Sign in to follow this  
Guest PilotBrad

More SimConnect errors, now on XP

Guest PilotBrad

Perhaps you've read my prior post about my woes with SimConnect on Vista. In summary, I was getting "SimConnect could not be located" error when attempting to load the Dreamfleet Dakota with RealityXP gauges. These errors then caused FSX to crash (CTD).Despite my best efforts and many recommended solutions, the problems persisted. In the end I gave up, and decided that I would install a new larger hard drive, create a partition, and install Windows XP, running it in a dual-boot configuration with the XP partition dedicated to FSX.I have spent the past two days setting it up, but I now have a dual-boot system with Vista on one partition and XP Home on another. Once it was up and running, I installed a few pieces of software, EasyBCD, .NET 2.0 and Adobe Acrobat reader. I then ran windows update and installed SP3 for XP and a few other MS updates including SP1 for .NET 2.0.The XP partition was working great, so this morning I set out to install FSX. After installing FSX, SP1 and SP2, I tested FSX and was able to fly the stock aircraft without issue. I then installed the DreamFleet Dakota, along with its RealityXP gauges and Garmin Trainer included in the Dakota install package.Confident that XP was the solution to my problems, I started FSX and selected the Dakota only to have FSX crash yet again!!! A check of the Event Viewer in XP lists several "Simconnect could not be found" errors. How can this be???? More simconnect errors on a clean (or relatively clean) XP install... I give up!I've verified that the simconnect files and folders are in fact installed in the Windows\Sxs folder, and a repair install of SP2 hasn't made a difference. I am not running any Anti-virus software, and I've turned off Windows Firewall. I am sorry to be so long winded here, but I as you can probably imagine I am growing increasingly frustruted. Could this possibly have anything to do with the fact that XP is installed on F:, while Vista is on C:? Perhaps FSX expects or requires that it be installed on C:.Any suggestions? Thank you!

Guest PilotBrad

Oh, one more thing...Because I've been uninstalling/reinstalling FSX so many times in an effort to fix all this, I burned through the alloted install attemps and MS now wants me to call them to activate FSX. I haven't done it yet, so I am currently running FSX in XP "unactivated". I don't know if this would have anything to do with the SimConnect errors.I haven't called simply because I wanted to get it working before I activated it, in case I need to uninstall/reinstall again.

A check of the Event Viewer in XP lists several "Simconnect could not be found" errors. How can this be????
Programs such as FSUIPC4 which dynamically link to SimConnect (in order to connect to the best available version) cannot prevent Windows from producing events in the System Error log when probing for the SimConnect connections. This is unavoidable -- an oversight in MS's designs for such libraries which I hope they will correct in Windows 7.I know it worries some folks, which is why there is a complete section on the matter in the FSUIPC4 User Guide -- it's an Appendix right at the back with an entry clearly shown in the Contents list.Of course it could be that the errors you are getting are not the same.RegardsPete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

Guest PilotBrad

Hi Pete,Thanks for your comment. I understand the errors themselves are nothing to too concerned with, but FSX is crashing when I get them.That being said, I've read your manual and employed many of the techniques you recommend in your support forums, but nothing seems to be helping.However, I do have a quick question for you. I saw a post in your forums where you said some have reported SinConnect problems caused by Activation issues (or something along those lines). As you can see above, I haven't "Activated" FSX yet, and I am wondering if that could possibly be related to my recent SimConnect errors on XP.If so, is there a sequence you recommend for installation and activation? In other words, should I (re)install FSX, activate it, then install SP1 and SP2? Or maybe FSX, SP1, SP2, then activate? Do you know if it matters?Thank you!!!

Thanks for your comment. I understand the errors themselves are nothing to too concerned with, but FSX is crashing when I get them.
The ones I mean would only occur right at the beginning, when SimConnect has just loaded FSUIPC, and they are never fatal, merely informative. If you are getting errors reported their about crashes then they are not the ones I meant.
However, I do have a quick question for you. I saw a post in your forums where you said some have reported SinConnect problems caused by Activation issues (or something along those lines).
No, nothing along those lines that I'm aware of. Are you mixing up "activation" with the user approval needed for new programs and modules? The was a SimConnect bug before SP2/Accel where if one already-approved DLL or EXE was already initialising its SimConnect operations whilst another was being loaded for execution but held up at the user prompt for approval, FSX could crash.
As you can see above, I haven't "Activated" FSX yet, and I am wondering if that could possibly be related to my recent SimConnect errors on XP.
I've really no experience of what a lack of activation does to the operation of FSX, I'm afraid. I thought it was merely the imposition of a time limit, but maybe there's more to it?
If so, is there a sequence you recommend for installation and activation? In other words, should I (re)install FSX, activate it, then install SP1 and SP2? Or maybe FSX, SP1, SP2, then activate? Do you know if it matters?
I've no idea, except I think I may have seen someone say you had to activate before adding any updates. However, that may have been in relation to Acceleration (which of course includes SP1 and SP2, and has its own activation to do too).RegardsPete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

Guest PilotBrad

Thanks Pete,By activation I meant software activation, like so many other MS products. Until it is "activated" it runs in limited functionality mode with flights limited to 30 minutes.I just finished reinstalling XP on the new partition yet again. I am going to install FSX with XP a little cleaner this time (no .NET). We will see how it goes. :|Thanks.

Guest PilotBrad

I got it working!!! Happy dance time!

Guest JeanLuc_
I got it working!!! Happy dance time!
Congratulations for having it working! now, it would be interesting to know what might have caused this from the first place though. It seems Vista has its share of issues with FSX. I remember having read Geoffa needing to reformat and reinstall the entire os+fsx because FSX was no longer activating, and it was stuck.

Guest PilotBrad

Jean-Luc,I am embarrased to admit that the problem may have been cause by my ignorance as to how the Flight1.com wrapper system works.Now I can't say what originally caused the simconnect errors to appear in Vista, but during my attempts at fixing it apparently I was reinstalling the Dakota and RXP gauges incorrectly. For all of my reinstalls I had been running the extracted installer .exe file that was created by the Flight1 wrapper when I originally purchased the Dakota. Late last night I was just about to call it quits, when it occured to me to rerun the original downloaded Flight1.com wrapper file, and select the "Reinstall" option. When I did a new installer was extracted to a folder on the HDD, and launched automatically. I allowed it to run installing both the Dakota and RXP files right on top of the old installs.I the started FSX, selected the Dakota and clicked "Fly Now". I was expecting FSX to CTD, but was astonished when it actually loaded! I've submitted a ticket to Flight1.com to ask them to clarify one or two things around the use of the extracted installers. I'll let you know what they have to say.The irony here is that my problem might not have been Vista afterall. :( So perhaps I didn't need this XP partition, but in the end it is probably better to be running in XP than Vista.Thank you for all your help, and I sincerely apologize for taking your time to solve what looks to be a problem of my own doing.