Sign in to follow this  
dsaddons

fsx.exe problem

Hi everyone, i have a problem starting FSX. I recently uninstalled and reinstalled FSX and it was running fine. I went to go install the service packs available and forgot to uninstall them from the previous fsx i just uninstalled. So i uninstalled sp1 and sp2 and installed sp1 on the reinstalled fsx but when i tried sp2 it said i need the english version of fsx to use the english sp2 and i have english for both. Then i just left it alone after downloading sp2 3 times and launched fsx and this came up after double clicking th fsx destop shortcut "the item 'fsx.exe' that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved , so this shortcut will no longer work properly." So then i check the FSX folder and fsx.exe isnt there anywhere in the folder. What do i do?

Guest firehawk44
Hi everyone, i have a problem starting FSX. I recently uninstalled and reinstalled FSX and it was running fine. I went to go install the service packs available and forgot to uninstall them from the previous fsx i just uninstalled. So i uninstalled sp1 and sp2 and installed sp1 on the reinstalled fsx but when i tried sp2 it said i need the english version of fsx to use the english sp2 and i have english for both. Then i just left it alone after downloading sp2 3 times and launched fsx and this came up after double clicking th fsx destop shortcut "the item 'fsx.exe' that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved , so this shortcut will no longer work properly." So then i check the FSX folder and fsx.exe isnt there anywhere in the folder. What do i do?
SP2 installs a new FSX.exe so, when you uninstalled SP2 it removed FSX.exe. You will have to completely uninstall FSX and make sure all FSX folders, hidden and unhidden, are deleted before you reinstall FSX (the orig), then SP1, then SP2. Start up FSX when you install the original version, close, then install SP1, restart FSX, then close, then install SP2. Hope this helps.Jim

well thats the problem. It's that i have or cannot find the fsx.exeis there anyway somone can send it to me or would that be illegal or are they different for each fsx copy?

#1 it is not legal and #2 it sounds as if your install is just screwed up enough to cause you trouble down the road.Bite the bullet - uninstall FSX COMPLETELY and remove all hidden folders, etc. Follow the steps posted earlier to install FSX/SP1 & SP2.At this point, doing it any other way will be a big waste of time.

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Guest firehawk44
It appears I led you astray in my response and wanted to correct it. I know it's probably too late but I did find a fix which Kendall (the 2nd poster in this thread) correctly stated was the solution, a registry repair. The full solution is here on the FS Insider website: http://www.fsinsider.com/tips/Pages/FSXSP2...ageonSetup.aspx. Best regards,Jim

I havent reinstalled it yet, and the solution from fsinsider you posted doesnt seem to work. What am i doing wrong?

I havent reinstalled it yet, and the solution from fsinsider you posted doesnt seem to work. What am i doing wrong?
Have you tried the registry repair tool linked earlier from Flight1? Sometimes it will work, but I have seen occasions where it doesn't solve certain issues. If the latter, I would then follow Jim's advice and do a complete uninstall/reinstall paying close attention to your install paths. What OS are you using? Vista? 64bit? Install paths are different in a 64 bit OS. Good luck!

Regards, Kendall

Its all good after a reinstall, I am doing SP1-and SP2 right now. Thanks everyone for all your help!