Sign in to follow this  
Guest aviation1972

Unattainable screen resolution setting in FS9 has shut my monitor down..... NEED HELP Restoring.

Guest aviation1972

I lost my head yesterday, and reset my screen resolution in FS9 from its normal setting of 1600 X 1200 X 32, to a higher setting, which my monitor cannot handle. So now, when I start FS9, my monitor won't perform at all, and shows nothing. I entered the FS9 config. file, and manually made sure my screen resolution shows the original, ( reliable ), setting of 1600 X 1200 X 32, but anyway, every time I start FS9, the monitor still tries to reach the resolultion I last set, ( the last time I was actually in Flight Sim 2004 using it ), and my monitor won't perform at all. I can't understand this because the FS9 config. file shows the proper screen resolution, but when I start FS9 the program attempts to reach beyond the 1600 X 1200 X 32 setting, and attempts to reach the ridiculous setting I dialed in the last time I was inside the program, ( the last time it functioned properly ). WHAT AM I OVERLOOKING......??? When I isolate the FS9 config. file, and allow a new one to be created at startup, my monitor performs just fine, ( at the very low screen resolution of 800 X 600 X 32 ), ( the default value ). I don't want to use the newly created FS9 config. file, because the older one is so heavily tweaked. I'd like to know how to identiify and adjust the setting within the older FS9 config. file, so my screen resolution will stop attempting to achieve an impossible setting when I start Flight Sim 2004.

I suggest you check your FS9.cfg again for any duplicate [DISPLAY.Device.(your GPU).0] entries.Assuming that does turn out to be the case, then just delete any duplicates to leave only the one entry above the [DISPLAY] block of entries.So, you would end up with something like:[DISPLAY.Device.(your GPU).0]Mode=1600x1200x32TriLinear=1[DISPLAY]Mike

I'd move the FS9.cfg file and let FS9 build a new one. Then copy your tweaks from the old cfg to the new one, or copy the new (working) resolution part from the new cfg to the old one (over the top of the unobtainable resultion) and return the old cfg to it's 'rightful' place.Make sense? :( Cheers, SLuggy

Whilst on the subject If I have 2 monitors should I see two [DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200.0] [DISPLAY]I only see one[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200.0]Mode=960x600x32AntiAlias=1RenderToTexture=0TnL=0MipBias=3[DISPLAY]which appears correctThanks in advanceTas.

Is it not possible to alt-enter to windowed mode? I recall having to do this once, when I talked to the local photo club about designing for the sim, and going from my 1680x1050 monitor to their 1024x768 projector gave that fun out of range error:) I'm pretty sure I went to windowed mode, changed the resolution then back to full-screen.