Sign in to follow this  
haskell

Altimeter off by 3000 feet

Flying into Turks & Caicos there was an error decoding the altimeter setting. Instead of 30.11 it set it as 00.30 inches. Of course that's impossible to set on an altimeter. Fortunately I was VFR and able to land, ignoring the altimeter. But the AP almost put me in the water... at 3,000 feet!

Eddie
KABQ

Hi,Very odd indeed. Not sure why that happened because the METAR is correct, but ASA processed it wrong.Thanks,Jim

Could it have anything to do with that being a QNH airport and the METAR showing Inches? Or does AS just read what's there and report based on its value? By the way, DWC smoothing seems to work MUCH better on the beta update. Not nearly the violent wind shifts. Some occasional cloud-popping as the global wx updates but no more crazy shears. At least not on this flight. Good job! Thanks, Eddie

Eddie
KABQ

I've had this happen to me twice in the past few days. Both occurred in South America in the Colombia/Peru area. The first time my aircraft descended several thousand feet to maintain the set Flight Level for an hour or two then returned to a more normal altitude, and the second time I had to climb several thousand feet. The second time affected my approach to Lima by being well above the maximum setting for the altimeter and leaving me about 3,000 feet too high. A quick refresh seemed to fix the problem though.Unfortunately I did not think to save the weather in either instance. If it happens again I'll make sure to save the weather and try refreshing it right away to see if that helps.

Guest ashwath

hi jim,i experienced this problem today. i was taking off from WIPP (indonesia) and ASA showed me this (see attached image). the station reports it to be advanced interpolation. WIPP is an airport than exists in FSX, then y does ASA show it as advanced interpolation??? and 22.33 inches (QNH 0756 mb) is impossible to set in my aircraft (PMDG 747-400), as it allows only 28.00 inches to be set as minimum. however, real world metar for this airport showed the QNH as 1008 at about the same time. WIPP 290800Z 30006KT 9999 NIL BKN015 30/23 Q1008 NSGwhat is wrong??? first time i am experiencing this.regards,

Hi All,Thanks for the reports.What I need to do is bug report this and the team will take a look.Thanks,