Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

Rudder control

Is there a key assignment that snaps the rudder back to the neutral position? I keep swinging the plane from left to right and back again!

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

There is an entry in the Controls/Assignments/Control surfaces dialogue for assigning a key to Rudder trim (centre), but it is unassigned by default. You'll have to go in there and assign a key.Alternatively you could hit the Auto Rudder checkbox in the Realism dialogue, which is handy in some situations, but kind of a waste if you've spent a lot of cash on rudder pedals.

Mike Beckwith

So, you're saying that adding an assignment for "Rudder trim (centre)" will enable me to "snap" the rudder back to the central position with a single key press?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

So, you're saying that adding an assignment for "Rudder trim (centre)" will enable me to "snap" the rudder back to the central position with a single key press?
Sorry Christopher, I'm just trying to be helpful. I'm sure you have already realised that there is no key you can press to "snap" the rudder back to the neutral position which, I believe, leaves you with 3 alternatives:1) Assign a key to centre rudder trim, and wait for drag to centre your rudder.2) Hit the Num 5 key which is supposed to centre all control surfaces, but I've never had much luck with activating this key.3) Enable Autorudder in the Realism dialogue which I find is real handy when driving big jets, but kinda takes the fun out of flying smaller birds.I'm not saying that centreing rudder trim will snap your rudder back to the central position. But I am saying that your options are limited with regard to answering this question, that you are no doubt aware of your limited options, and that I am merely trying to help you come to terms with this difficult realisation.

Mike Beckwith

I already have Auto Rudder enabled, but I'm not sure what it's supposed to do.....Maybe I'm looking at this from the wrong angle. What I want is to be able to turn the plane when on the ground, without veering from one side to the other. Is the rudder used to turn planes when on the ground, or is there a separate command for the nosewheel?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

What I want is to be able to turn the plane when on the ground, without veering from one side to the other. Is the rudder used to turn planes when on the ground, or is there a separate command for the nosewheel?
As far as I understand the situation nose wheel steering on the ground is an action which is independent of the the behaviour of the rudder through an airstream. I'm only going on my observation of the nose wheel and rudder from spot view while on the ground. Steering on the ground requires no key press to activate it, simply use your rudder control to steer.If you're having trouble steering on the ground then I don't think it's a rudder problem. I've often been disappointed with the ground steering of a lot of birds; it's poorly modelled and aggravatingly sloppy. I don't know of any way to fix this kind of behaviour, but calibrating your controller, and setting suitable null zones may help.

Mike Beckwith

I control the rudder using the keyboard (when I am on the ground), because my joystick (a CH Flightstick Pro USB) doesn't have that special "twist" feature. Actually, I don't use the rudder at all when in flight.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I control the rudder using the keyboard ...
Ah ha! That explains it! Yes, I recall hours of frustration trying to steer a bird with those useless keys before I got a joystick with a twist action to control both rudder and steering. Steering a bird on the ground is hard enough with a decent controller, but with those keys it's practically impossible.You may consider treating yourself by investing in a twist action joystick. I'd say, with the price of electronic equipment falling all the time, you'd probably find one very affordable.

Mike Beckwith

Is there a key assignment that snaps the rudder back to the neutral position? I keep swinging the plane from left to right and back again!
NUM 5 would be your key.If you look at the aircraft from the outside, you should be able to move the rudder, using the INS and Enter keys on the keypad.If you have Num lock enbled, the 5 key on the keypad should move it to the neutral position.

Bert