Sign in to follow this  
Guest SlotPilot

Flatten Problem

Guest SlotPilot

I've been trying to create an airport from scratch using various programs. I like AFCAD2 for placing runways, taxiways, etc., but it doesn't create flat or exclusion areas. Or at least not the version I have. I've tried FSSC. Though it will work and create the .bgl files they seem to not have any effect on FS9, the terrain where I'm using it does not "flatten". I notice in another part of this forum that FSSC is not recommended for use with FS9 anyway. I found various tutorials for manually writing the .bgl but it doesn't seem to work either. I've gotten it to raise the altitude of the terrain where I want the airport (though I specify 10 ft. it makes it 85.7ft.) but it is still not "flat". I've looked for Airport for Windows but can't find it, even tried the link supplied in this forum which takes me to a website that says it's Airport for Windows but only gives information about real airports and states "this Domain is for sale". Haven't tried Ground Maker yet, but quite frankly, after two weeks of work and searching I'm tired of programs that don't work.Can anyone tell me what program will actually work with FS2004(FS9) to create flatten, exclusion and surface areas? Freeware, shareware, payware, I don't care.SlotPilot

Hi there,I haven't used FS9 for awhile, but I recall using Ground2K for the airport area (the grass part). Basically, you created a polygon in Ground2K which you would assign an airport texture to and perhaps an altitude. At least it was something like that. There are tutorials around to help with Ground2K, and there is a forum at http://www.fsdeveloper.com/ which has some useful information.In FSX, I use AFX vice AFCAD2, and FSX KML to create the airport areas.- Martin

Sbuilder will do what you want. There are tutorials in the library on setting it up and using it.scott s..

Guest SlotPilot
Sbuilder will do what you want. There are tutorials in the library on setting it up and using it.scott s..
Except that everytime I load SBuild and try to run it it tells me, first:"You must wait until SBuilder copies some bitmaps! The next time SBuilder runs in this computer it will start faster!"and when I hit OK it immediately tells me:"Run-time error '76': Path not found"No one yet has been able to tell me how to correct this error. The Tutorials do not help.SlotPilot

Guest SlotPilot
Hi there,I haven't used FS9 for awhile, but I recall using Ground2K for the airport area (the grass part). Basically, you created a polygon in Ground2K which you would assign an airport texture to and perhaps an altitude. At least it was something like that. There are tutorials around to help with Ground2K, and there is a forum at http://www.fsdeveloper.com/ which has some useful information.In FSX, I use AFX vice AFCAD2, and FSX KML to create the airport areas.- Martin
As of yet I have not been able to find Ground2K. And the only Tutorials I have been able to find refer to using it for CFS not FS9. I suppose I could try downloading one of those tutorials and see if it would direct me to a place to download G2K. But so far I've only found downloads for G2K converters and scenery created with the program.SlotPilot

Guest ljacobs

The fastest way to create flatten areas is with afcad is to use the apron tool, make a large grass apron of the whole area you want your airport to be in and make sure you have "draw surface ticked" then just put your runways and parking aprons over on top of that grass apron. Then you will still need to use an exlude program to get rid of trees.

Guest savageagle

My 2 cents, for what it's worth. When i have designed a complete airport (using AFCAD) in FS2004/9 i have always used the "flatten" command in the scenery.cfg file. It has always worked the best for me and is easy for me to do with the level of knowledge i have on editing config files. when the scenery is completed and uploaded i always remove the flatten line from the scenery.cfg file as i was told you can only have (1) flatten line in the config file, maybe that isn't correct. Since then i have purchased Airport Fascilitator X for FS9 and FSX and use it exclusively and removed AFCAD from my system. I wanted to include this as a possible option to flattening an area for airport design. this "flatten" command does not remove objects like trees so an exclusion would be needed if there are any objects in the area to be used.

I have used Steve Greenwoods excellent (and very simple to use) FSTflatten utility for several years now.It can make flattens in virtually any shape you wish and the output is a bgl file so no flatten statement is required in the scenery.cfg file. It is in a small suite of utilities which you can download from here:http://home.earthlink.net/~smgreenwood/welcome.shtmlClick on RESOURCES on the top Right side of the page which displays.It will not make excludes - for that I have used ExcBuilder for several years also:http://library.avsim.net/search.php?Search...t&Go=SearchThese two programs are simple to use and should do what you wish. Hope that info is helpful. :(

Hello:Indeed as David states, Steve's FST-Flatten utility is under the "Resources" link on his site at:http://home.earthlink.net/~smgreenwood/resources-g.shtml"Utility to flatten terrain (see Tips for more info)" ...and the direct link is:http://home.earthlink.net/~smgreenwood/dow...stutilities.zipNOTE: For FS2002 and FS2004 (aka "FS8" and "FS9") output BGLs from FST-Flatten via the LWM and Area16N methods will work OK.FYI: When making scenery intended to work in both FS9 and FSX, one may wish to choose the LWM methods as they are still honored by the FSX engine, and although "some" SCASM scenery object display is still supported by FSX, SCASM Area16N flattens are not, thus many output functions of FSSC, Airport for Windows, SceneGenX, etc. will not work in the FSX environment.FSX only honors FST-Flatten's LWM output method, but these flatten polygons vary in precision with the terrain mesh LOD used in FS at run-timeFor very precise flatten polygons in FSX, one may use the CVX Vector output methods (with SHP files as input via FSX SDK SHP2VEC).I believe the flatten output BGLs used by SBuilderX (for FSX) and Airport Design Engine (aka "ADE9X") are FSX SDK SHP2VEC CVX vector types.PS: I'm not sure (perhaps Scott could clarify here) as to whether if one uses the FS9 version of SBuilder, flattens are Area16N output BGLs ? :( BTW: SlotPilot and others working in FS9 with airports may now wish to take advantage of the new FS2004 compatibility mode offered by Airport Design Engine (aka "ADE9X"... a freeware utility); see this forum for details and links:http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=95Hope this helps ! :( GaryGB

Guest luissa
I believe the flatten output BGLs used by SBuilderX (for FSX) and Airport Design Engine (aka "ADE9X") are FSX SDK SHP2VEC CVX vector types.PS: I'm not sure (perhaps Scott could clarify here) as to whether if one uses the FS9 version of SBuilder, flattens are Area16N output BGLs ? :( GaryGB
Hello,Flatten BGLs generated by SBuilderX are indeed FSX SDK SHP2VEC CVX vector types. The FS9 version of SBuilder uses LWM polygons for flattening.Best Regards, Luis

Should be added that Sbuilder LWM polys can be sloped. I don't believe Area16N-style allows for that.scott s..