Sign in to follow this  
spilok

Will someone else "step up to the plate"?

Bill Gates should buy out the TS, ESP and FS franchises and set it up as a completely independent game studio. He could likely fund a five year development cycle out of less than a half-day's earnings on his portfolio... ;)Have two versions of FS and TS: Game and Professional, with the Pro version being an content-rich version of ESP. Sell it in the $100 to $200 price range.
I agree, but i doubt Bill Gates would do it. Maybe John Travolta would, though. :(

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

I'm afraid of what's happening right now, as it looks like we only have one flight sim left, X-Plane. If you ask me, X-Plane may be good, but i doubt there would be much more reason to innovate on it now that msfs is gone. I fear X-Plane turning into madden. The one thing I feel might work though would be if the former ACES people and laminar research teamed up. I feel it is possible to make something completely uber if they were to do that.

For me, X-Plane is not an option. It' s not even on the same league, if you are into VFR. I'd prefer to stay 5 more years with FSX (waiting for an hypotetical FS11) than turning to X-Plane. Long live FSX!

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

Computer gaming has backslid into nothingness.
I can't help thinking of all the billions of dollars invested in the frantic development of more powerfull CPUs, and cutting edge graphics cards, when I read this sort of thing.Think about how much processing power is required by applications such as MS Office to get it up to full throttle, or MYOB for that matter, or even the best of the digital video processing applications, and you'll have to conclude that the development of all that high end number crunching power is, for the most part, motivated by the gaming market.Computer gaming is close to the head of the queue when it comes to the priorities structuring the development of cutting edge digital technology.Mike.

Mike Beckwith

I agree. The only reason I have a high-end gaming rig and run MS Windows is for FS. No FS = no Windows. Nothing holding me back from Mac or Linux now.I wonder if MS really considered the impact to their desktop sales as a result? Maybe they don't care (what is 10,000 desktops out of hundreds of millions?)Best regards,Robin.

I agree. The only reason I have a high-end gaming rig and run MS Windows is for FS. No FS = no Windows. Nothing holding me back from Mac or Linux now.I wonder if MS really considered the impact to their desktop sales as a result? Maybe they don't care (what is 10,000 desktops out of hundreds of millions?)Best regards,Robin.
I have to agree also. I have upgraded every year or two since 1981 only for fs.Now after having unbearable problems with Vista and no future fs I may feel free for the first time since my Amiga in the 1980's to look elsewhere for computer/operating systems.

(what is 10,000 desktops out of hundreds of millions?)
nil. zilch.I am somewhat happy to give the upgrade carousel a rest. I won't upgrade this computer for a LOOOOOONG time (bought when FSX came out and it was the highest spec I could get at that time).Don't worry, they are committed to giving us a flight "game" in the future. :(

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

Guest PPSFA

There is hope. It all depends on MS's response, but I can tell you that feelers are out from another developer to pick up FS if MS is agreeable, and thats ALL I can say about it at this time. Just wanted to inject a bit of hope in place of all the 'doom and gloom' going on.

There is hope. It all depends on MS's response, but I can tell you that feelers are out from another developer to pick up FS if MS is agreeable, and thats ALL I can say about it at this time. Just wanted to inject a bit of hope in place of all the 'doom and gloom' going on.
I would bet more then one are...

Guest byoung

Steve Ballmer is going to have to live with the record of the longest developed piece of computer software in history, and his decision has ended this dynasty. I know its just about dollars and sense. And financial business models.I love the product, been involved in MSFS for a long time. But I think it was time for a complete overhaul. I think the FS community keep getting sold goods that were patched and based on old technology. With the game development tools now in place, I think some RAD could be done. RAD in this case 2-3 years. If you have seen some of the XBox and Sony PS3 games, the graphics of FSX don't even come close.Now a second thought.If I were Austin Meyer of X-Plane, I would raise some venture capital, create an XPUIPC (FSUIPC) interface to my product, and hire a couple of developers and take advantage of this opportunity!The sky's the limit!A truely sad time for the Flight Simulator industry.

Guest Pardue802
I would bet more then one are...
Seriously doubtful that Austin would be interested in integrating ANYTHING from the former Aces team (Austin has often arrogantly felt his own flight model/simulator was superior) with X-Plane, nor are the developers of the Aces studio likely to go to work on a simulation title, Laminar Research or otherwise, because of non-competes with Microsoft.What I am hopeful of is for an incumbent to step up and improve their software. X-Plane has become exponentially more popular with versions 8 and 9, especially now that there is an iPhone variant, and with that popularity we've seen huge improvements to scenery and quality. My hope is that the axing of MSFS will provide either X-Plane the opportunity to continue to improve its interface and features or a new, smaller, more nimble developer to come to the table with something truly interesting like Terminal Reality did with Fly! years ago.

Guest Alphahawk3
Seriously doubtful that Austin would be interested in integrating ANYTHING from the former Aces team (Austin has often arrogantly felt his own flight model/simulator was superior) with X-Plane, nor are the developers of the Aces studio likely to go to work on a simulation title, Laminar Research or otherwise, because of non-competes with Microsoft.What I am hopeful of is for an incumbent to step up and improve their software. X-Plane has become exponentially more popular with versions 8 and 9, especially now that there is an iPhone variant, and with that popularity we've seen huge improvements to scenery and quality. My hope is that the axing of MSFS will provide either X-Plane the opportunity to continue to improve its interface and features or a new, smaller, more nimble developer to come to the table with something truly interesting like Terminal Reality did with Fly! years ago.
I agree with you. I have had every version of FS since SubLogic. It got to be a tradition with me. A couple of them were never even tried out or were installed and removed very quickly. I suppose I flew the SubLogic versions more hours than any...killed lots of time in the Saudi desert with those....believe me...lots of hours...saved my sanity. I also bought several versions of X-Plane. Never did care for any of them. Not user friendly.....did not care too much for the graphics of the planes....nor the scenery....even the new stuff...but I am careful to say I will never use X-Plane. We have no clue as to what he has in mind for his product. I will not cut off my nose to spite my face. In the scheme of things MSFS is not even a pimple on Microsoft's rear end...don't want to tick anyone off I am as sad and upset as anyone. I said somewhere else...like a lot of you FS drove my upgrades for the last several years. My old P4 in the corner will do me just fine with MS Office and the NET for many years to come. It is the same for the Madden and Need for Speed folks also....like those games or not they have a huge following and now there future is up in the air also...as I am sure many other games will be. Have heard many folks say they would never go to a console if that is where FSX went....why not? If there was a key board....and there already is...and there is an HDD...add ons would be around as would flight controls....no I am not a fan of consoles but if that is where your hobby migrates to and is better off because of it why not? While I hope the FS series continues for the PC if it goes another route I am keeping my options open. I am not going to sit here and say what I will not do. For right now I am waiting for some new add ons for FSX...hoping the PNW from FTX is out soon.....and hope many others follow with lots more. Regards

Good luck with that (seriously). As Paul Lange posted on another forum: "We (the team at large) did ask about the possibility of buying the IP, but the answer was that MS believes in the IP and would not be willing to sell it."

Yeah, but he only has 85 billion dollars net worth :( RegardsMark

Bill Gates should buy out the TS, ESP and FS franchises and set it up as a completely independent game studio. He could likely fund a five year development cycle out of less than a half-day's earnings on his portfolio... ;)Have two versions of FS and TS: Game and Professional, with the Pro version being an content-rich version of ESP. Sell it in the $100 to $200 price range.

i9-13900K @ 5.8Ghz / Asus TUF 4090 OC / 32 GB DDR 5 / Corsair 1000W PS /  Pimax Crystal / 2 SATA SSD / 2TB M2 SSD/ DOF Reality H3 motion platform/ Win 11 

Guest ArtieLange
. It is the same for the Madden and Need for Speed folks also....like those games or not they have a huge following and now there future is up in the air also... Regards
Madden is the same game every year, in fact this is the first year I didn't buy it since the early 90's, EA ruins everything it touches.I think it points out the sad reality when a yearly best selling game like Madden has problems, games have become like movies, insanely expensive to make. Look at GTA4, $100 million to make that game, to me somebody else making a flight sim is nothing but a pipe dream. The harsh reality of flight sim is the market size is tiny, why would anybody sink millions into a flight sim title that will sell very few copies in the grand scheme of things. Just like movies, the cost to produce a title is so astronomicaly that we are left with mostly unispired, generic crap. I know there are exceptions, but given the current state of the world economy I don't see anybody making another flight sim for a long time, if ever.