Sign in to follow this  
FSVisions

Information requested

During some of my flights with the MD-11, I came by a notofication on the Navigation Display I can't find explained in the manuals.To clarify what I mean, I attached a screenshot:ND1.jpgIt is the Magenta Navigation Message on the left bottom corner. It says G/I. The only thing I can find is on page INST.30.6 of the manual, but the only modes explained are R NAV, IRS NAV and R/I NAV. There is no G/I NAV.What is the notification I have on the ND ?Thanks,

During some of my flights with the MD-11, I came by a notofication on the Navigation Display I can't find explained in the manuals.To clarify what I mean, I attached a screenshot:ND1.jpgIt is the Magenta Navigation Message on the left bottom corner. It says G/I. The only thing I can find is on page INST.30.6 of the manual, but the only modes explained are R NAV, IRS NAV and R/I NAV. There is no G/I NAV.What is the notification I have on the ND ?Thanks,
I would guess: GPS / IRS Navigation.....or?/ Leffe

Pretty sure that's it, yes - tell you that both the GPS and the inertial systems are feeding the FMS position information...

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

During some of my flights with the MD-11, I came by a notofication on the Navigation Display I can't find explained in the manuals.It is the Magenta Navigation Message on the left bottom corner. It says G/I. The only thing I can find is on page INST.30.6 of the manual, but the only modes explained are R NAV, IRS NAV and R/I NAV. There is no G/I NAV.What is the notification I have on the ND ?Thanks,

Guest cfgarrod

It means that you're overloading the CRT.You either have to reduce the range by pressing 'DECR' on the glareshield panel or deselect one or more of the extra functions, in your case waypoints.Normally one would fly with TCAS, DATA and Airfields selected. The others are'nt really necessary and clutter the screen.Chris G

It means that you're overloading the CRT.You either have to reduce the range by pressing 'DECR' on the glareshield panel or deselect one or more of the extra functions, in your case waypoints.Normally one would fly with TCAS, DATA and Airfields selected. The others are'nt really necessary and clutter the screen.Chris G
Declutter or Reduce Range was not the message I was refering too, I was refering to the message G/I NAV, dispalyed in Magenta below the declutter message.
Thanks, I was assuming to this, but as I could not find it in the manuals I was looking for confirmation. Thanks to tabs too

Guest cfgarrod

Sorry, here is the info:G/I NAV GPS and IRS data used for position calculationR/I NAV Radio and IRS data...IRS NAV IRS data only...R NAV Radio data (normally DME/DME) only...No NAV Aircraft position is not calculatedChris G

Thanks Chris, this is the information I was looking for. May I ask where did you find this information? Did I miss this info in the manuals?

Guest cfgarrod

I used to fly the MD11 for an airline in Europe that folded in 2001, I still have some of the original aircraft manuals. Chris G

The only thing I can find is on page INST.30.6 of the manual, but the only modes explained are R NAV, IRS NAV and R/I NAV. There is no G/I NAV.
I think they forgot to add G/I NAV to the manual because this is an option: you can enable or disable GPS in the PMDG Options menu > Airline options - Equipment. This option is on by default but maybe in real life this option was not included unless by request and they modelled the manual after one that came with a plane that did not have a GPS installed. Or something like that. :( I suppose that when you disable the GPS/GNS Equipped option, you will see R/I NAV on the ND.