Sign in to follow this  
paulbakeman

How to Increase Autogen?

Hello All!! I was wondering if there is any way to increase the level of autogen buildings and trees beyond the "Extemely Dense" setting in FS9? Maybe a line in the FS9.cfg file somewhere, or is it even possible? Thanks!Paul

Guest ThrottleUp

Unfortunately this is not possible although I must say I would like it to be.I admit its actually hard to come back to FS9s sparse world after FSX and its superdense autogen! This is not a problem for the heavy-drivers who fly with max realism but for the others who trundle around low and slow its a big deal as autogen helps immersion a lot. And it is for this reason that I treat FSX as a GA sim and FS9 as the airliner sim :)

Unfortunately this is not possible although I must say I would like it to be.I admit its actually hard to come back to FS9s sparse world after FSX and its superdense autogen! This is not a problem for the heavy-drivers who fly with max realism but for the others who trundle around low and slow its a big deal as autogen helps immersion a lot. And it is for this reason that I treat FSX as a GA sim and FS9 as the airliner sim :)
I agree, and thanks for the responses, guys. In my book, FSX is a vastly superior platform for the "low and slow" flights, and I was just trying to find a way to get more autogen. Thanks again,Paul

Sad. I really wish there was a way to increase the density beyond the settings allowed in Flight Simulator. I stumbled upon this thread after searching for a solution.FSX has a great autogen engine but it comes at a big frame rate drop for me so unfortunately I can't enjoy FSX the way it's meant to be!Cheers,Karan

You can but there are a few things to note:First: to do it - find this line in your FS9.CFG file TERRAIN_AUTOGEN_DENSITY= and change the value of it to something between 10 and 15 (your default values are probably a number between 0 and 5).Play with this value till you find results you like. Please don't go crazy with this and try numbers like 20000 etc :) Try to stay between 10 and 20 and see if your system can handle it.Now for the notes on it. When you exit FS9 it will automatically change this parameter back to 5.Also if you have Ultimate Terrain - you should disable the night lighting in it as it takes away from autogen all on it's own anyways.Lastly if you don't want to keep editing your FS9.CFG file to change the TERRAIN_AUTOGEN_DENSITY= line back to 10 for example - then I suggest go to the directory where your FS9.CFG file is and create a second copy of it and in that copy put the higher value for TERRAIN_AUTOGEN_DENSITY= and save it.Then you need to create a batch file which you will use to run FS9 by copying your 'copy' of FS9.CFG to be the real one before it executes the FS9.EXE program.If anyone needs help with this I can paste what my batch file looks like when I get home as I'm still at work - leaving soon :)Note: I use Win 7 64 bit so my directory structure will be different from any of you using XP or other versions of Windows.Thanks.Also note that if you do any more manual tweaks to your CFG file then do it to your copy of it as it will be the one copied in as the main one before FS9.EXE runs.If you tweak the existing FS9.CFG file (under this new setup) then your 'copy' of the FS9.CFG file will over-write your changes to the main FS9.CFGBit confusing I know, but, I'll help anyone out that doesn't follow what I'm saying.Thanks.

Paul,I do follow what you're saying. Will give it a go tonight. If it works, I'd probably be the happiest simmer here! HahaAs for the batch file, could I get a copy as I'm also on Windows 7 x64 ?Cheers,Karan

Hi.I've been using the Autogen SDK to add trees & houses to various areas of photoreal ground and have had to place, for example, over a dozen overlapping vegetation rectangles on each area of forest or woodland in order to obtain an adequate density. The modification of fs9.cfg seems like a much more elegant way of increasing the number of trees in a forest.However, I've never written a batch file for any purpose and my knowledge of programming fits into a matchbox without taking the matches out. Paul, I'd be grateful if you posted yours so I can have a go too.Thanks very much.Dave

Paul,Can you post screen shots of what you see in your FS? I read this last night and tried a bunch of different numbers and didn't see any difference. I went as high as 500 before I stopped stopping and re-starting my FS.

Hello:FYI: We examined some questions about whether there may be options to work around FS9 autogen limitations here:http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20381&highlight=autogenHope this info might stimulate further exploration and discovery ! :( GaryGB

Just find te 300/600 limit in the exe or dll's and edit it with a hex editor? will that be a solution ?

Here's the batch file I created to do this.Note: 'username' should be replaced with your user name on your computer (Win 7 64 bit) and ALSO I've installed FS9 into C:\FS9 so you'd have to change this in the batch file to match where you installed FS9@echo offc:cd c:\cd users\'username'\appdata\roaming\microsoft\fs9copy /Y fs9.real fs9.cfgcd c:\fs9start /high fs9.exeyou don't need the /high in the last line - I tried it to see if it would start quicker and run better but it is not needed - unless perhaps you are only on a 32bit machine.You can save the bat file where ever you wish, just put a shortcut to it on your desktop instead of the default one pointing to fs9.exeThe fs9.real is the copy of fs9.cfg with the higher value for TEXTURE_AUTOGEN_DENSITY that is copied to be the current FS9.CFG fiel prior to FS9 being run.So give it a try and see if it helps you guys out. Let me know.Thanks.

Guest Coneman
You can but there are a few things to note:First: to do it - find this line in your FS9.CFG file TERRAIN_AUTOGEN_DENSITY= and change the value of it to something between 10 and 15 (your default values are probably a number between 0 and 5).Play with this value till you find results you like. Please don't go crazy with this and try numbers like 20000 etc :) Try to stay between 10 and 20 and see if your system can handle it.Now for the notes on it. When you exit FS9 it will automatically change this parameter back to 5.Also if you have Ultimate Terrain - you should disable the night lighting in it as it takes away from autogen all on it's own anyways.Lastly if you don't want to keep editing your FS9.CFG file to change the TERRAIN_AUTOGEN_DENSITY= line back to 10 for example - then I suggest go to the directory where your FS9.CFG file is and create a second copy of it and in that copy put the higher value for TERRAIN_AUTOGEN_DENSITY= and save it.Then you need to create a batch file which you will use to run FS9 by copying your 'copy' of FS9.CFG to be the real one before it executes the FS9.EXE program.If anyone needs help with this I can paste what my batch file looks like when I get home as I'm still at work - leaving soon :)Note: I use Win 7 64 bit so my directory structure will be different from any of you using XP or other versions of Windows.Thanks.Also note that if you do any more manual tweaks to your CFG file then do it to your copy of it as it will be the one copied in as the main one before FS9.EXE runs.If you tweak the existing FS9.CFG file (under this new setup) then your 'copy' of the FS9.CFG file will over-write your changes to the main FS9.CFGBit confusing I know, but, I'll help anyone out that doesn't follow what I'm saying.Thanks.
I have tried this before and it's a no go - at least for me anyway.

Is this another tweak that is supposed to work but it doesn't???I made two screenshots, one with 30 and one with 5 and couldn't see the difference, for the life of me.

10, 20, 50, 100, and 500 all look the same to me, hence the request for screens shots to see if I am seeing/doing something wrong.