to the full size texture. They give precedence to other internal systems and leave the terrain update as a lower priority... This is most unlike any sim terrain system ever released that I'm aware of. FS2000 generally didn't have the dyna-blurry problem, but was stuttery on some (most?) systems because of it. The terrain almost always and properly showed only the correct mips at the correct distance from the aircraft. Fluidity was the price paid on some systems because of it. We generally believe that the choice between fluidity and terrain update (or a happy medium) should be left to the end user... But Microsoft seemed to have hard coded that decision (or didn't provide the information necessary to tweak the system to get that functionality).I'll watch for any threads you participate in over the next few days and try to add what I can to the discussion where appropriate. I sincerely wish the best of luck to you getting this particular problem licked. Sorry for the long post.Good luck,Elrond---MS Flight Simulator Tips and TricksEnthused AVSIM Peon - with minor Bucket and Mop duties (they only let me roam near the AVSIM toilets!)

Indeed, Mike as usual is right on the nose. The problem you describe sounds more like a filtering issue (and untweaked cfg file) than the dreaded dyna-blurries. While both might look the somewhat the same, they each have their own causes and solutions. Dyna-blurries should be easily detectable by seeing blurry textures directly below your aircraft (low resolution mips) - but pausing the system gives flight sim the time to snap them back into a crystal clear display. Your problem sounds different and will most likly be fixed by using Mike's advice above.Good luck,Elrond---MS Flight Simulator Tips and TricksEnthused AVSIM Peon - with minor Bucket and Mop duties (they only let me roam near the AVSIM toilets!)

Thanks Mike, I'll have to give those tweaks a try. I think there's another problem I'm forcing on myself, flying at 1600x1200@32bpp probably is not the best idea. I completely forgot I had the resolution set that high :)

hi Mack,i have a 3gig system as well along with a 9700. and i get the blurries All the time. the screen is Filled with them. unbelievable huh? happy flyin, fm

"i have a 3gig system as well along with a 9700. and i get the blurries All the time. the screen is Filled with them. unbelievable huh?"What's funny (and I know it is a false assumption based on the data in this thread) is that sometimes the slower the system, the fewer the blurries. Last night I cheated--ran a PHX-Cancun flight at 8X. That moves the aircraft over the Terrain at almost 4000mph. No dynamic blurries. Took 16X before I started to see them.This kind of goes back to what I noted previously--what role does AI and Autogen have to play in all this? And screen resolution, since I run at 800x600. Just for kicks, try turning both off, and see if things change. Also, pick a simple aircraft, like the MS default 737...Also, for whatever reason, I've noticed that sometimes blurries can be improved a great deal by setting the fps lock to unlimited, flying for a moment, then "relocking" it down to your preferred setting. I did this recently to post a shot showing my max fps, and I noticed since doing it, a benefit has been improved sharpness all the way around. Odd, but that's what I've seen.It's been largely said that cpu speed determines whether you'd have to cope with dynamic blurries. I believe that those with the fastest systems tend to bring it on themselves, in the sense that the better the cpu or graphics card, the higher the settings get cranked. Human nature. But I also feel that there are some elements in the sim that just lend themselves to more blurries, regardless of H/W quality.Elrond has the most thoughtful post on the whole subject. I feel as he does, that we were given "blurries" as an answer to FS2000's hesitation. But I still think some sacrifices can be made. And the Captain at the other forum has a good point. What blurries? FS approximates real life very well. Here's a few links at airliners.net to show what I mean:http://www.airliners.net/open.file/328560/M/http://www.airliners.net/open.file/303867/M/http://www.airliners.net/open.file/288492/M/http://www.airliners.net/open.file/256288/M/The last shots is one of the clearer shots I