Sign in to follow this  
SteveLewis

Upgrade Advice Please

I'm giving serious consideration to upgrading my rig for FSX/FS9. Currently, I'm getting 8-10 fps for both (FS9 is really loaded up & maxxed). Currently have a 2.8 Ghz P-IV with 2 Gh or PC2700 Ram. I built this rig 3-1/2 years ago and it's time and the parts are cheap to go to: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400, ASUS P5Q Pro MoBo, 2 G of OCZ Flex DDR2 1200 (PC2 9600) memory and a EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX+ Superclocked edition. I've already upgraded the power supply and have the proper fan. I plan on using the same hard drives for now (7200 rpm 240 G Western Digitals X 2).Is this the route to go? Opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.Steve LewisGretna, NE

I'd go for a motherboard other than ASUS's board. (Trust me, their board fried my first i7.)What is your budget for this upgrade?

I'd go for a motherboard other than ASUS's board. (Trust me, their board fried my first i7.)What is your budget for this upgrade?
Good point. After further review at Newegg.com, I've come up with a Gigabyte GA-EP45C mobo and 2 Gb of DDR3 1600 (PC12800) Ram to start with. Better ratings, same price.Budget is to keep under $600. I also need one SATA HD which is included in the $600.

Good choice of motherboard.Which RAM are you looking at now?Also do you have a hard drive in mind? My rig has a dedicated Velociraptor for FSX.

What do you mean with "their board fried my first i7"? I know lots of people with a P6T Deluxe motherboard (which is considered one of the best for I7) and a I7 and i never heard they had a problem with it.Wouldn't it be that you tried to overclock it without the proper knowledge and you fried the I7?

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

What do you mean with "their board fried my first i7"? I know lots of people with a P6T Deluxe motherboard (which is considered one of the best for I7) and a I7 and i never heard they had a problem with it.Wouldn't it be that you tried to overclock it without the proper knowledge and you fried the I7?
I had a Rampage II Extreme and it kept short circuiting upon cold boot. I don't overclock.

Good point. After further review at Newegg.com, I've come up with a Gigabyte GA-EP45C mobo and 2 Gb of DDR3 1600 (PC12800) Ram to start with. Better ratings, same price.Budget is to keep under $600. I also need one SATA HD which is included in the $600.
After looking at some of the comments on the i7 (which I had never heard of until now) I did a little research. For a few more bucks (`$250) I can get an i7 920 2.66 Ghz chip set with a Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R mobo along with 4 Ghz of DDR3 2000 Kingston. I'll have to save up for another month or so but I think this would be better. Anyone disagree?

After looking at some of the comments on the i7 (which I had never heard of until now) I did a little research. For a few more bucks (`$250) I can get an i7 920 2.66 Ghz chip set with a Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R mobo along with 4 Ghz of DDR3 2000 Kingston. I'll have to save up for another month or so but I think this would be better. Anyone disagree?
You would definitely have great improvement with that.However you would need Triple Channel DDR3 instead of Dual Channel DDR3, which sell in sets of 3GB or 6GB.

You would definitely have great improvement with that.However you would need Triple Channel DDR3 instead of Dual Channel DDR3, which sell in sets of 3GB or 6GB.
Good point. Missed that. Back to Newegg.com to check prices. Thanks