Sign in to follow this  
lmponte

PMDG MD-11 framerates

Hi all,First of all let me give you an overview of my system:Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.0 GHz4 GB DDR2 800 RAMGeForce 8800GTS 640 MBWell, with this system, I am getting about 12-14 fps on the VC of the PMDG MD-11 while parked at a gate in London Heathrow. Please consider that I am using the following settings:1280x1024x32 resolution4x AA, 8x AFScenery Complexity - DenseAutogen - SparseWater High 1.xNo Traffic (air, road or sea)Aircraft cast shadows on itself - offAircraft cast shadows on ground - offGround scenery shadows - offNo weatherWith everyone saying the MD-11 is not heavy on the frames, I find it a little strange that I can't seem to get over 15 fps in EGLL. I tried no autogen, and as I stated above, no traffic. In those conditions, I get about 60 fps in spot view! But only 15 in VC... is this normal or is there anything wrong?Take care and thanks for the help!(BTW, off-topic, I couldn't post here without a word about the current news about the ACES closure... very sad indeed, let's hope someone else steps up and picks up FS! My feelings are with those who lost their jobs at MS)

Guest SkullxBones

I'll run mine at EGLL and see what I get. I have the exact same system you do and I get better frames than that at other big airports like KLAX. The MD-11 is not great on frames, but it's good considering the level of detail. I think what they are saying is that it's better than some other complex aircraft.EDIT - Ok, you definitely must not have your FSX tweaked well. I just turned all my sliders down to the same settings you have, except I am running at a higher 1900x1200 res and 8xs AA, and my CPU is clocked to 3.4. At EGLL gate 302 after I set there for a few minutes to let things settle out, I am averaging in the mid to high 30's in VC looking straight ahead. I have the exact same CPU/RAM/Graphics card as you. I normally run 65% airline traffic and many of my sliders are higher than yours and I would still get at least 15 FPS there.

I'll run mine at EGLL and see what I get. I have the exact same system you do and I get better frames than that at other big airports like KLAX. The MD-11 is not great on frames, but it's good considering the level of detail. I think what they are saying is that it's better than some other complex aircraft.
It would be great if you could do that, it would help me get a nice comparison and find out if there's anything wrong here :)

Guest D17S

Da no, 10-15 sounds about right for 'out the window' with a quad at 3.0+ (Varies from 12-20 with view at 3.6). Can get 30+ looking down into the cockpit, but 30 out of a VC window (in a dense airport) is an optimistic FR under any circumstances with the MD.

Hi,Sounds about right ot me. I run 8x SLI AA which makes a hell of as differnce on GPU loading for me (I've got a GeForce 7950GX2 and so AA has no impact in this mode), but otherwise sounds right.I find as I get closer to buildings (within 300 yards or closer) that FPS drop. I get ~20 FPS.Once I'm out at the runway, I get ~25-30 FPS, and once I'm above ~ 4,000 ft I get 100+.I run NO AutoGen, and no AI traffic, but at 1600x1200x32.Specs:Intel Core2 Duo E6700 (2.66 GHz)4Gb DDR2 800 MHzIntel i975X Chipset1Gb GeForce 7950GX2Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit (no swap file)FSX SP2.I haven't tweaked FSX beyond what is available in the GUI.Best regards,Robin.

Guest SkullxBones
Da no, 10-15 sounds about right for 'out the window' with a quad at 3.0+ (Varies from 12-20 with view at 3.6). Can get 30+ looking down into the cockpit, but 30 out of a VC window (in a dense airport) is an optimistic FR under any circumstances with the MD.
He's not running any AI traffic, shadows or weather. 10-15 is low for this setup. I normally get that with lots of traffic and moderate scenery. Try it with his settings and see what you get.Scenery Complexity - DenseAutogen - SparseWater High 1.xNo Traffic (air, road or sea)Aircraft cast shadows on itself - offAircraft cast shadows on ground - offGround scenery shadows - offNo weather

... is this normal or is there anything wrong?
See what you get in exactly the same situation, but with the stock CRJ700 instead of the MD11.If you get significantly more than double the frame rate, then according to the Petraeus Index, there is a problem with your installation of the MD11. Otherwise, the problem (if any) lies elsewhere.

Petraeus

Ok everyone. Thanks for the help! I have fired up FSX again, having deleted fsx.cfg. Now, using the settings I described, I can get about 30 fps on VC, looking straight ahead, sitting on gate 302 in EGLL. Much better! Don't know what was causing it, but I was having half the frames I should!Now I bumped up my settings and I managed to get 20 fps with traffic!Thanks everyone, you've been very helpful :)

Guest Mower

You cannot stick land the MD11 with 15 FPS and that's a big problem since I am getting tired of autoland.