Sign in to follow this  
HoratioWondersocks

MS has axed the entire ACES studio!

I have just posted this at Flightsim Com as it seems to be true I thought i would post here too....MS has axed the entire ACES studio!HelloI have just spotted this over at POSKY forums.If true(it does seem to be the case)Then this is a a black day for all of us in the simming community and for all those creative folks at ACES.Dammed politicians and bankers! even FS can't escape the global fallout those bungling buffoons who caused this worldwide financial crisis have created.SADAndy

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

I have just posted this at Flightsim Com as it seems to be true I thought i would post here too....MS has axed the entire ACES studio!HelloI have just spotted this over at POSKY forums.If true(it does seem to be the case)Then this is a a black day for all of us in the simming community and for all those creative folks at ACES.Dammed politicians and bankers! even FS can't escape the global fallout those bungling buffoons who caused this worldwide financial crisis have created.SADAndy
http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=241663

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

Not only ACES gone- but Canwest News Service reports this AM, that Electronic Arts is shutting down their Vancouver based Black Box studios- known for Skate & Need For Speed games. Additionally EA has announced that it would be consolidating or closing at least nine of its studios and publishing locations.-----------Ah well- thinking positively, I guess the loss of ACES means that my 5 yr old 'puter will now last indefinitely!Alex Reid

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------Such sad news...for the Flight Community...but even more so...for the employees that have lost their jobs! This action by M.S. certainly has added years to the useful life cycle of FS9. Without doubt!Mitch

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------Such sad news...--------- This action by M.S. certainly has added years to the useful life cycle of FS9. Without doubt!Mitch
----------Mitch- Right On! Clearly, the MS "Flight Sim Abandon Ship" decision means that FSX was not sufficiently profitable to continue further development. That conclusion is amply supported by the recent informal poll in the PMDG forum which asked -"What MSFS Version do you use?". This poll with 718 votes, showed a rough 2:1 ratio in favour of FS9.Perhaps now our community can fly into the future, with a clear direction for the add on developers. What a great opportunity to develop for a single FS9 platform that now has an assured LONG term future!!!!!!! Alex Reid

----------Mitch- Right On! Clearly, the MS "Flight Sim Abandon Ship" decision means that FSX was not sufficiently profitable to continue further development. That conclusion is amply supported by the recent informal poll in the PMDG forum which asked -"What MSFS Version do you use?". This poll with 718 votes, showed a rough 2:1 ratio in favour of FS9.Perhaps now our community can fly into the future, with a clear direction for the add on developers. What a great opportunity to develop for a single FS9 platform that now has an assured LONG term future!!!!!!! Alex ReidFrom past released pr fsx was the best selling title in the entire fs history.So I doubt it has to do with sales as much as bean counter mentality.In any case-a sad day.Agree with add on developers-a opportunity for perhaps a limited time.Been thru all the flight sim failures in the '90's and this one seems quite familiar.Time for all to band together ! No more fs9 vs. fsx-time to unite.

From past released pr fsx was the best selling title in the entire fs history.So I doubt it has to do with sales as much as bean counter mentality.In any case-a sad day.Agree with add on developers-a opportunity for perhaps a limited time.Been thru all the flight sim failures in the '90's and this one seems quite familiar.Time for all to band together ! No more fs9 vs. fsx-time to unite.
Best-Selling doesn't always equate to Most-Used. Even I bought it and I've only flown perhaps 10 hours in it since its release while logging over 100 in F9 in the same period. I know I've spent several hundred dollars in add-ons, very few of which are FSX compatible, so I ended up sticking to FS9. I'm still buying add-ons for FS9.

John Morgan

"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

Best-Selling doesn't always equate to Most-Used. Even I bought it and I've only flown perhaps 10 hours in it since its release while logging over 100 in F9 in the same period. I know I've spent several hundred dollars in add-ons, very few of which are FSX compatible, so I ended up sticking to FS9. I'm still buying add-ons for FS9.
Ok-then take the results-been a beta tester since fs2000.Was flying when you were a baby.Been around fs since 1981-and seen a lot ..Time not to do the fs9 vs. fsx bs....both are hurt and flight simulation will never be the same.

If it's lay off by email, that is so tacky.JimCYWG

Ok-then take the results-been a beta tester since fs2000.Was flying when you were a baby.Been around fs since 1981-and seen a lot ..Time not to do the fs9 vs. fsx bs....both are hurt and flight simulation will never be the same.
Actually, I think the point is that flight simulation will actually be the same...and for a good while.Now, if I'm a developer and I know that most of my users still use FS9, and that FSX will never be improved, and there is no sequel forthcoming, why spend the time and effort to migrate to a lower-performing platform?FSX has a very limited place in my simming...helicopters, and some light plane stuff, owing mostly to the scenery in rural areas. I am happy to have the PMDG MD-11 in FS9 now...I did buy the combo version and flew it in FSX, but the plague of stall-inducing wind shifts and jinking left-right S-turns made it so painful I put it away and waited for the FS9 release.Likewise, I think outfits like Flight1, who have abandoned new development for FS9 as a matter of policy, are now really gonna feel the pain of this cessation of "forward" progress by Microsoft. I compare Eaglesoft, still developing for FS9 (and for FSX), and Flight1...I just can't see buying an FSX-only Flight1 Mustang now, as FSX no longer represents movement towards the future, which was the ONLY reason I put up with its performance shortcomings the last 2+ years. An Eaglesoft Citation X for FS9? Probably. Would I buy a Mustang for FS9? Probably. FSX is now frozen where it is, just like FS9...but I feel strongly that FS9 is frozen in a much better place unless you're in a plane that spends most of its time down in the weeds.There's valid cause now to revisit the FS9 vs FSX debate. FSX no longer represents the future, but rather just a different, lower performance version of the present. That changes the landscape significantly. I think those developers that stuck with their customer base and continued supporting FS9 development will find their decisions to have been particularly prescient.RegardsBob ScottColonel, USAF (ret)ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VColorado Springs, CO

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Actually, I think the point is that flight simulation will actually be the same...and for a good while.Now, if I'm a developer and I know that most of my users still use FS9, and that FSX will never be improved, and there is no sequel forthcoming, why spend the time and effort to migrate to a lower-performing platform?FSX has a very limited place in my simming...helicopters, and some light plane stuff, owing mostly to the scenery in rural areas. I am happy to have the PMDG MD-11 in FS9 now...I did buy the combo version and flew it in FSX, but the plague of stall-inducing wind shifts and jinking left-right S-turns made it so painful I put it away and waited for the FS9 release.Likewise, I think outfits like Flight1, who have abandoned new development for FS9 as a matter of policy, are now really gonna feel the pain of this cessation of "forward" progress by Microsoft. I compare Eaglesoft, still developing for FS9 (and for FSX), and Flight1...I just can't see buying an FSX-only Flight1 Mustang now, as FSX no longer represents movement towards the future, which was the ONLY reason I put up with its performance shortcomings the last 2+ years. An Eaglesoft Citation X for FS9? Probably. Would I buy a Mustang for FS9? Probably. FSX is now frozen where it is, just like FS9...but I feel strongly that FS9 is frozen in a much better place unless you're in a plane that spends most of its time down in the weeds.There's valid cause now to revisit the FS9 vs FSX debate. FSX no longer represents the future, but rather just a different, lower performance version of the present. That changes the landscape significantly. I think those developers that stuck with their customer base and continued supporting FS9 development will find their decisions to have been particularly prescient.RegardsBob ScottColonel, USAF (ret)ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VColorado Springs, CO
Bob-I think considering these events and the horrible termination of the team it is more valuable now for all simmers to show their support for our hobby and stop churning up things that tend to divide.I don't think some of your suppositions are correct -there is information freely available on the net contradicting what you state but consider it will not change this outcome, either way. I'd rather show all of our support to the Aces team that are flight sim enthusiasts and are probably coming to these boards taking small comfort that at least simmers are supportive and hopefully united that this move was not a good thing for anyone.I don't think whether some prefer one to another sim has much bearing-the fact is we are now down to one sim from a highpoint in flight sim history of the 1990's when we had a minimum of 5 choices is not good for simmers-period.I also think you are dead wrong in your last statement. The first casualties of this act will be the hardware producers-having already sold most of their hardware and not having much of a future market they will be the first ones to move on-Ch products, Saitek etc. I have a hunch what will be the second...

I agree with you.I hope the Aces team resurfaces and are profitable. I only used FSX for a few months.FSX had far too many problems, fixes, workarounds etc., so I uninstalled it.I am still very happy with FS9's overall performance and available addons.I am still purchasing FS9 aircraft, hardware and addon software products.

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

Bob-I think considering these events and the horrible termination of the team it is more valuable now for all simmers to show their support for our hobby and stop churning up things that tend to divide.I don't think some of your suppositions are correct -there is information freely available on the net contradicting what you state but consider it will not change this outcome, either way. I'd rather show all of our support to the Aces team that are flight sim enthusiasts and are probably coming to these boards taking small comfort that at least simmers are supportive and hopefully united that this move was not a good thing for anyone.I don't think whether some prefer one to another sim has much bearing-the fact is we are now down to one sim from a highpoint in flight sim history of the 1990's when we had a minimum of 5 choices is not good for simmers-period.I also think you are dead wrong in your last statement. The first casualties of this act will be the hardware producers-having already sold most of their hardware and not having much of a future market they will be the first ones to move on-Ch products, Saitek etc. I have a hunch what will be the second...
Geof;First, I'm not happy to see ACES getting the corporate guillotine. It's a bad thing for everyone. But let's not pretend that M$ has provided a supportive, customer-oriented experience over the history of MSFS. I know people have a natural tendency to speak fondly of the dead, but the preponderance of M$ interaction with rank and file members of our community has been standoffish and unresponsive. Lately things have warmed a bit, but I attribute that more to the force of Phil Taylor's personality than anything M$ has done to improve things. There is a littany of problems that have carried over from version to version to version...a responsive outfit that cares about customer inputs wouldn't keep repeating the same gaffs, without lifting a finger to fix glaring errors like the transgenerational persistent wind shift problem.Showing support to the ACES team is a moot point...we didn't screw those people, the execs at Microshaft did that. But I won't pretend now that the support I got from M$ has been anything but the horribly dismal mess it has been. My two experiences with MSFS support were straight out of a prepared text by some language-challenged doofus that wouldn't know an aileron from his a**. I got canned answers that did not relate to the problem at hand or help at all. And there was no hint of any willingness to go beyond the text in the help checklist. You're telling me that I should treat an organization that came on to me as a mindless corporate behemoth that already had my money as a bunch of sensitive caring people now. If I need help, I come here to Avsim. What suppositions do you suggest are incorrect? I'm a bit baffled by the vague references on that. And why would Saitek and CH stop making joysticks? It's not like MSFS is the only program that uses 'em. I'd guess there are at least as many users of IL2 Sturmovik, Falcon 4.0, Lock-On, etc as there are of MSFS. And it's not like FS9 and FSX aren't still being sold.Anyway, it is what it is. I'm sorry to see the ACES team disbanded. That said, w/r/t the people there, layoffs and frequent job-to-job movement are a fact of life in the IT business and always have been. Anyone who could clear the quality bar enough to swing a job at Microshaft can land a job somewhere else.And I, too, am still buying FS9 add-ons. And an occasional FSX one, too, but that's probably going to stop.RegardsBob ScottColonel, USAF (ret)ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VColorado Springs, CO

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Bob-I boycotted the entire fs series for the decade of 1990-2000 so I have been dissatisfied with the franchise before-however I suspect my requirements may be different than yours.As far as the flight titles you mention-they are no longer with us either. Most who own them have bought the hardware. With no future new sales how long do you think the hardware manufactures will continue? Do you really think the future saitek/ch products will appear now?

"I compare Eaglesoft, still developing for FS9 (and for FSX)....."Bob, I've made it a point to post in public forums and in our own that Eaglesoft made the decison to build/support for both FS9 and FSX because we consider both to be viable.Everyone will eventually settle down and realize that flight sim enthusiast have two very nice platforms to enjoy even if MS decides to never bring FS to market again.Neither are perfect but they both have much to offer enthusiasts. Note I did not include "gamers" in this statement simply because they appear to be the most hysterical in response to the recent MS decision.While we did have plans to phase out FS9 development as FSNext approached we've reconsidered and will of course continue to develop/support both platforms.The good news for us at least, is that all of our current and future FSX aircraft are being built to the FSX/SP2/DX10 Standard which makes them viable if MS ever brings FSNext to market.Ya'll can debate the FS9 vs FSX arguements until the cows come home. We'll be busy building for and supporting FS9 and FSX :(

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png