Sign in to follow this  
sluggy

Ultimate Terrain - worth it?

I really don't do much GA flying in FS9 but I'm using UT USA, should I also get FE, GE Pro and FSGenesis or are these pretty much developed for GA flying only?
FE does wonders for the clouds, water and a few other bits and pieces, and GE Pro changes the ground textures and tweaks the autogen a bit. If you have Active Sky GE Pro can read a flightplan and selects the appropriate ground and sky textures for the flight, eg if your flight is going to be cloudy GE Pro installs a dark set, and if it's sunny it'll install a lighter set. So for me both FE and GE Pro are must haves, even for flying the heavies. FSGenesis is a replacement mesh for most of the world (generated by the Space Shuttle radar IIRC), GA flying is much better (IMHO) with it, although when flying the heavies mountain ranges look so much better than the standard mesh so there's value for money there too.

FE does wonders for the clouds, water and a few other bits and pieces, and GE Pro changes the ground textures and tweaks the autogen a bit. If you have Active Sky GE Pro can read a flightplan and selects the appropriate ground and sky textures for the flight, eg if your flight is going to be cloudy GE Pro installs a dark set, and if it's sunny it'll install a lighter set. So for me both FE and GE Pro are must haves, even for flying the heavies. FSGenesis is a replacement mesh for most of the world (generated by the Space Shuttle radar IIRC), GA flying is much better (IMHO) with it, although when flying the heavies mountain ranges look so much better than the standard mesh so there's value for money there too.
Nice, thanks for the reply. I'm considering purchasing Active Sky Advanced so I'm not sure if I should be getting FE, I'll ask in Hifi's forums. Any idea which file from FSGenesis should I get? I have a pretty top notch PC specs but their website is a PIA to navigate in, their product page pretty much sucks.

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

sluggy, I got both FE and GEpro. Any idea how many sets of ground textures can be installed per each cloud cover?

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

sluggy, I got both FE and GEpro. Any idea how many sets of ground textures can be installed per each cloud cover?
I don't think there's any limit besides how much hard drive space you have. The more textures, the more variety you will have. I have 5 per type, and I'm happy with that, but as they say in the classics, 'Your milage may vary'.As an aside, I bought UT USA and Canada/Alaska, and the small amount of flying in Alaska I've done so far has already impressed me.Cheers, SLuggy