Sign in to follow this  
Guest Davidbiz

Download collateral damage!

Guest Davidbiz

I have been downloading files for a very long time and thank Avsim for the wonderful content we are allowed to enjoy. Unfortunately, something in one of the last few downloads has totally screwed up my aircraft wing lights and tower lights. They now appear in their square box form and I'm not sure how it happened. I deleted every download that I made over the past couple weeks but whatever happened, it seems to have overwritten a file or two in texture?? Does anyone have any idea what might have happened and how I can resolve the issue? I even tried downloading a new "bloom" but again, nothing changed.Thanks so much and I apologise if this is the incorrect forum but I couldn't figure out where I might post a question such as this.Davidbiz

Guest Gary Buska
I have been downloading files for a very long time and thank Avsim for the wonderful content we are allowed to enjoy. Unfortunately, something in one of the last few downloads has totally screwed up my aircraft wing lights and tower lights. They now appear in their square box form and I'm not sure how it happened. I deleted every download that I made over the past couple weeks but whatever happened, it seems to have overwritten a file or two in texture?? Does anyone have any idea what might have happened and how I can resolve the issue? I even tried downloading a new "bloom" but again, nothing changed.Thanks so much and I apologise if this is the incorrect forum but I couldn't figure out where I might post a question such as this.Davidbiz
Hello from Avsim.This is a easy fix what has happened is that your default lights have been changed. For starters it is not Avsim policy to provide support for any of the files you download that is why we insist on email address from the authors. Every down load also comes with a readme file. You should also get into a habit that before you install anything back up your files just for cases such as these. I will be glad to help you out . All of the lights are files that have a extension of FX and will be in your main texture folder and have names like navered.fx it is these files that got over written when you install any addon you should have got a warning message that there were files with the same name all ready on your system. At that point bells alarms and whistles should have gone off. NEVER OVERWRITE ANY FILE IN FS UNLESS YOU KNOW FOR SURE WHAT IT IS DOING. I need to know if this was in FSX OR FS2004 If you send me a email I will send you the files you need that should solve this problem. Email me at garyb@avsim.com

Guest Davidbiz
Hello from Avsim.This is a easy fix what has happened is that your default lights have been changed. For starters it is not Avsim policy to provide support for any of the files you download that is why we insist on email address from the authors. Every down load also comes with a readme file. You should also get into a habit that before you install anything back up your files just for cases such as these. I will be glad to help you out . All of the lights are files that have a extension of FX and will be in your main texture folder and have names like navered.fx it is these files that got over written when you install any addon you should have got a warning message that there were files with the same name all ready on your system. At that point bells alarms and whistles should have gone off. NEVER OVERWRITE ANY FILE IN FS UNLESS YOU KNOW FOR SURE WHAT IT IS DOING. I need to know if this was in FSX OR FS2004 If you send me a email I will send you the files you need that should solve this problem. Email me at garyb@avsim.com
Gary, I do appreciate your help. It's FSX. But oddly enough, I haven't downloaded or installed anything to the texture folder. I'm always very careful about that. I do remember one download that was an installer. I never like those! I always like to know exactly where files are going but I couldn't break this one down. Again, thanks so much and I'll take precautions against that happening again!! :( As I say, it just seems to be the navigation lights and tower lights....and even more oddly, only at various angles! Thanks for agreeing to send the files. I have actually tried to email you twice at the address you gave but they've both been returned by MAILER DAEMON! Is there another address I coud try?Thanks again,David (Davidbiz0303@aol.com)

Guest Gary Buska

Even with a installer just direct it to a dummy file then drag and drop where you want them. I have enclosed the files you need I was incorrect they are not in the texture folder but in the EFFECTS folder I have enclosed my entire effects folder. Before you do any thing make a backup copy of you EFFECTS folder put it completely out of FSX open my folder called FXFILES high light all of the files and cut and paste to your effects folder then overwrite this should solve the problem. Sorry about the bad email address it is gbuska@avsim.com bad day at work. :(

Guest Gary Buska
Gary, I thank you but it doesn't want me to download the Zip file. When I click on it I get an error saying I don't have permission. I've tried logging in and out but it won't let me download! Sorry! David
That is something I did not think about This is a new forum and I thought every one could download from it. Send me your regular email address to garymb@comcast.net and I will send it to you that way

Guest Davidbiz
That is something I did not think about This is a new forum and I thought every one could download from it. Send me your regular email address to garymb@comcast.net and I will send it to you that way
Gary, you're going above and beyond and I can't thank you enough. AVSIM is the best!!!I'll send you my email.David