Sign in to follow this  
dhwang

A trap for FPS tweaking

I have a few saved flights for FSX tweaking. Some of them can't run as fast as my locked FPS (20) and I use them to tweak FPS. This morning I loaded one which is supposed to be 18 FPS as I recall, but only run at 15 FPS. Anyway, I changed something in FSX.cfg and run the saved flight once again. Hey, it comes back to 18 FPS. Are the tweaks I've just changed in FSX.cfg give me 3 FPS more? No. I restore the FSX.cfg and this time the FPS is 18, not 15. Then I reboot my PC, it comes back to 15 again. However, just a reload will make the FPS return to 18.So the trap is:You might get a false impression if you do not reboot between tweaks.Hope this can help you to tweak FPS.

I have a few saved flights for FSX tweaking. Some of them can't run as fast as my locked FPS (20) and I use them to tweak FPS. This morning I loaded one which is supposed to be 18 FPS as I recall, but only run at 15 FPS. Anyway, I changed something in FSX.cfg and run the saved flight once again. Hey, it comes back to 18 FPS. Are the tweaks I've just changed in FSX.cfg give me 3 FPS more? No. I restore the FSX.cfg and this time the FPS is 18, not 15. Then I reboot my PC, it comes back to 15 again. However, just a reload will make the FPS return to 18.So the trap is:You might get a false impression if you do not reboot between tweaks.Hope this can help you to tweak FPS.
From what i remember reading over the years also is using the Shift-Z display can eatup about 3 FPS also. I think that was around the FS2000 days.

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

Guest Nick_N
good advice===================================================I use KSEA (SEATTLE) s the benchmark flight when I use the list above to tune a system, and, I DO NOT use any payware aircraft to tune... I use either the default Cessna, Baron or the default 747 for initial setup.I fly strait out runway 34 past Seattle, maintain 340 and 3000ft all the way down to the water past the next airport, then turn around to the east and land back as KSEA , RNY 163 areas I work the sliders and in that are I DO run UNLIMITED frame lock (your mileage may vary) a. On the runway at KSEAb. Just before the city of Seattle over the highways (just before the port around Boeing Field) c. Aprox 5 more miles north just past Lake Washington where massive scenery boundary files load upI REPEAT the above flight with 2 weather settings; 1. Fair Weather2. Building StormsI use those 2 'constant' weather themes to establish the sim settings with the 3 aircraft I mentioned and I do reboot the system between test flights=================================================http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=29041

From what i remember reading over the years also is using the Shift-Z display can eatup about 3 FPS also. I think that was around the FS2000 days.
I always fly with FPS and other information on, so my saved flights have them on as well. I can't explain why the second run (without reboot) will increase 3 FPS. Maybe it loads faster than the first time (due to memory cache), so FSX thinks it can run faster. Later loads aren't faster, so it won't run faster, either.

I agree, the reboot is absolutely necessary.My default saved benchmark flight is at KCHO and I turn off AI and clouds.The reboot is a pain but is the surest way of getting a reference flights with fps and/or smoothness.Pierre

Pierre