Sign in to follow this  
sluggy

Ultimate Terrain - worth it?

Hi everybodyFor my FS9 'world', I already have ASV6.5, FE, GE Pro and FSGenesis mesh. Has anyone here got the Ultimate Terrain Alaska/Canada? Can't make my mind up whether to get this. If I do, I guess I'd have to get the USA one as well (y'know how it is ;) ). Anybody want to try to convince me? Cheers, SLuggy

Hi everybodyFor my FS9 'world', I already have ASV6.5, FE, GE Pro and FSGenesis mesh. Has anyone here got the Ultimate Terrain Alaska/Canada? Can't make my mind up whether to get this. If I do, I guess I'd have to get the USA one as well (y'know how it is ;) ). Anybody want to try to convince me? Cheers, SLuggy
I won't try to convince you; I'll just tell you that it is the perfect complement to what you have already. It adds all the roads, water, landclass, and coastlines that you need to have a nearly perfectly rendered view of northern north america. I've used the same combo for years and wouldn't be without it.DJ

I won't try to convince you; I'll just tell you that it is the perfect complement to what you have already. It adds all the roads, water, landclass, and coastlines that you need to have a nearly perfectly rendered view of northern north america. I've used the same combo for years and wouldn't be without it.DJ
I have UT AK/CAN, UT USA, UT Europe....I would not be without them, they complete change the vector information bringing it to match the real world. The writer above notes "water" what he means is all the rivers, streams and tidal areas are now mapped to match the real world. Major rivers go from a line in the default FS to a wide river like in real life, and missing rivers are now mapped.No hesitation, buy them all! for both FS9 and FSX.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

------------Sluggy- I have UT - both AK/Can and USA plus GE- all going full blast. They work well together and they are the means that allow me to turn down some of the FS scenery settings on my 5 yr old 'puter to save FPS. As far as I can tell UT has no impact on frame rate. Alex Reid

Guest cuizinier

hi,just to add my 2 cents now that the forum are back. UT series (I use the 3 of them) are awesome... But It also depends on what you are looking for. I you are looking for a large scale enhancement for flying high and fast on legs that are longer than 500 miles, UT will make you happy. (I am currently doing a LFPG-KMEM flight and love what I am seeing). But If you are looking for even more detailed scenery enhancement for low and slow flying it might make more sense to pick a smaller scale scenery (I recommend flight zones 01 or 02 and FSaddon misty fjords or glacier bay (freeware!) or tongass fjords)Be also aware that using UT increase a lot the virtual address space usage and thus It might require the 3G switch to be applied if you want to do long flight over UT covered landhope it helpscheersJulien

I can't imagine flying without Ultimate Terrain -- buy it! The reality factor it brings to FS9 is almost jaw dropping -- I have all of their products and wish they would do the rest of the world: Eastern Europe, Africa, China and Japan -- all places I've recently discovered in my simming.

It's on my must-have list.CheersBob ScottColonel, USAF (ret)ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VColorado Springs, CO

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Thanks everybody, I've decided to give it a go. Appreciate all your responses, and shall plan to take either the PMDG 747 or MD11 from Singapore to Anchorage to start exploring, GA style. I reckon the UT series might be my last FS buy for a while, I've got most of the nice GAs and procedural heavies already.Off topic (but it's my thread :( ), has anybody got the DA F70/100 or Maddog 2008 Pro? I have been interested in them, but after reading their support forums there seems to be just too many little bugs in each. I'd really like the F70/100, but it really took me a long time to get the DA Cheyenne working to the point it is now (had to replace the Trimble GPS with the RXP 530, and things just snowballed from there) and DA's support seems just a little flakey to me.Cheers again, SLuggy

Thanks everybody, I've decided to give it a go. Appreciate all your responses, and shall plan to take either the PMDG 747 or MD11 from Singapore to Anchorage to start exploring, GA style. I reckon the UT series might be my last FS buy for a while, I've got most of the nice GAs and procedural heavies already.Off topic (but it's my thread :( ), has anybody got the DA F70/100 or Maddog 2008 Pro? I have been interested in them, but after reading their support forums there seems to be just too many little bugs in each. I'd really like the F70/100, but it really took me a long time to get the DA Cheyenne working to the point it is now (had to replace the Trimble GPS with the RXP 530, and things just snowballed from there) and DA's support seems just a little flakey to me.Cheers again, SLuggy
Before splurging on UT, be mindful of its memory requirements. UT is very memory hungry and is known to contribute to OOMs (even with the latest patches). Seeing how you're planning to use it with the PMDG 747 and MD11, which are quite memory intensive, this could put you at a higher risk of an OOM event in your flights. As for the other question, I own both and haven't had any significant problems that I would consider as showstoppers. Having said that, I rarely fly those birds (as fewer and fewer airlines have them in their fleets), so there may be bugs I have not uncovered due to limited use.

Guest JollyRoger

Hi!I agree: The Ultimate Terrain series are absolute must-haves. BUT:Just one thing to point out: Lots of landmarks (i.e. ALL bridges, Alcatraz, statue of liberty.....) will disappear! You can still choose to keep 'em though but then they will be badly misplaced.There is - however - quite a good solution to solve this: QLRP4UTI took this from the UT dev's website:

Vendor/Developer: QuantumleapDeveloper Website: http://www.qlrp4ut.comPatch Link:No patch required - designed specifically for use with UTUltimate Terrain Compatibility:YesUT Products Affected: UT USA and UT Canada/AlaskaSpecial Instructions:QLRP4UT, a shareware companion product to Ultimate Terrain.The

Before splurging on UT, be mindful of its memory requirements. UT is very memory hungry and is known to contribute to OOMs (even with the latest patches). Seeing how you're planning to use it with the PMDG 747 and MD11, which are quite memory intensive, this could put you at a higher risk of an OOM event in your flights. As for the other question, I own both and haven't had any significant problems that I would consider as showstoppers. Having said that, I rarely fly those birds (as fewer and fewer airlines have them in their fleets), so there may be bugs I have not uncovered due to limited use.
I'll be GA'ing around Alaska and Canada, only using the PMDG birds to actually get there! I like to fly to wherever I'd like to spend some virtual time, and it'd probably take too long to get to Alaska from Singapore in an A36 or an Archer! Although the idea DOES have merit. :( One of the joys of GA for me is the ability to explore and check some tiny strips out that I'd miss at 35,000ft on the way to JFK...Cheers, SLuggy

Before splurging on UT, be mindful of its memory requirements. UT is very memory hungry and is known to contribute to OOMs (even with the latest patches). Seeing how you're planning to use it with the PMDG 747 and MD11, which are quite memory intensive, this could put you at a higher risk of an OOM event in your flights.
When I read that it raised a concern with me at first too since I wasn't familiar with the OPs system specs, but if you're running the PMDG with no problems I don't think adding UT will add much more stress on your system. But, sluggy -- really no worries here. Just make sure you buy UT through Flight1 -- they have a 30 day money back guarantee on on all of their download software. Can't beat that customer service policy with a stick!

I really don't do much GA flying in FS9 but I'm using UT USA, should I also get FE, GE Pro and FSGenesis or are these pretty much developed for GA flying only?

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

I really don't do much GA flying in FS9 but I'm using UT USA, should I also get FE, GE Pro and FSGenesis or are these pretty much developed for GA flying only?
I dont do ANY GA flying and I couldn't fly without UT and Flight Environment, but after quite a while I've actually UNinstalled GE Pro and FSGenesis. I've replaced GE Pro with what I started out with in FS9 Real Environment Pro (Freeware here at AVSIM) and some runway textures someone here recommended, and I replaced FSGenesis with just the default terrain mesh, mainly because I got annoyed at all the airports in the world being on the rediculous plateaus (not FSG's fault, a shortcoming inherent in FS9).Even though I don't do any GA flying, I have also added all of the Bird's Eye View packages which make all of my "heavy" take off and approaches absolutely gorgeous. BEV may no longer be available and can affect your framerate if you don't have a [rettu strong machine.